• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Flight numbers don't matter article

Because that wouldn't be any more useful. It would have to be "flies straight at X MPH air speed with Y degrees nose down at Z degrees hyzer with A amount off-axis torque in B direction at C RPM." Considering most have no way to accurately measure any of those variables when we throw I don't see how quantifying any of them would be useful.

It actually a lot less complicated that that. A disc that flies straight (i.e. not fading or turning) at a given speed is going to be stable at that speed regardless of angle or RPM, as long as it has had a few seconds after release to dampen any wobble and high/low nose angle. The only thing that would cause this to change would be altitude differences.

As far as coming up with fade or turn rates at low or high speed, they could just use a baseline RPM based off the average thrower.

Because that wouldn't be any more useful. It would have to be "flies straight at X MPH air speed with Y degrees nose down at Z degrees hyzer with A amount off-axis torque in B direction at C RPM." Considering most have no way to accurately measure any of those variables when we throw I don't see how quantifying any of them would be useful.

Like Vibram then?

I like the number system and can judge accordingly. I use a fan grip even for drivers because it's deadly accurate, but I get nowhere near the spin. Almost all the distance, but not quite. For me, the discs turn about a point less, and fade a point more, on average. It's a good gauge once you're familiar.

Speed/Glide/Turn/Fade great system

Agree re Inbounds and MS, but Joe's is assigning the same -, + numbers most mfgrs do. Besides, it's obsolete. Boss and Wraith same "difficulty" level...I don't think so!

Um... Joe's seems to only initially use the manufacturers assigned numbers then it gets updated. Not sure how far back if ever you need to see a boss and a wraith with the same power numbers but on my phone they are a 6 (highest) and 4 (typical fairway driver). Seems accurate to me.
Joes is also one of the few that put the Tern more understable than a Katana. I don't have much experience with the Tern but would agree and even Innovas charts put them the same some have them swapped.

Of course none are perfect but Joes has been pretty on for me.

Um... Joe's seems to only initially use the manufacturers assigned numbers then it gets updated. Not sure how far back if ever you need to see a boss and a wraith with the same power numbers but on my phone they are a 6 (highest) and 4 (typical fairway driver). Seems accurate to me.
Joes is also one of the few that put the Tern more understable than a Katana. I don't have much experience with the Tern but would agree and even Innovas charts put them the same some have them swapped.

Of course none are perfect but Joes has been pretty on for me.

Yeah, gets updated, but the damage is already done. ;) I heard him saying on DGR 3 years ago that he had to change a bunch of drivers #'s because of Blizzard, which is just screwy.

He has the Wraith at 4 now? Like what, Wraith=Teebird? Not likely, lol. Power, speed, or stability...which is it?

Flight numbers are a baseline starting place, but how much snap you put on a disc changes that flight considerably. Take a massively over stable disc with tons of fade - a pro with snap can make that disc go right (RHBH) or anhyzer it like the rating didn't exist. The faster the throw the more under stable than disc behaves.

Yeas, for reference only, as a base comparison point.

Nate Doss throws his Z Predator on long straight lines with very little fade.