• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Flip City!!

cocopop

Bogey Member
I am going to Michigan to play Flip and I am SIKED!! I will be there May 3,4, and 5. I plan to play as many other courses in the area as I can so anyone interested in gettin a round or 2 in over that time, send me a pm and we'll hook up!

The reason for the post is to find out which other courses in the area are must plays and play with locals from the site. I hear that area has some of the best courses around anywhere and I would love to schedule a round with those that are familiar with the area.

Thanx,
cocopop

Let me know what time you're planning to play Flip on May 3. Unfortunately, I have to work May 4 and 5. I haven't been up there yet this year so showing you around would be the perfect reason for me to make the drive.

We may be headed that direction for our first round on that course on May 1, but if it's later in the weekend, I'll let you know.

I'm betting everyone will tell you that you need to hit the courses in Ludington too....Beauty, Beast, Goliath, and Leviathan. Haven't been there yet, either, but soon.....

Its cool to hear your coming all the way from Florida to play!!! I'll tell you for sure your not gonna be disappointed!

Like volklgirl said, "Mason County Park" (Beauty, Beast, Goliath) is a must, all three courses are 24 holes and even though each individual course may not be rated 5 star courses, the whole park is for sure a 5 star disc golf destination. Leviathan is a good course too (very hard). Those are the only courses on the west side of the state I have played, so I cant really comment on anything else. And im not sure how your getting there (driving/flying) but if you are driving back and plan your route home down I-75, then I could suggestion a few more quality "must play" courses around my parts.

Last edited:
If you're going to be in Grand Rapids at all, stop by Johnson Park....it's a little primitive (pole holes), but very challenging and a great workout. If you're heading north toward Traverse City, you need to play Hickory Hills and Myles Kimmerly.

I should be ariving around 2 or 3 pm at Flip on May 3. I have read about Mason County and I do hope to get a round or 2 in there as well.

I would recommend Whitehall Township (very close to Flip) and Branstrom Park in Fremont (30 minutes). My buddy also has recommended Leviathan to me. If you go to traverse city, hit up Hickory Hills. Fallasburg Park in Lowell is awesome as well, not sure if you will be in the GR area.

If you're driving up from Florida, you can/should hit Madeline Bertrand in Niles. On the south end of the state, just past the Indiana border. It's the only Michigan course I've played so far, but I love it.

I played Flip CIty today for the first time...I had business in the Grand Rapids area and of course, I had to make the trek to Shelby...

The course truly does live up to the expectations...it is amazing that this is a private course and the labor of love of one man...the grounds, fairways, tees, rock sculptures, little sitting areas, EVERYTHING is awesome...the map in the little mailbox at tee 1 was superb and the course was easy to navigate. I really liked the 1A - 6A holes, what a great idea...

I've played a total of 258 courses in 4 countries and this is definately in my top 5... Each time I get to the GR area, I will definately work Flip City into my plans...

I am going to try and make it there sometime this summer. It'll be a loooooong drive :)

Glad you enjoyed Flip Doc John, waiting to see your review on it. :)

A few of us from Wisconsin are making our pilgrimage this year on June 26 and camping there overnight and playing it again on the 27th then up to Ludington for their beautiful courses.

Greg? Care to meet us there? Anyone else?

Maybe I could arrange to go there that weekend.. I'll have to see what I have going on. Might be fun to have a DGCR mini-meet.

Maybe I could arrange to go there that weekend.. I'll have to see what I have going on. Might be fun to have a DGCR mini-meet.

That would be incredible. It's where I grew up as a kid so you def would have an ultimate tour guide for courses, bars, and local secrets. Currently there are three of us for the weekend.

Getting there Thursday night, staying in Grand Haven
Camping Friday at Flip, staying Saturday night in Ludington.

I used to drive from Saratoga Springs(where I used to live as well) straight through NY, across Canada on their "autobahn" then straight across Mich. It's a pretty fast trip

Last edited:
Tom, Tim:
I could be at Flip at 8am on Saturday, June 27. I'm not sure if my boss would let me out of work early on June 26, but if that's the day you guys would be there I could certainly try. Let me know what you're thinking.

Oh, and John, I'm so glad you enjoyed Flip. Maybe I can play with you next time you're here.

That would be cool Greg...hopefully we can play a few in Kentwood, by where we are styaing Saturday after we are done with work...

Tom, Tim:
I could be at Flip at 8am on Saturday, June 27. I'm not sure if my boss would let me out of work early on June 26, but if that's the day you guys would be there I could certainly try. Let me know what you're thinking.

Right now, four of us from WI will be camping there the 26th, and 27th. Early round on the 27th, then up to Ludington. I like Tim's idea of doing a mini-DGCR meet there. I'll put up another post in the next day or two and see what/who we can get. :)

OOOOoooo... This is sounding like fun. I'll have to see if I have enough left over after my Belize trip in Feb:).

Latest posts