• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Florida Vacation

If you are in Orlando, Turley lake is right there. T2 is one of my favorite courses.

As far as the west coast, Picnic Island is a must.

Turkey Lake is within 15 minutes of Embassy Suites where we are staying at. I believe that I may get in around or two at each course there. Depending on time, I might not get a chance to play in Clearwater but am favoring a chance to play Picnic Island. Thanks for all the advice. I also completely neglected the fact that there might be gators on the coursrs down there! In Kansas, we only worry about ticks, poison ivy and a very rare rattlesnake.

Really don't worry about gators, at least at Turkey Lakes. But you can ask at the entrance station to the park.

Unless it's changed since I was last there, both Turkey Lake courses loop back to the parking lot for distinct front & back 9s. Meaning you have 4 9-hole loops from the parking lot, convenient for filling however much available time you have.

Still true. Very easy to stop back at the car or mix and match courses.

I played both Medard and Picnic today and given both courses current set up and conditions I have to recommend Medard right now (a lot more shade for one thing). It is a lot closer to Orlando also. 22nd St or Limona could be easily paired with Medard for a fun day trip.

Medard is definitely super nice. Shame you missed strawberry season in Plant City, though.

If you don't want to leave Orlando and prefer a technical course, Turkey Lake will do the trick.

Phantom, how did your vacation go?

I'll probably be headed to Tampa/Clearwater for the 4th of July weekend. Which courses did you like? Also, for the locals, are there any courses that are particularly bad, bug-wise?

Phantom, how did your vacation go?

I'll probably be headed to Tampa/Clearwater for the 4th of July weekend. Which courses did you like? Also, for the locals, are there any courses that are particularly bad, bug-wise?

I guess you missed the "mosquitos ran me off the course" thread.

I guess you missed the "mosquitos ran me off the course" thread.

That's part of the reason I'm asking. Here in Miami, this time of year, I'll be eaten alive at the Palmetto Bay course, both by mosquitoes and deer flies. But at Kendall, I'll just get one or two bites. I don't know the Tampa courses, so I'd love to know if Cliff Stevens, or Picnic Island, or Riverfront, or any others are better or worse right now.

That's part of the reason I'm asking. Here in Miami, this time of year, I'll be eaten alive at the Palmetto Bay course, both by mosquitoes and deer flies. But at Kendall, I'll just get one or two bites. I don't know the Tampa courses, so I'd love to know if Cliff Stevens, or Picnic Island, or Riverfront, or any others are better or worse right now.

I would bring bug spray to any of the greater Tampa area courses during the rainy season. The better courses have plenty of water hazards on them, and a lot have standing water after heavy rains.