• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Florida

I'm going to be in the Tampa area (Madeira Beach) for vacation in June and plan on playing all of these. I plan on playing 1 or 2 courses each day early in the morning while the wife and kids sleep late.

I think I'm going to be able to take the better part of one day to travel a little farther though. Which course combo would you choose: Turkey Lake/Turkeynator in Orlando or North water Tower Park/North Charlotte Regional to the south?

Or should I save the driving time and play 4 or 5 other Tampa Area courses?

Thats a tough call. The Turkey courses are very nice, as is the park where they are located. So, if you are traveling with the wife and children, Turkey Lake for sure. If going solo, or with other DG'ers, I would blow out as many Tampa area courses as I could, while there.

There are 3 good courses in Sarasota, combined with 1 good and one ok course in Venice, and the very good Port Charlotte course would make for a good trip on its own. The new N Ft Myers course is also coming along nicely, and is also not to far away.

Also, there are 4 solid courses in Orlando, and some other good ones nearby, which could make for another good sperate vacation on its own.

If any of you make it down this far, hit me up if you want to throw, or need a guide.

Last edited:
My inlaws live in Brooksville so we go down there about once a year- Ocala Greenway is the best permanent course I have played in Florida.

I can't believe I forgot Taylor...Taylor is amazing. I wouldn't do the Venice/Fort Myers run. It isn't any better than what you will find in Tampa, Sarasota and Orlando. The Venice course is basically a pitch and putt. The Port Charolette course should be nice. I haven't played the new layout. Greenway in Ocala along with Jonesville and Northside in Gainesville are solid courses but again, you already have enough between Tampa, Brandon and Orlando to get to.

I can't believe I forgot Taylor...Taylor is amazing. I wouldn't do the Venice/Fort Myers run. It isn't any better than what you will find in Tampa, Sarasota and Orlando. The Venice course is basically a pitch and putt. The Port Charolette course should be nice. I haven't played the new layout. Greenway in Ocala along with Jonesville and Northside in Gainesville are solid courses but again, you already have enough between Tampa, Brandon and Orlando to get to.

I'm guessing you're refering to the 9 holer Pinebrook in Venice, not the newer MUCH longer Venice course at Bird Bay.:D

I agree. Cliff/Coachman are fine courses, but I too prefer Taylor, and Medard. That new Tampa course should be interesting. Don't forget about Picnic Island either. Its only 9 holes, but they are a cool 9 holes.

i definitely prefer medard, but taylor is a solid 4th in the tampa area for me

I'm going to be in the Tampa area (Madeira Beach) for vacation in June and plan on playing all of these. I plan on playing 1 or 2 courses each day early in the morning while the wife and kids sleep late.

I think I'm going to be able to take the better part of one day to travel a little farther though. Which course combo would you choose: Turkey Lake/Turkeynator in Orlando or North water Tower Park/North Charlotte Regional to the south?

Or should I save the driving time and play 4 or 5 other Tampa Area courses?

tough to say. if you were in tampa, it'd probably be worth the drive to turkey lake, over playing the middling tampa courses

but madeira beach is really close to all those and a further 20-25 minutes from orlando than tampa is. tough to get there, play and get back without taking most of the day.

Picnic Island has the approval for expansion to 18, baskets allegedly have been ordered.

where are they going to go? there didnt seem to be too much additional space there. the other side of the road?

Medard park is my favorite park in FL, and I've played quite a few. Turkey Lake is also very excellent, including a 900 ft hole from the long pad.

I have not seen much love south of Orlando. Wickham Park in Melbourne and Gordy Road in Ft Pierce are great & right off I95 on your way down to Ft. Lauderdale / Miami area for sun, fun & all our new & vintage courses.

Whats the best league night in orlando? A friend and I will be in Orlando next Friday to the following Friday. Saw the Barnett Park dubs on Tuesday - is that our best option? thx

Whats the best league night in orlando? A friend and I will be in Orlando next Friday to the following Friday. Saw the Barnett Park dubs on Tuesday - is that our best option? thx

it has to be at night? i play in the handicaps on turkey lake saturday mornings, but id also recommend playing either the doubles at turkey lake friday night or debary on saturday evening.

barnett is probably going to disappoint most out of towners

Hey reposado; who are you btw?

As for the question on league. A lot of good ones to choose from.
But if you can make the Monday 5pm doubles at DeBary; it's always a fun time regardless of whether you draw a good partner or not.

Hey reposado; who are you btw?

that's exactly who i am.

but um, i dont play in the debary league. i just know the course and know that a lot of people play there. unless you're one of a few debary locals that i've returned a disc too.(my cell has a maine area code) you don't know me.

Good looking out. I will talk with him about headn out to Debary Monday night. That may work the best as far as when his family arrives as well as mine. Lookn forward to some out of state league action. We are def hittn Turkey Lake one day for sure for a casual rd.

Cypress Point is in

The Champ's new course is now playable. There is a map floating around on the tampa bay disc sports club page on facebook. Par 66 deliciousness, two par 5's. From what I hear the inaugural doubles event is set for 3 pm sunday, hosted by the Champ.

Hey guys. Just found this thread. Recently moved from Ohio/Michigan to Lakeland. I've only played Limona and Medard down here so far. Looking forward to playing the rest on this list. For those in the Lakeland area I recently spoke to the Polk County parks and recreation director. He said plans have been approved to build a course at Loyce E. Harpe park off carter road. Such a beautiful land to build on. Hope they consult some disc golfers in building a quality course

new course opening in delray beach. I dont live in palm beach county anymore but apparently it is going to be more technical, with par in the range of 60.

It will be a nice compliment to Okeeheelee and Commons

I have spoken with Gregg Hosfeld about the park because his company would be doing the course design which would be great. A week ago he stated that there has been no progress from the Parks Department to get it started. I have tried to contact the park via FB to see if there is any more info we can get. Perhaps we need to keep talking about it to drum up interest and help get the ball rolling. I am ready for a course closer to my house and Loyce Harpe Park would be great.