• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

flurry of Pendleton King Park reviews

I'm going to have to get out there sometime this summer when I'm home and check this course out. I've been wanting to play a few of the courses in Augusta, but the Hippodrome is only 25 minutes or so from my house

should be a general rule that whoever sees a new questionable review for pendleton copies it into this thread for posterity

See the website you're on? Might want to read the title. That's kind of our business here.

I understand, and I too, read the reviews to determine what courses I would like to play. Ultimately I want to play ALL disc courses, regardless of ratings. I have yet to play a course I didn't like. All I was trying to say was to take the reviews with a grain of salt. Everyone has some sort of bias.

I played Stoney Hill based on the reviews it received. Was it an awesome course? YES....Did I feel rushed through the course(s)? YES....Does that detract from the course itself? YES and NO

No offense intended to the Sauls.....but our "guide" was off to the next tee box before we even finished putting out, I did not play well that day due to the pressure I felt to "Hurry Up". Had I been able to play at my own pace I would have enjoyed the course much more.

I did not write a review of Stoney Hill because it really is an awesome layout, and I didn't want to rag on the Sauls for rushing us. ( I must say, for the record, that I was almost an hour late for my tee time, but coming from 3 states away to play, things happen on the road that cause delays)

So because of my bias, I did not write a review.

I wouldn't worry about it Binky. Sometimes I like to play the good courses a few times to get a good feel for it, before I settle down and write up a review. Sometimes I can play a course once and know whether it's good or not and can review it that day.

I look at all reviews (Trusted Reviewer reviews, Drive-by reviews, and DGCR member reviews) and can pretty much know what to expect of a course. It's nice to see people appreciate the work that Fast Eddie and the crew have done to make the course better.

It's also nice to see a little content to those reviews other than telling me "How clean it is" or "Fast Eddie is THE MAN". That doesn't quite paint a picture of the whole course. WHAT ELSE is so great about it to get a 5.0 (Best of THE BEST) DGCR rating?

I know I'd like the appreciation and thank yous for all the work I put into my course. It's an honor and all, but I'd rather hear and read about the other things people like and dislike about my course so I can go and improve it to hopefully sniff the elusive 5.0 disc rating someday.

I was in GA for vacation over Easter break and passed on PKP to play 2 other courses with similar disc ratings. Just too many conflicting reports on PKP to really gauge if it would be worth the extra drive.

I know that I didn't know how to write a great review when I did my first reviews on here in 2008. Sure, they had content, were interesting, and had correct spelling, etc, yet was thumbed down because I rated them lower than the norm. Discouraged, I didn't write any more reviews for some time, but eventually got back on the horse and did my best to back up my ratings in the meat of my reviews.

I ended up playing Alexander Park (B+) and Little Mulberry Park (A-) which would be in the 3.75-4.25 ratings range. Both were clean. Both were fun. Neither had a Fast Eddie. But, I did meet a few local players at both courses, AND they were friendly too!

Last edited:
I ended up playing Alexander Park (B+) and Little Mulberry Park (A-) which would be in the 3.75-4.25 ratings range. Both were clean. Both were fun. Neither had a Fast Eddie. But, I did meet a few local players at both courses, AND they were friendly too!

Agreed for sure.

In my opinion, LMP is a 4, Alex is a 3.5, and PKP a 3 (as far as DGCR ratings go)

Wise choice not to drive to Augusta just to play PKP. There's a time and place for PKP to be played ... but it's not as a destination course to drive 3hrs from metro ATL to and only play it.

Agreed for sure.

In my opinion, LMP is a 4, Alex is a 3.5, and PKP a 3 (as far as DGCR ratings go)

Wise choice not to drive to Augusta just to play PKP. There's a time and place for PKP to be played ... but it's not as a destination course to drive 3hrs from metro ATL to and only play it.

I can agree
Both solid courses. Not the greatest, not the worst, but good courses. Anyone who enjoys disc golf would love to have these kind of courses nearby. Even though they have a few shortcomings, they did good with the land they were allowed to use and they are still good courses in my book.

BONUS: It's also the first time I seen sod laid out throughout the fairways IN THE WOODS. Now I'm jealous :p

Agreed for sure.

that time is really when you are playing multiple courses in augusta area

I did not write a review of Stoney Hill because it really is an awesome layout, and I didn't want to rag on the Sauls for rushing us. ( I must say, for the record, that I was almost an hour late for my tee time, but coming from 3 states away to play, things happen on the road that cause delays)

So because of my bias, I did not write a review.

You are lucky you were even allowed to play after being a hour late! Of course you were rushed, you jumped in the middle of other people's scheduled rounds and impacted them negatively. Your review should have been based on the course alone, tempered by the knowledge of how the round would have gone if you'd shown up on time.

The simple fact is that while you might enjoy playing all courses, you are in the vast minority at least on this site. I personally love that reviewers on this site are very critical and demanding. That way I don't have to play boring courses, and I know what I'm getting when I arrive. I feel like the PKP people are doing both Fast Eddie and their course a disservice by over-inflating the ratings on the course. Being a 3.5-4* course is nothing to be ashamed of. In fact it would put you in the upper echelon of the courses near me. But the simple fact is that despite what Millennials think, not everyone is special or a winner. But not getting the top score doesn't mean you're a loser either.

I'd be the first to admit that I massively over-rated the first course I ever played (Carter Park, in Bowling Green OH) until I'd played a few more courses, so maybe it's just lack of experience that leads to the bloated ratings, but I don't think so. For those who are members of this site for the long haul, I hope you'll do what I did and update your review the way I did mine (lowered my beloved Carter from 4* to 2*). It would be a shame for people to show up at your favorite course and be let down. Under-promise and over-deliver is a better way in my opinion.

You are lucky you were even allowed to play after being a hour late! Of course you were rushed, you jumped in the middle of other people's scheduled rounds and impacted them negatively. Your review should have been based on the course alone, tempered by the knowledge of how the round would have gone if you'd shown up on time.

Well Puckstopper, you are correct, I was lucky they allowed me to play, it is a private course, and they were very hospitable, and seemed like genuinely nice people.

You are making quite a few assumptions, however....we were the only tee time that day, there were no other rounds scheduled that we interfered with (that I was aware of), never saw another soul the entire time we were there. We apologized and explained why we were late, we were never told that they were on a timetable or had other plans, we could have just as easily driven up the road to play another course, if that were the case.

For reasons unknown to me, our guide left us standing at the basket on many, many holes. Here we are at a course that requires a "guide" and our guide runs off and leaves us....wouldn't you feel rushed? How would the round have gone if we were on time?....probably just as badly if we were rushed through it....were we rushed because we were late?....or would we have been rushed, regardless....only the Sauls can answer that one.

....I would easily give Stoney Hill a 4.5 or better. A lot of thought went into Stoney Hill, and even more hard work and effort. The Sauls are good folk. However, I did leave those rounds feeling a bit run down and slightly frustrated.

Again, my only point was and is, everyone has a bias. It is almost impossible for humans to be completely objective, about anything.
So everything about a disc golf experience helps to create those bias', including dog parks, camellia gardens, repetitive holes, missing baskets, or a tank to climb on.

Can one separate a disc course from it's surroundings when writing a review?....I suppose it is possible, but what is the point.... it's the whole experience overall that forms one's opinion.

Well Puckstopper, you are correct, I was lucky they allowed me to play, it is a private course, and they were very hospitable, and seemed like genuinely nice people.

You are making quite a few assumptions, however....we were the only tee time that day, there were no other rounds scheduled that we interfered with (that I was aware of), never saw another soul the entire time we were there. We apologized and explained why we were late, we were never told that they were on a timetable or had other plans, we could have just as easily driven up the road to play another course, if that were the case.

For reasons unknown to me, our guide left us standing at the basket on many, many holes. Here we are at a course that requires a "guide" and our guide runs off and leaves us....wouldn't you feel rushed? How would the round have gone if we were on time?....probably just as badly if we were rushed through it....were we rushed because we were late?....or would we have been rushed, regardless....only the Sauls can answer that one.

....I would easily give Stoney Hill a 4.5 or better. A lot of thought went into Stoney Hill, and even more hard work and effort. The Sauls are good folk. However, I did leave those rounds feeling a bit run down and slightly frustrated.

Again, my only point was and is, everyone has a bias. It is almost impossible for humans to be completely objective, about anything.
So everything about a disc golf experience helps to create those bias', including dog parks, camellia gardens, repetitive holes, missing baskets, or a tank to climb on.

Can one separate a disc course from it's surroundings when writing a review?....I suppose it is possible, but what is the point.... it's the whole experience overall that forms one's opinion.

Just out of curiosity, did you ask your guide if they would be willing to slow down a bit? My experience at Stoney Hill (and that of several other people whose opinions I trust) was quite the opposite. Our host was accomodating, friendly, and willing to play at the pace we were going including when we wanted to take multiple shots off of the elevated tees or on the water shots. I suppose it's possible that his pace and our pace happened to match up perfectly, but that seems unlikely. It might be worth considering that your guide was simply trying not to slow you down knowing that you were behind your own personal schedule or that he was trying to give you the chance to socialize within your group by giving you space.

Either way, you are of course welcome to your opinion. Mine is that the course itself stands as a layout that's worthy of a high rating and that the guiding isn't something that affects that either way (if it did, that would have bumped Stoney Hill up to a 5 for me but it's not something I take into account to come up with a numerical rating).

Well, I hoped that would all pass, but.....Binky may well be right. I'm not sure if I was the guide, but I tend to play fast and walk towards the next tee, even in tournaments. I'm also cognizant that people may have preferred to play without a guide, and so with the imposition of requiring one, I try not to slow people down.

It is a drawback of Stoney Hill---as it was when I visited Flyboy and Sugaree---that a guide is required the first time around, and may not quite fit with the group visiting. Superberry, in his review of Stoney Hill, said he'd have preferred to play without a guide, and I respect that.

For what it's worth, we're planning to revise the hole numbering system for the overlapping layouts, and put up signs that will make it much easier to play unguided, if desired.

The simple fact is that while you might enjoy playing all courses, you are in the vast minority at least on this site. I personally love that reviewers on this site are very critical and demanding. That way I don't have to play boring courses, and I know what I'm getting when I arrive.

well. personally, i enjoy playing all courses. even those i rate at 2 or less discs, i enjoy playing. with few exceptions, i have had a good time on every course ive played. if i rate a course at 3.0 that doesnt mean i didnt like playing it, it just means i liked it less than courses i rated higher.

i just played 2.0s this weekend. i might not return to them, but very much enjoyed the round i played.

.......but I tend to play fast and walk towards the next tee, even in tournaments. I'm also cognizant that people may have preferred to play without a guide, and so with the imposition of requiring one, I try not to slow people down......

very much appreciated by some. although, personally, if someone was playing faster than me, i wouldnt be mad. i would be shocked

Latest posts