• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Flying Basket of Death and Destruction Build Thread

...which leads to this

what about a flying casket of death...think about it.

all your loved ones help carry your casket to the grave. they place it down over the lowering ropes. a few words are spoken, some tears shed. And just when they are about to lower you into your eternal resting place...BOOM SHOOO BOOM! Your casket flies off into the heavens.

Now that would be the best rocket show ever

...which leads to this

all your loved ones help carry your casket to the grave. they place it down over the lowering ropes. a few words are spoken, some tears shed. And just when they are about to lower you into your eternal resting place...BOOM SHOOO BOOM! Your casket flies off into the heavens.

Viking style rocket sendoff?

...which leads to this

It's been done:

https://makezine.com/2010/10/27/rocketmans-flying-coffin-of-dead/

ahh, I forgot it was the 21st century and bored people everywhere have done all sorts of nonsensical things.

Considering we're posting in a forum predicated on a sport that involves spending copious amounts of time throwing round pieces of plastic in parks...hello kettle this is pot speaking. ;)

So as an update...I've managed to get everything (I think) to rebuild this insanity. Got a bunch of carbon fiber tube for the spokes and lower basket. 1000mm x 16mm carbon fiber tubes are expensive and they're a real PITA to cut yo. I have 30 cuts to make and each one takes about 15 minutes unless I can figure out a quicker and safe way to cut it. CF dust is super duper nasty so I can't just chop it up with anything other than hand tools.

I've got a plan formulated now it's just a matter of making it all happen.

Considering we're posting in a forum predicated on a sport that involves spending copious amounts of time throwing round pieces of plastic in parks...hello kettle this is pot speaking. ;)

So as an update...I've managed to get everything (I think) to rebuild this insanity. Got a bunch of carbon fiber tube for the spokes and lower basket. 1000mm x 16mm carbon fiber tubes are expensive and they're a real PITA to cut yo. I have 30 cuts to make and each one takes about 15 minutes unless I can figure out a quicker and safe way to cut it. CF dust is super duper nasty so I can't just chop it up with anything other than hand tools.

I've got a plan formulated now it's just a matter of making it all happen.

Can that be cut with one of those clamp style pipe cutters? If I recall, that's what I seen somebody cut carbon fiber arrow shafts to length....but it was eons ago I witnessed that.

Something like this?

https://www.amazon.com/RIDGID-32975...pe+cutter&qid=1568602252&sprefix=pipe+&sr=8-3

Dremel tool cutting wheel and have the shop vac hose sitting there to collect the dust as it comes off.;)

Ehhhhh I think I am going to explore some different hand tool options first. Like the below...

Can that be cut with one of those clamp style pipe cutters? If I recall, that's what I seen somebody cut carbon fiber arrow shafts to length....but it was eons ago I witnessed that.

Something like this?

https://www.amazon.com/RIDGID-32975...pe+cutter&qid=1568602252&sprefix=pipe+&sr=8-3

Hah funny you mention that. I am going to stop at a hardware store sometime today to get one of those and see how it goes.

Ehhhhh I think I am going to explore some different hand tool options first. Like the below...

Hah funny you mention that. I am going to stop at a hardware store sometime today to get one of those and see how it goes.

If I recall, as long as you don't smash on the shaft and crush it, it should go okay. Don't quote me on that though lol

Well that produced less than satisfactory results. I think I can use a tubing cutter to score a nice line to follow but I really need to use a coping saw or something similar to make the majority of the cut. I could tell that as I progressed with the tubing cutter as it got deeper into the material strands of CF were starting to de-laminate a little. If that happens it kinda defeats the purpose of using CF.

Time for an update - but no pictures cause I am lazy. I've learned a few things about cutting CF tubing:

- A coping saw is far and away the best hand tool for cutting this. Once I have the line scored to follow for cutting this process is much easier.
- Cut outside and have a plethora of wet wipes of some sort to constantly wipe the CF off to prevent the dust from blowing around.
- The pipe cutter works excellent for scoring a line where the cut needs to go but will not cut the CF tube all the way through. Not even close.
- Coping saw blades only last two maybe three cuts at the most.

So all the parts for the lower octagon have been cut so far and I am going to use 45 degree bends to connect these sections together. The CF tubing matches the outer diameter of 1/2" CPVC piping perfectly so for about $8 I got a bag full 45 degree bends to make the two octagon sections for the bottom of the basket almost exact. So far, so good.

Time for an update - but no pictures cause I am lazy. I've learned a few things about cutting CF tubing:

- A coping saw is far and away the best hand tool for cutting this. Once I have the line scored to follow for cutting this process is much easier.
- Cut outside and have a plethora of wet wipes of some sort to constantly wipe the CF off to prevent the dust from blowing around.
- The pipe cutter works excellent for scoring a line where the cut needs to go but will not cut the CF tube all the way through. Not even close.
- Coping saw blades only last two maybe three cuts at the most.

So all the parts for the lower octagon have been cut so far and I am going to use 45 degree bends to connect these sections together. The CF tubing matches the outer diameter of 1/2" CPVC piping perfectly so for about $8 I got a bag full 45 degree bends to make the two octagon sections for the bottom of the basket almost exact. So far, so good.

Could you devise a method to supply a small stream of water over the cut? I'm envisioning our band saw at work that just dribbles lube over the blade. Maybe a garden hose with the valve barely cracked? Would help keep dust down. Or some kind of vessel with a hole and valve in the bottom?

Could you devise a method to supply a small stream of water over the cut? I'm envisioning our band saw at work that just dribbles lube over the blade. Maybe a garden hose with the valve barely cracked? Would help keep dust down. Or some kind of vessel with a hole and valve in the bottom?

Actually, I was strongly considering is renting a wet tile saw with a diamond blade. Problem is I think most rental places measure the wear on the blade and I am afraid this CF is going to destroy the diamond and I'll be on the hook for replacing the diamond blade. This method is going pretty well so albeit slow and I don't have a lot of money into the tools.

Update time!

Progress is SLOW but progressing. So first I have been wrestling with how to make a 135 connection horizontally and then a 90 degree connection vertically and make it work with the materials on hand namely the super expensive 16mm OD carbon tubing I bought and have been cutting to length. The solution is 1/2" CPVC bends. But then how to do the vertical section for the supports? Well in this first photo you can see the carnage from trying to use an 11/16" paddle bit and a 11/16" regular bit in my drill press. Those were a tad scary as my bits would usually jam on the pieces. No bueno.

So instead of that mess I went with the interior diameter which is 12mm and found that a 7/16 dowel is pretty danged close to that ID. So I started drilling out 7/16" holes in the center of the elbows. In the second photo yeah I know it isn't quite centered but hey, these elbows are super cheap and I bought extras. I will of course dry fit everything together before committing to glue. The third photo is my super janky set up to hold the elbows in place as I drill. This size bit is MUCH easier to deal with on these parts. With a cordless drill it didn't take long to switch out elbows.

Attachments

• IMG_2591.jpg
    IMG_2591.jpg
    134.7 KB · Views: 19
  • IMG_2586.jpg
    IMG_2586.jpg
    67.6 KB · Views: 16
  • IMG_2585.jpg
    IMG_2585.jpg
    126.6 KB · Views: 13
So I do realize that my previous post is not going to make a lot of sense why I am going through all that trouble. THese next three photos will make a lot more sense then. I'm going to cut up 7/16" dowels to about 1 3/4" and stick them into the drilled hole then the CF tubing can slide right over the top. There is a tiny bit of slop between the ID of the tube and the OD of the dowels and that's ok. I may need that tiny bit to get everything to line up. It's not like I am breaking mach with this thingy. I'll be lucky to break 500' haha.

Attachments

• IMG_2587.jpg
    IMG_2587.jpg
    94.7 KB · Views: 13
  • IMG_2588.jpg
    IMG_2588.jpg
    98.3 KB · Views: 16
  • IMG_2590.jpg
    IMG_2590.jpg
    149.6 KB · Views: 17
Dry fit time! Crucial step prior to even dreaming of putting any glue on the project. Things seem to fit together even though its a little off here and there but I think I can get it all snugged up ok. Next is to wet sand all those CF ends to make them more glue-able.

Attachments

• IMG_2594.jpg
    IMG_2594.jpg
    153.2 KB · Views: 25