• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Flywood

Missed some of the replies...

Flywood is not currently doing custom cuts. He is trying to keep up with orders in a timely fashion and custom slows it down too much.

Minis: Flywood attempted to do minis a few times. The hope was that he could use the small sections between the full size discs when he cut them out from the larger sheet, but it ended up that the wood was way too thick, took too much work to trim down on the lathe and usually ended up warping. To do it right would require a whole separate sheet to be pressed... and since he's working so hard to keep up with regular orders, that's off for now. I still hope to see these sometime as well.

The term "legal/illegal" is not correct. Flywood is not "approved" for PDGA play. Otherwise, you can certainly use them in any casual game, non-PDGA sanctioned league or non-PDGA event.

Just talked to Brad at Flywood today. Seems he is getting busy with orders for Christmas presents... now would be a good time to place an order if you want to get it on time.

are most people using these for display or actual throwers?

I'd say it's about 50/50 out of what I've sold. Regardless, the one thing that is consistent is that I sell one to about 80% of the people whom actually pick one up and hold it in their hand. The artisan craftsmanship and the natural beauty of them sells itself, whether you want to throw them or hang them.

There's a local guy who has bought 5 of them from me, just to hang up. I think he's trying to get one of every color.

Me, I throw them. There are pics of all of my throwers starting on page 13 of this topic: http://www.dgcoursereview.com/forums/showthread.php?t=49146&page=13

Last edited:
My buddy has one and will putt with it on occasion during casual rounds. It makes an awesome sound when it hits the chains!

It's been a while since I posted what I have available from Flywood, but with this recent shipment... there's a little something new that everyone has asked me about for over 2 years.

MINI's are here! :cool:

CcBDlnq.jpg

Here's what's what in the pic above:
173g Log putter (purple)
193g Log putter (orange)
170g Harvest midrange (purple with circle branding bottom stamp)
160g Harvest midrange (yellow)
143g Walking Stick driver (black)
162g Walking Stick driver (yellow)
177g Prototype driver (natural)
mini (yellow)
mini (purple)

MnYEVdP.jpg

Hey, look at that ^. That's right, that's a Gateway stash-mini... tucked nice and snug into one of the Flywood minis. A perfect fit. ;)

I've only got the two mini's shown for now, so if you want 'em now/don't want to wait, send me a PM.
Otherwise, you can check out all the current stock or place an order at http://flywooddiscgolf.com/orderflywooddiscs.html
Get 'em before they're gone.

Last edited:
Way cool!!

Bieng a wood enthuaiast, I've always wondered about a disc in a different material such as wood.

The fact that their not pdga approved is great! We really need to push the boundaries of the disc to make the sport better.

Which will require setting our own paramaters as a manufacturer, not the other way around.

Go wood!

I understand there is probably a great deal of craftsmanship and care that go into making these wood discs, but when did the price increase to $50 a piece?!? I may be mistaken, but I thought they were previously priced in the $20-30 range.

Edit: StubbornPuppet had them for sale here on the forum for $28 a year ago. Skulboy Designs has them for $29. The Flywood Shop currently has them at $50 a piece. Maybe it's an error...

Last edited:
I wish it were an error. They did used to sell for $30, but he does not charge any shipping or tax.

The $50 is for specific orders. If he hasn't made it already and you want to request a specific color and weight... he has to make a special effort to laminate the 6 sheets of 4'X-8' sugar maple plies, then cut out 32 discs of that color... and take them all to completion. So, maybe he didn't need 31 extra discs of a certain color... but you want one.

BUT, he did raise his prices on pre-made stock to $37 (instead of $30) All of the regular discs on his Etsy page run around that price. There are a few of them which cost more...

It's kind of a long and painful story - the short of it is:
He took a net loss on every disc sold for the first 3 years. I know, not the consumers fault... but anyhow, he also recently lost his primary source of income and is now looking to Flywood as a solitary income source. So, he is being more conscious of actual costs involved.

I know that he is also doing more layers of wood on each disc, especially the Log (putter). More layers equals more resistance to warping from humidity. Also, he is using a more expensive glue to laminate now. It is also more resistant to warping from humidity and, especially, while drying. So, that's a good thing... just costs a bit more.

The discs I sold and the discs Skulboy has for sale were purchased before his change and made of stock he already had available.

Bottom line: he needs to get his website guy back on board to help him straighten out the confusion of having 2-3 different stores and to make it more specific as to what costs what and why. Me, I love his discs and do what I can, as a fan, to help him succeed.

Last edited:
Wow, this guy is in incredible trouble. His demand has outpaced his abilty to keep up with production set up.

So he raises prices in hopes of slowing things down a bit.

He needs to start training an assistant/apprentice to learn what he knows.

Beautiful, another disc golf co. is born. This one being born out of the trees, literally in his backyard.

Talk about sustainable!!

Latest posts