• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

For all you forehand throwers...

S.Cann

Eagle Member
Gold level trusted reviewer
How do you prevent the inside rim from rubbing against your index finger.

This not only causes blisters/callouses, but also causes some OAT. I have switched my grip to minimize it (now using the two finger grip with the index finger against the middle finger supporting). I also tape my index finger with athletic tape before every round.

Any ideas?

I grip the disc so it's lower on my index finger, rather than tucking the disc all the way into the 'web' of the hand. So the inside rim rests on the outside of the big knuckle rather than inside of it, and it doesn't seem to rub quite as much. But however u grip it, it can cause blisters if u throw too much.

Let a blister/callous form. Problem solved.

Uncomfortable post is uncomfortable. ^

:p ;)

That solves part of it... Still doesn't resolve the OAT that will come from the rim catching on callous...

The OAT I can't help you with. I'm surprised it's actually catching on the callous. If you've already got a callous there, maybe try throwing a bit more and see if it "wears down" so it doesn't catch. :shrugsmiley:

I throw one finger forehands. Not a lot of rubbing going on.

Not sure what to make of it, but this is another thing I have in common with chrishysell. I've been throwing this way with a Z Surge since before I joined DGCR. It just works. No blisters either.

I grip the disc so it's lower on my index finger, rather than tucking the disc all the way into the 'web' of the hand. So the inside rim rests on the outside of the big knuckle rather than inside of it, and it doesn't seem to rub quite as much. But however u grip it, it can cause blisters if u throw too much.

Is that grip kinda like this?

attachment.php

A friend of mine throws all his drives with that style grip. I don't understand it, but he makes it work.

Attachments

• IMG00191.jpg
    IMG00191.jpg
    45.8 KB · Views: 94
Looks like a power grip to me. I get the best results with 2 fingers, but I've thouhgt about trying a power grip.

I always just have one finger under the rim. Sometimes my fingers actually snap real loud just like they would if you were snapping at someone. It's always weird to me when that happens.

I have never seen anyone else use that grip (power?) when throwing FH. I thought he was just a weirdo, but he can really get some distance from it! Its outta control for me though.

Not sure what to make of it, but this is another thing I have in common with chrishysell. I've been throwing this way with a Z Surge since before I joined DGCR. It just works. No blisters either.

attachment.php

A friend of mine throws all his drives with that style grip. I don't understand it, but he makes it work.

No, it's just a two finger grip, but I just don't wedge it all the way into the web of the hand. I think it really does reduce the rubbing on the knuckle like the OP was asking about. It might reduce control some, but I dunno, it hasn't seemed to for me.

i have the craziest callous between my index finger and thumb. it actually holds the disc better now because of it. the edge of the disc just sits right in front of the callous.

attachment.php

I don't see how this would ever work, it looks like it would slide right out without the fingers in the rim, if I used this grip I would drive 50ft max.

Don't worry, the callous will tear multiple times throughout the season. Or you could do the work yourself and find a router :p

I throw one finger forehands. Not a lot of rubbing going on.

same here. I wouldn't suggest switching if you are comfortable but this prevents rubbing significatly, I think you are already doing as much as you can with the tape and trying a different grip.

Latest posts