• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Question] For open upshots, which disc and line do you choose to throw?

Man, this is getting beat to death...and another video to watch, yippee!

As far as the nose-up hyzer stall shot from 100 ft, is there really a need for that? I mean come on, it's a putter, get it under the basket...if not in. I think these bumpkins on the videos are trying to mess noobs up, so they don't come along and replace on the team, or in the winning circle, lol.

Man, this is getting beat to death...and another video to watch, yippee!

As far as the nose-up hyzer stall shot from 100 ft, is there really a need for that? I mean come on, it's a putter, get it under the basket...if not in. I think these bumpkins on the videos are trying to mess noobs up, so they don't come along and replace on the team, or in the winning circle, lol.

I have trouble getting my power right, and the slight nose up really helps with that. Just like hyzer makes it easier to range a shot, the nose up makes ranging it easier too. I can pretty easily miss by 20' on just a standard hyzer shot. I don't like having a 20' putt after I had a 100' upshot.

Ha, elbow higher than wrist. Not legit.

I haven't bothered to read a lot of the silly argument you guys are having, but are you trying to imply that nose angle is solely determined by the relationship of the wrist and elbow?

I haven't bothered to read a lot of the silly argument you guys are having, but are you trying to imply that nose angle is solely determined by the relationship of the wrist and elbow?

:lol: no. Go watch Uliberry or whatever his name is in the first vid posted.

No basically I just said if you are throwing nose up straight approaches its no different than taking a hyzer approach but much more subject to wind and disc selection as well as throwing orientation. Ulis video shows how obvious those flaws can be with all the different looking shots yet still getting decent results.

Nose up is just causing disc to slow down and fade out similar to the idea behind throwing a hyzer approach without finesse.

No basically I just said if you are throwing nose up straight approaches its no different than taking a hyzer approach but much more subject to wind and disc selection as well as throwing orientation.

If you're thinking about throwing a nose up hyzer into a right to left wind ... DON'T!!! ;)

That's why I don't like nose up approach really at all unless running a basket in the calm and even then I'd still not throw it.

No basically I just said if you are throwing nose up straight approaches its no different than taking a hyzer approach but much more subject to wind and disc selection as well as throwing orientation. Ulis video shows how obvious those flaws can be with all the different looking shots yet still getting decent results.

Nose up is just causing disc to slow down and fade out similar to the idea behind throwing a hyzer approach without finesse.

I'll bet the video was heavily edited, because no nose-up lame duck gross mis-throw that's floundering in the wind is going to have good placement at the end of it's sad looking flight...unless it's extremely lucky. Is that finesse, or screwing around?

I throw the same hyzers all the time, just hate to see people buy-in to the idea that it's the only shot for approach, cuz it aint...but maybe that's too much to expect you to figure out.

no one said its the only shot for approach. Its just the easiest shot to take no matter the disc, condition, skill level etc. Why try to do something that is not natural to the flight of a disc when the finish placement is the most important part?

That is my WHOLE point in this thread.

For wide open upshots with many options, which disc are you grabbing and what line is it going on?

no one said its the only shot for approach. Its just the easiest shot to take no matter the disc, condition, skill level etc. Why try to do something that is not natural to the flight of a disc when the finish placement is the most important part?

That is my WHOLE point in this thread.

I'd agree ;) Might have been the OPs real question too.

Latest posts