• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Question] For open upshots, which disc and line do you choose to throw?

Nose up hyzer is just my go-to. I'll use anything that seems appropriate. I definitely don't get to throw hyzers at everything.

Ok, got it.

There's a Discraft approach shot video with Scott Papa where he's talking about the same thing you are, but in reverse. He mentions how he started out throwing only hyzer approach and then had to expand his shot selection, for obvious reasons.

In my case, neither. I started out throwing approach shots straight, fade and hyzer...and then added anhyzer a little later. This was as a beginner and included a ton of field work, I can tell you. Same formula for driving, BTW.

Did he mention "apex" in that tutorial? I didn't watch the whole thing.

And AIM, if you're referring to me, the hyzer is one of my most used throws on drives and fairway drives or long approach. I just don't use it much on upshots with putters. It's a matter of preference, for anyone.

Did he mention "apex" in that tutorial? I didn't watch the whole thing.

And AIM, if you're referring to me, the hyzer is one of my most used throws on drives and fairway drives or long approach. I just don't use it much on upshots with putters. It's a matter of preference, for anyone.

He didn't specifically say "apex", but he did talk about where he aims. Pretty much the same.

There's pretty much a 100% consensus that hyzers are the way to go. Unless you're Simon. Even the thumber guy, I'm betting throws hyzer thumbers.

He didn't specifically say "apex", but he did talk about where he aims. Pretty much the same.

There's pretty much a 100% consensus that hyzers are the way to go. Unless you're Simon. Even the thumber guy, I'm betting throws hyzer thumbers.

What? No. Watch the first vid posted again. I'm only throwing a hyzer if forced by trees.

Right, you'd better know the apex when relying on hyzers.

The hyzer throws on the video is one that I use all the time on drives and long approach, but not from close in...that is the difference I've been unsuccessfully trying to get across.

Yeah, I think you have that reversed. Please read what's typed, not what you think is typed. I am actually shocked at your replies here.

So, every time you're wrong you just claim people are misreading or misquoting you? It's getting old, bud.

Right, you'd better know the apex when relying on hyzers.

The hyzer throws on the video is one that I use all the time on drives and long approach, but not from close in...that is the difference I've been unsuccessfully trying to get across.

:clap:

Depends on the wind, but usually a 1.0 (Discraft) over stable disc. The model depends on the distance needed.

I usually go for a hyzer shot with my Harp. Regardless of wind, the harp always seems to do the same thing for me. Very predictable.

Good luck with those wrist above elbow hyzers :lol:

If a 30 point rating increase is good luck, that's what I've had with them.

Wrist above elbow is relative to your torso angle. Paul's first demonstration throw was released slightly hyzer. Everyone else was more upright, causing an anhyzer release.

Get Hyzer.

If a 30 point rating increase is good luck, that's what I've had with them.

Wrist above elbow is relative to your torso angle. Paul's first demonstration throw was released slightly hyzer. Everyone else was more upright, causing an anhyzer release.

Get Hyzer.

Yeah, I don't agree.

Contortions, gyrations...when do you think we'll see people doing cartwheels while throwing hyzers? ;)

At the same time, anhyzers have advantages. They're flat when they get to the basket. Gives them a little better chance to stick to chains, and less roll-away possibilities. Different winds also affect hyzers more than anhyzers. If you do have a roll-away with an anhyzer, though, the roll is working with the spin. Hyzer roll-aways are working against the spin, and sit down quicker.

The point of hyzers is that it's allowing the disc to fly like it wants to. If a disc wants to fly the way you want it to fly, it will be more predictable.

The point of nose up is burning up energy. That decreases skips, roll-aways, blow-byes, chain outs, and probably some other stuff.

Contortions, gyrations...when do you think we'll see people doing cartwheels while throwing hyzers? ;)

Hyzers pretty much necessitate a lean. At least if you consider a flat throw an upright torso. Either way, more hyzer means more lean or a deviation from your typical form.

Hmmmm ... I disagree with everyone. :D

Latest posts