• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Innova] For the love of the Bird! ..Teebird that is!

You must have a cannon for an arm. I never experieced this. This is what i would say about a Leopard.

Eh, I wouldn't say I throw Teebirds much farther than average for max distance drivers. I probably max out RHBH at 380' and 350' RHFH

I find the Teebird is a very comfortable disc to throw and control. So I just stuck with it after years of tossing Destroyers and only getting 20-30 feet more distance.

I have a jen allen tbird that I can throw about 320. Looking to compliment with a champ Leopard. What weight leo should I get?

I have a jen allen tbird that I can throw about 320. Looking to compliment with a champ Leopard. What weight leo should I get?

167-171, I find Champ Leo's, especially heavy ones, to be close to TL in stability. going down in weight and/or using Star or Pro should get you the straight to turnover flight that you want to complement a TB.

Teebirds are touchy on the forehand. It's actually a great tool to learn the forehand or correct form/application of snap. I pretty much have used teebirds as my only driver for roughly two years now because they do it all and how I want it to be done.

Like someone else, I kinda disagree about them being touchy. But I mainly throw Star Teebirds that are fairly beefy, and I guess my forehand is pretty smooth, having thrown lots of ultimate lids.

At any rate, I 100% agree that the Teebird is an amazing forehand disc. Actually, using a Star Teebird on various flex lines is one of my go-to shots. Very useful. Enough overstability that it's hard to flip and has dependable fade at the end, but also understable enough to get surprising distance and hold that flex line.

There's a reason the Teebird is often imitated (but never duplicated) and a reason it remains in pro bags.

Like someone else, I kinda disagree about them being touchy. But I mainly throw Star Teebirds that are fairly beefy, and I guess my forehand is pretty smooth, having thrown lots of ultimate lids.

At any rate, I 100% agree that the Teebird is an amazing forehand disc. Actually, using a Star Teebird on various flex lines is one of my go-to shots. Very useful. Enough overstability that it's hard to flip and has dependable fade at the end, but also understable enough to get surprising distance and hold that flex line.

There's a reason the Teebird is often imitated (but never duplicated) and a reason it remains in pro bags.

It's really in reference/compared to the discs most commonly recommended for forehands, i.e. Destroyers, Firebirds, overstable putters. Compared to those, I think it's fair to say a Teebird is touchy on the forehand. One of my buddies tosses Star Teebirds too and he's strictly forehand and I can confirm they flex out nicely. He's a former college pitcher who never really learned proper form, but hey, it works for him.

I go back and forth between Star and Champion. And it's a fact it's never duplicated having thrown other companies variations on the mold. The Rival, IMO is the only one that even comes close. Partly why I don't toss any other drivers apart from Firebirds now, a Teebird is simply the best.

It's a less forgiving disc than the above-mentioned but does what you tell it to do, indeed.

It's really in reference/compared to the discs most commonly recommended for forehands, i.e. Destroyers, Firebirds, overstable putters. Compared to those, I think it's fair to say a Teebird is touchy on the forehand. One of my buddies tosses Star Teebirds too and he's strictly forehand and I can confirm they flex out nicely. He's a former college pitcher who never really learned proper form, but hey, it works for him.

I go back and forth between Star and Champion. And it's a fact it's never duplicated having thrown other companies variations on the mold. The Rival, IMO is the only one that even comes close. Partly why I don't toss any other drivers apart from Firebirds now, a Teebird is simply the best.

It's a less forgiving disc than the above-mentioned but does what you tell it to do, indeed.

Experienced non pros do NOT recommend those discs. Pros recommend them to other experienced players. If PmcB recommends a Force for backhand shots he's not talking to the average player.

I don't mean to attack you I apologize if I sound harsh but there's a disconnect somewhere here.

Other people recommending them to noodle arms/noobs (not calling you either!!!) do so because their form is poor...I **** you not I threw a 380' hyzer that eventually faded with a ROADRUNNER no more than a week ago.

Your (royal you, not you specifically sydex) FH shouldn't require drastically different molds than your backhand.

Other people recommending them to noodle arms/noobs (not calling you either!!!) do so because their form is poor...

This is what I'm getting at.

If it were me recommending a FH disc, honestly, I usually recommend a Mako3 or a shallow putter. Cro I think is a good middle ground to learn.

Picked up a DX Teebird at 169g and threw it some. It has legs, but it won't be replacing my Corvettes. It seems to go a bit further than my other Teebirds, but it's a close affair.

I am even more of a Teebird fan than I was just a few days ago. I've become obsessed with throwing my Teebirds on perfect anny lines. Watching them fly is weirdly addictive. For me up at 5280 they have the perfect blend of things. Like...I threw 3 at a target at exactly 400', just sent them on a fairly flat hyzer line, and all three were just about parked. Three for three. It was so solid feeling, ya know? It was a soccer goal and two were inside of it and one was just outside, all of them slightly long.

The disc just does the things. Why complicate matters?

I don't mean to attack you I apologize if I sound harsh but there's a disconnect somewhere here.

Don't think there's any disconnect. I've played for a long time now and the amount of bad advice going around is too dang high. I wasn't expressing my point well. My fault for replying off the cuff to a comment.

I agree, all discs are FH and BH. But to suggest there isn't a prevalent idea of the "FH specific" or "better" discs I think is denying a fact of new and casual players' mindset partly due to bad form, partly to just not knowing any better.

And I think most players don't have proper FH form. No snap of the wrist at the end and without that, discs like Destroyers will mask the bad form as compared to discs like a Teebird.

It's all good.

Whether high speed and/or overstable discs are "commonly recommended for forehands" probably depends on who you're hanging out with. I would say it is a "common mistake" or "common misconception" that these discs should be used for forehands. As you alluded to, people do often use these discs to compensate for poor form. If your form is poor, and you can only manage flex lines because you have to torque the disc so much, then you will need a beefy Destroyer or Firebird to bail you out. If you've got your form down, it's impressive what can be done with a neutral disc. I don't have an amazing forehand, by any means, but I would say a Teebird is toward the overstable side of discs I throw forehand. I mean, I throw a Polecat forehand, for crying out loud. And the Buzzz is probably the single most forehand-thrown mold in my bag. Yes, I bag a Zone and Firebird too, but they're not crutches.

I would also argue that folks like college pitchers (or really anyone from throwing or forehand hitting sports) already have the intrinsic forehand motion down, whether or not their throw looks like Eagle's, McBeth's, Sexton's, Jerm's, Barsby's, etc. It's all about the kinetic sequence of transferring power through the body, shoulder, elbow, etc., and as long as you figure out a grip to help a baseball throw or football throw or tennis forehand translate to a disc throw, you're gonna do just fine.

Based on your responses, it sounds like we agree much more than disagree. I'll get off my soapbox.

I rarely throw FH Teebirds due to my narrower distance potential for FHs (~330' with Wraith/Scorpius/Falcon). I move up to 9 speeds (RR/OLF/Draco) direct from 4-5 speed approach discs (Rat/Gator/Toro) for FH. Only pull out the TB/JLS when I want that specific driver ground action vs. the approach discs generally when throwing standstill in/around trees. Could see more FH use if I played heavy wooded courses more often.

BH distance potential stretches out an additional 80'+ and makes more room for 7 speeds.

Trip to CA, I brought only that newish DX Teeb and an Envy. Hole 4 is a 425' and that DX Teeb finished 5' from the basket. It was a nice flight profile, too, a sort of faint lean to the right and soft unwind to a straight-left landing. Coming from CO to sea level with no practice throws, it was brilliant to see it worked at the angle I guessed.

I could almost see it as a crush option off the tee.

If I mentor anyone in disc golf, I'm giving them an Envy and Teebird at a weight to match their starting arm speed in base plastic and telling them to spend a year with those two molds. :D

have you tried a DX TB yet? Those can definitely get close to distance driver D.

report back when you do! :thmbup:

I put this claim to the test and concur! Fieldwork: I threw my bomber discs and had a nice cluster of 7 at about 450-475 or so (probs 5-10 tailwind).

I threw my 169g DX Teeb maybe 2 or 3 times in the field today and it went 430-455'. It flies in a safer way though--it's like a safe crush option that won't go the distance but it does crush like a garbage truck.

This is the culmination of a more extended evaluation, but today is kind of the stamp on it--what I've concluded.

edit: my #1 fav Star Teebird went about 420' on a similar flight profile/release angle. To compare Star and DX of similar weight. I think that Star is a 168g.

Last edited:
I put this claim to the test and concur! Fieldwork: I threw my bomber discs and had a nice cluster of 7 at about 450-475 or so (probs 5-10 tailwind).

I threw my 169g DX Teeb maybe 2 or 3 times in the field today and it went 430-455'. It flies in a safer way though--it's like a safe crush option that won't go the distance but it does crush like a garbage truck.

This is the culmination of a more extended evaluation, but today is kind of the stamp on it--what I've concluded.

edit: my #1 fav Star Teebird went about 420' on a similar flight profile/release angle. To compare Star and DX of similar weight. I think that Star is a 168g.

My less stable Teebirds are definitely 85% of my distance driver flight. Lately I've been favoring the FX-3 for backhand max D, which seems weird but I'm throng them almost as far with not much effort.

The Metal Flake/ old Glow Champ TBs I throw are beefy though. If you can get more than 350 out of them you have done something.

I've got a pair of color glow champ Teebirds somewhere in my stash. I think they are from 2018. Thinking about breaking them out just because I haven't thrown them in a while but I remember them being fairly beefy but my game has come a long way since 2018 so I'm curious how they fly for me now.

I don't throw as far as you, but the biggest takeaway for me is how the distance of DX is noticeably greater than even super beat in premium ones. Absolutely agree with the safe crush term.

Popped into the local PIAS and found a pair of super gummy 150g champ Teebirds with patent numbers. I've never thrown then, but thought I'd give them a try and picked up the pair. What can I expect from them flight wise? Both easy 7-8/10.

Popped into the local PIAS and found a pair of super gummy 150g champ Teebirds with patent numbers. I've never thrown then, but thought I'd give them a try and picked up the pair. What can I expect from them flight wise? Both easy 7-8/10.

The opening of interdimensional portals...

The opening of interdimensional portals...

Fair enough haha I'm new to this world of Innova, so I didn't know if it would be an answer like "Oh, that era of 150 class are notoriously straight or flippy" or whatever.

But update, I took them out and one of them is quite flippy, but not turn-and-burn flippy, and the other is very straight, surprisingly overstable for a 150 class. I'll definitely work them more, but so far it's good results.

Fair enough haha I'm new to this world of Innova, so I didn't know if it would be an answer like "Oh, that era of 150 class are notoriously straight or flippy" or whatever.

But update, I took them out and one of them is quite flippy, but not turn-and-burn flippy, and the other is very straight, surprisingly overstable for a 150 class. I'll definitely work them more, but so far it's good results.

Pictures wouldn't hurt for diagnosis, though all discs are unique.

Same goes for your form, power, and level of elevation