• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Innova] For the love of the Bird! ..Teebird that is!

I stand corrected and now consider myself more enlightened by those whom are more knowledgeable than myself.

One thing I will say is this, I have been away from Teebirds for a while even though the 11x Star Teebird (S-TB) is the disc that I first learned to throw hard and flat with. For the last several years I have been trying many other things to try and replicate that old Teebird feeling and nothing has really stuck. Now that I have one of the new Avery Sig. Teebirds I can confidently say that the new stock has that "old" feeling again and I dig it. Putting a few back in the bag along with my old seasoned 11x era Teebird. Teebirds and I are reunited and it feels so good.

One thing I will say is this, I have been away from Teebirds for a while even though the 11x Star Teebird (S-TB) is the disc that I first learned to throw hard and flat with. For the last several years I have been trying many other things to try and replicate that old Teebird feeling and nothing has really stuck. Now that I have one of the new Avery Sig. Teebirds I can confidently say that the new stock has that "old" feeling again and I dig it. Putting a few back in the bag along with my old seasoned 11x era Teebird. Teebirds and I are reunited and it feels so good.

What was different about the 11x Teebirds? People seem to be very complimentary about the 11x in both star and champion plastic.

What was different about the 11x Teebirds? People seem to be very complimentary about the 11x in both star and champion plastic.

Plastic and flatness on the 11x champion. The 12x JL plastic is nice. Find one with high plh and low to no dome, max weight.

The CAL mold 11x tb's were the most OS tb ever. Super flat and high plh. I had a 155 I could rip on, but anything heavier than that was like firebird to me. The opaque CA mold 11x are quite the opposite, once they are beat in they are the longest and straightest tb ever. I have replaced my opaques slowly with g* over time, and the flight is not 100% the same, but close enough. The newest JL 12x feel a lot different than a cal in hand, but they are nearly as OS.

I had a couple of those 11x mold stars too. I was told they were called that because they were run in the same mold as the last bit of 11x champ but I cannot confirm that. Mine started out nice and manageable, perfect for straight to fade unless it was windy. I lost one but used the other til it was as understable as my leopards and now it is my "retiree" bag (all my favorite discs that are too worn to trust anymore. Hoping they will follow me into the afterlife and be new again lol).

The 11X were still super durable too. While the current JL TBs are "good ones", every JL disc I've thrown has seasoned much faster than I've expected.

Never heard about 11x star plastic. I don't think star was around then

Ken Climo's name was never on the Star Teebird to my knowledge. When most people say "11x Teebird" they are talking about either champ or KC Pro Teebirds that have the KC 11x stamp. I guess that era of KC Pro plastic was the predecessor to modern Star, but when they started calling it star, I don't think they ever stamped it with an 11x stamp (please correct me if I'm wrong of course). I think august is talking about PFN Star Teebirds from the end of the 11x era (generally marked S-TB with patent numbers).

I guess that era of KC Pro plastic was the predecessor to modern Star, but when they started calling it star, I don't think they ever stamped it with an 11x stamp (please correct me if I'm wrong of course).
In my experience 11x KC is more like a champy blend. Transparent but softer than the regular 11x Champs.

10x KC is more star-like even though its older. Gummy, opaque. Almost like a 'premium' base plastic.

This could just be based off of the ones I own. I don't have a very good sample size to draw from.

In my experience 11x KC is more like a champy blend. Transparent but softer than the regular 11x Champs.

10x KC is more star-like even though its older. Gummy, opaque. Almost like a 'premium' base plastic.

This could just be based off of the ones I own. I don't have a very good sample size to draw from.

I wouldn't argue with this at all. The 11x KC Pro I've thrown felt very champ-star. I haven't handled any 10x, but I've handled some 9x which seemed a bit more star-like, or maybe even a Star-Pro cross (opaque, softer, and gummier as you say). I don't think any of those truly feel like Star, but you can tell Innova was messing around with premium blends, which probably led to the creation of Star in the end.

No, they've been long gone. Just thought I'd post to show there was, in fact, 11x Star TeeBirds. Sorta.

Yeah, I've seen those, but my point still stands. There were Star Teebirds runs produced at the end of the 11x era (which I think I pointed out). They were never stamped with a KC 11x stamp, and I don't think they are what anyone refers to when they say "11x Teebird" which is sort of what led to the confusion. Still, there were Star Teebirds run around the end of that era for sure.

Yeah, I've seen those, but my point still stands. There were Star Teebirds runs produced at the end of the 11x era (which I think I pointed out). They were never stamped with a KC 11x stamp, and I don't think they are what anyone refers to when they say "11x Teebird" which is sort of what led to the confusion. Still, there were Star Teebirds run around the end of that era for sure.
I see what you are saying. Personally, I believe there is Cal-tooled TeeBirds and then everything else.

What is the difference between an S-TB and a S/TB. I have an S/TB that is very overstable and extremely flat. It is almost as stable as my beat Firebird. It is also a factory 2nd, so the extreme flatness may be why it was made a 2nd, b/c I could never see any imperfections.

The markings mean nothing. Mostly the whim of the worker.

PLH/ dome/ plastic have more relevance. Find a Teebird you like and match others to it.

Latest posts