• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Innova] For the love of the Bird! ..Teebird that is!

Nybos are freaking sweet!!!! Especially if you like a disc you can trust to really torque on and hold the line then fade. They can be flat or slightly domey.

The Nybos are great throwers: beefy Teebirds that are just about invincible. They would be somewhere in between a stock Star/Champ TB and Brinster 'Bird in terms of stability.

My FD is not flying straight laser lines anymore and my shop is out of new ones so I'm thinking about getting a Teebird instead. I got a champion Teeb, but it's a bit of a hog. It's actually an overstable glideless pig. I'm on the lookout for more of a workhorse type of disc. How do the Echo Star ones fly, and how quickly do they break in? What about a normal Star? FWIW I dont got a big arm, I get my champ out to maybe 280 on a big throw, max d is about 350 with a Tern

Luckily my shop restocked FDs, unfortunately I threw my glideless overstable Teebird away in the woods the other day. I figured I'd try a g* Teebird as a more workable replacement for my JL one. I got one in 168g and it flies like it's a totally different mold than the Jolly Launcher. It has great glide, it even has a little bit of turn when I rip it really hard. The old one didn't care about a stiff headwind, I dont think this new g* would be able to handle headwinds the same way. Some of those jolly launchers are just way more overstable

Luckily my shop restocked FDs, unfortunately I threw my glideless overstable Teebird away in the woods the other day. I figured I'd try a g* Teebird as a more workable replacement for my JL one. I got one in 168g and it flies like it's a totally different mold than the Jolly Launcher. It has great glide, it even has a little bit of turn when I rip it really hard. The old one didn't care about a stiff headwind, I dont think this new g* would be able to handle headwinds the same way. Some of those jolly launchers are just way more overstable

Oh yeah the GStar and Echostar Teebirds are no where close to as overstable as the JL's. In my experience for regular stock stamped Teebirds, JL's are the most overstable, then Star, then GStar and Echostar, then DX. If you handed someone an unstamped DX and an unstamped JL and they threw them both, I think most people would assume they were different molds.

Oh yeah the GStar and Echostar Teebirds are no where close to as overstable as the JL's. In my experience for regular stock stamped Teebirds, JL's are the most overstable, then Star, then GStar and Echostar, then DX. If you handed someone an unstamped DX and an unstamped JL and they threw them both, I think most people would assume they were different molds.

Not trying to be too nit picky, but I own about a dozen echo stars, and they are more on par with regular star, and nowhere near gstar. They have been my main driver for about 3 years. About 2 years ago, when they changed the stamp to have the totem pole, the echos started coming out flatter and more overstable. My one caveat is that I haven't purchased a new one in about a year, so I don't know if things have changed.

attachment.php

Almost all the Teebirds in the aviary.

Attachments

• teebirds.jpg
    teebirds.jpg
    129.5 KB · Views: 191

Yeah I'm not surprised. If you give a champ some accelerated wear (make sure the nose gets dinged/dented downwards a bit, and the underside gets some scrapes) then it will hold straight before some fade but still handle wind. You'll probably be 20' shorter than the Gstar but have a similar shape and handle wind, rather than the 30-40' short and hyzering early. So when you grow to love the Gstar and you want more stability, consider the champ again. The Gstars or less stable Teebirds in general are so fun to throw though. I think FD with turn, mellow Teebird, and stable Teebird is an amazing fairway setup.

Not trying to be too nit picky, but I own about a dozen echo stars, and they are more on par with regular star, and nowhere near gstar. They have been my main driver for about 3 years. About 2 years ago, when they changed the stamp to have the totem pole, the echos started coming out flatter and more overstable. My one caveat is that I haven't purchased a new one in about a year, so I don't know if things have changed.

My only Echostar I bought like 3 years ago (pre totem pole stamp). It was always just a laser beam with very little turn and almost no fade. It finally got flippy after being in the bag for a couple years and I took it out, but it was pretty similar to the only GStar Teebird I've had although the GStar had just little more turn and a little more fade. Anyway, I will defer to your opinion since you've purchased more recent runs of Echostar than me.

I have been throwing Teebirds and enjoying them.

I am looking for a very overstable option but I am not a huge fan of champ unless it is grippy mix.

The Brinster birds look like they would fit that need except the plastic.

Is there a star option that is very overstable like the Brinsters?

Not that I'm aware of, the Brinsters are kind of unique in that regard, although you can find champion non Brinsters with identical overstability to the Brinsters. My old champion was just a beast, it was very overstable and had very little glide. It had more in common with a firebird than a teebird, it was ridiculous. I lost it and bought another champion, unfortunately it's not quite as beefy, although it's still fairly beefy for a teebird. It's just not a firebird disguised as a teebird

The AJ tour series TBs are fairly OS. But you can definitely find stock star TBs that are really OS

Second the Avery Jenkins star TBs. They are almost as OS as the Brinster Champ but not quite. Sounds like your only option if Champion is too slick for your taste.

Latest posts