• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Innova] For the love of the Bird! ..Teebird that is!

I do have a Gstar that is perfect, I just don't like the plastic :(

I just ordered a Icon Rival, Gold Line Explorer, Tournament Stag, ESP Undertaker and a Mantis after watching Paul Mcbeth in the bag. Hopefully I will find something that suits me. If I do, I will get myself an early xmas gift.

I do like Innova for making unstable runs, but it really sucks when you lose a disc and you try to play a couple of 1 disc round. And after round 4 hitting a lot of trees, you don't see any difference in the disc.

Thanks for the suggestions.

I just ordered a Icon Rival, Gold Line Explorer, Tournament Stag, ESP Undertaker and a Mantis after watching Paul Mcbeth in the bag. Hopefully I will find something that suits me. If I do, I will get myself an early xmas gift.

I do like Innova for making unstable runs, but it really sucks when you lose a disc and you try to play a couple of 1 disc round. And after round 4 hitting a lot of trees, you don't see any difference in the disc.

Yeah star/champ plastic is super slow to beat in. If you're not going to use those beefy Teebirds then do some parking lot skip shots practice and some hard FH's into wood for a while. Better than waiting a year+ for that same amount of wear, especially if you don't want to use it in the meantime.

Update when you've had a chance to throw all of these. I have a perfectly straight star Teebird I'm afraid of losing so I'd like to see what your results are. I've only thrown one Stag and it had a bit more of that 9ish speed control driver fade to it, and I've never thrown an Undertaker.

Dm

Have either of you tried a c line fd? Also cd2 is a bit longer than a tbird similar stability tho. Fd+cd2= I don't use my nybo s anymore

I have lost 2 Teebirds in 1 month, one was dead straight and the other stable to slightly OS. I bought 2 Teebirds from different stores and they are both meathooks. They fley like a 7/4/0/3 disc.

I just bought 2 new Teebird3 online, hoping to get something that is normal. If this doesn't work out, any suggestions for other molds that can fill this spot? I'm not that interested beating them in, to lose it and hate life.

TL? It is simply a TB, but with the L-wing vs. the TB's X-wing. The only difference is the TL doesn't have the little ridge around the edge of the disc.

Also the TL holds a line a bit longer and has a gentler fade. If you're looking for a super straight TB then grab yourself an FD and there you go. Perfect compliment to the TB. The rival and explorer are just TB clones, some will swear by them over TB and same goes the other way. Matis is faster and far more neutral, undertaker will be a similar flight to the TB but with turn.

Last edited:
Have either of you tried a c line fd? Also cd2 is a bit longer than a tbird similar stability tho. Fd+cd2= I don't use my nybo s anymore

Yeah C-FD was one of my suggestions, it's a great disc. I think the C-FD can take the beat in Teebird shot, as long as you know it will have a little turn. CD2 is also great, but I think that takes the beat in Thunderbird shot. Again it will have a bit of turn. Both of those are great discs, controllable and not power hungry.

The TL is also good, I've never owned one but every one I have thrown has had a bit of turn and a beat in Teebird-ish fade. Like a small step up in stability from the FD but below a Teebird. I could see a player with lower-medium arm speed having the FD drift right and come back, while the TL would go straight with a smaller fade than a Teebird.

I have lost 2 Teebirds in 1 month, one was dead straight and the other stable to slightly OS. I bought 2 Teebirds from different stores and they are both meathooks. They fley like a 7/4/0/3 disc.

I just bought 2 new Teebird3 online, hoping to get something that is normal. If this doesn't work out, any suggestions for other molds that can fill this spot? I'm not that interested beating them in, to lose it and hate life.
Did you get star T3s? My experience has been those are pretty stable as well. However the metal flake T3s (either stock or McBeth) are super straight

My feelings exactly. Love the flight, hate the plastic.

I gave up on trying Teebird replacements so don't know about any of the options you ordered other than the Icon Rival and I do like those. They are so Teebird like and start out generally less OS than most star Teebirds. I think they do tend to develop a bit of high speed turn more than Star Teebirds with similar wear though.

I would say a well used Star Teebird is about a fresh TL and a well seasoned TL is an FD.
I have not had a chance to throw them much but the new Pro TBs seem to be a very nice middle ground for it all. Plastic is not quite Gstar flexible, is very straight and not much fade. Jury is still out a bit, in the mean time I'm working on beating in two new star TBs and a Rival just in case something were to happen with my work horse star TB that is just money.

Thanks for all the help!

I went out on and some field work today and tried a couple of those new discs.

One stock stamp TB3 and one XMAS stamp TB3. As expected, they were both very OS. Had flat top and little dome. I would give this disc a flight of 8/4/0/3.5, I don't really notice anything different compared normal stock stamp Teebird. Maybe just a bit faster.

My new Icon Rival was definitely less OS compared to a TB. I would say this disc is very true to it's numbers. Anyone know how this plastic beat in? This disc had a flat top and a bit stiff plastic. If I really forced some power on it, I normally do this on a slight hyzer, it actually popped up to flat.

Gold Line Explorer, I've had this for a while but haven't really used this disc a lot. This was a bit more OS compared to a Rival, but less stable compared to a TB3. Anyone know how this plastic beats in? I'm looking to cycle discs. Same with this disc, if I put some extra power on it, it would pop up to flat.

ESP Undertaker, this was a straight flying disc, I would say it's not a speed 9 disc. I would say it's more like 7-8 speed disc. I liked the ESP plastic a lot. I would rate this is a 7-8/5/-0.5/1 type of disc. If I popped some extra power on it, it would flip over.

Z Undertaker, this was also a very straight disc, but more US compared to ESP Undertaker which I thought was weird. I'm used to "champion" disc being more OS. If I threw this with a flat release, it would give me some turn, but it would came back. If I threw it on a slight hyzer it would flip up to flat. I wasn't that fan of the plastic. I would rate this disc as a 8/5/-1/2

TL3, this was also fairly OS. It has a big dome and a pop top. I had a TL3 before that was very straight as new. My old TL3 didn't have the same dome either. This one isn't close to my old. But this was definitely my second OS disc after Teebird.

Mantis, this was US. Flat release gave me a decent turn and an easy hyzer flip disc.

Westside Stag, this disc is not a 8/6/0/3 disc. That's for sure. When I released this flat with normal power it gave me turn, but came back. If I released with a little hyzer, it flipped up to flat and turned over before it came back.

I'm looking to cycle disc that cover most of my fairway shots, I'm a Philo fan and looking for a simple bag. I play a decent bit in the woods and I'm looking for those straight discs. I don't have a problem beating disc in, but it really sucks if I try to beat in a new TB3 that is very OS. It will take me a long time. At the moment I actually have a US Champion Teebird, a stable Teebird with a slight finish. I'm afraid of losing those discs. Basically what I would like to do, is replicate what I've done with my Teebirds, just with a different discs that is easier to beat in. Any suggestions regarding Rival or Explorer, I'm leaning a bit towards Explorer as it is much easier to get my hands on? Nobody around here throws Legacy.

Last edited:
Can't wait for the pro teebirds I ordered to get here. I bag pro valks and thunderbirds and am really excited that Innova made this run of pro teebirds. Now if they could also make pro leopard3s ...

That would be amazing. I just found some p-line FD's that I'm going to try out, but they aren't quite the same as leo3's.

Just ordered a great looking 2017 Jennifer Allen Teebird off ebay. I heard that run was really OS & that's how I like'em.

PLH aside, what are your picks for the more OS Teebirds right now? I think JA is great so maybe I should wait to see if they put out a 2019 run?

These are the most OS Tbirds I've thrown.

picture.php

^Truth. I have four lime greens of those and they're indestructible too.

That was his first Tour Series stamp. The description on the proshop said he'd specifically asked for a more overstable TeeBird, and they did it. Not sure if it's a modified version of the mold, if it was allowed to cool a little longer in the mold to raise the PLH, or what.

I have a 175g purple one like J Dubs with a chunk out of the rim the size of a dime and it is still insanely overstable. Not sure if they ever beat to straight.