• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

forehand and backhand

CwAlbino

* Ace Member *
Bronze level trusted reviewer
My original question is, does anyone know what the longest forehand ace is? I have found the longest aces (like 726 non-sanctioned and just over 500 sanctioned) but nowhere can I find anything about forehand aces.

Also, I would love to see a forehand only distance competition. Has one ever been done? There is such a huge drive difference between forehand and backhand that I think they should be separated personally.

idk bout your question, but i throw RHFH and out drive all my BH friends... by a whole lot usually...

I've never seen a forehand break 500' let alone get anywhere close to Christian Sandstrom's record:

Open: 250.00 m Christian Sandstrom (SWE) 4/26/02 El Mirage, CA

Which is ~820 feet.

Flat ground of course.

I think generally a forehand throw is easier for beginners to get better distance on because it's similar to throwing a baseball sidearm, so they have the motion down already. While a backhand throw has more potential but also a steeper learning curve to get the initial distance.

I saw a video on YouTube of the long drive contest at the USDGC where they were throwing over a lake. Several backhand shots made it over, some by as much as 100 feet. Only one forehand shot made it, barely, and they said it was the first forehand shot to ever make it.

I doubt you're going to find accurate records for forehand aces though. But perhaps there is distance records somewhere.

I saw that video too.
Personally i can't even drive a disc forehand. It is fun to watch a good forehand driver though. I play with a guy that throws forehand and he finds some pretty cool lines through the trees.

I saw that video too.
Personally i can't even drive a disc forehand. It is fun to watch a good forehand driver though. I play with a guy that throws forehand and he finds some pretty cool lines through the trees.

I too love to watch a good forehand drive. It seams to exaggerate the curves of the disc which make it a bit trickier to control, but a lot more fun to watch if it's done correctly.

I threw a forehand close to 650' today (google earth estimate). I just choose to forget it was at an elevation of 7500', into a slight headwind, with an elevation drop of more than 150'. It was crazy how long that disc was in the air, it just kept going and going. Mountain disc golf can be such a beautiful thing....

I think generally a forehand throw is easier for beginners to get better distance on because it's similar to throwing a baseball sidearm, so they have the motion down already. While a backhand throw has more potential but also a steeper learning curve to get the initial distance.

I saw a video on YouTube of the long drive contest at the USDGC where they were throwing over a lake. Several backhand shots made it over, some by as much as 100 feet. Only one forehand shot made it, barely, and they said it was the first forehand shot to ever make it.

I doubt you're going to find accurate records for forehand aces though. But perhaps there is distance records somewhere.

I heard about this video too. I'll have to check it out.

I guess I'm one of these beginners who took to driving forehand to start with. But it seems (and I've been told) that almost none of the top players primarily drive forehand. This fact and the lack of any distance records makes me reconsider driving forehand. But then again, if my backhand never comes around, I want to keep this shot in the bag :p

I threw a forehand close to 650' today (google earth estimate). I just choose to forget it was at an elevation of 7500', into a slight headwind, with an elevation drop of more than 150'. It was crazy how long that disc was in the air, it just kept going and going. Mountain disc golf can be such a beautiful thing....

Ah dude, that sounds awesome! I'd love to play a high altitude course someday. Is it harder to turnover your disc at elevation also?

I have no idea about the longest ace or whether there is a forehand only distance competition. I do know that that would be awesome to have something like that. I've been working hard on my backhand and can throw a putter reasonably far, but just can't the drivers out backhand as far as I can forehand. Is the record for forehand only 550 or so? Wonder how hard that would be to break...

I have no idea about the longest ace or whether there is a forehand only distance competition. I do know that that would be awesome to have something like that. I've been working hard on my backhand and can throw a putter reasonably far, but just can't the drivers out backhand as far as I can forehand. Is the record for forehand only 550 or so? Wonder how hard that would be to break...

I'm unsure, I just wanted to know because I hit a really long one. You would know being from the area, I hit Bryant Lake Hole 1 long the other day with a forehand (with witnesses). So 398 feet. Plus I just love distance forehand and wanted to know about that.

I hit 480 one time forehand on flat ground. I don't even drive FH much anymore, but maybe need to work on my distance still, 550 seems achievable to me with a lot of work.

Dude that's a pretty sick hole to ace! Congrats man. We should for sure throw next time I'm in the cities, I love bombing those forehands out there. Not sure I could get 398 feet out of mine too often though lol.

Dude that's a pretty sick hole to ace! Congrats man. We should for sure throw next time I'm in the cities, I love bombing those forehands out there. Not sure I could get 398 feet out of mine too often though lol.

I was only up there for a week visiting but next time I go up to visit I'll let you know, maybe we can meet at bryant or even up at brp or something ;)

to gcr_ I think my top end is 425-450 on a forehand but I don't incorporate a reachback. I think if I went for an all out reachback throw I could get much farther.

I'm unsure, I just wanted to know because I hit a really long one. You would know being from the area, I hit Bryant Lake Hole 1 long the other day with a forehand (with witnesses). So 398 feet. Plus I just love distance forehand and wanted to know about that.

Nice ace. Looks like some elevation help, what disc?

I hit 480 one time forehand on flat ground. I don't even drive FH much anymore, but maybe need to work on my distance still, 550 seems achievable to me with a lot of work.

Sweet! That's some serious distance for FH. I think you are correct about the potential for 550'. Unless I'm mistaken, Scott Stokely holds or at least held the FH distance record. It seems I rememer somthing that was in the mid 500's--not entirely sure.

So why do u suppose so few of the top players drive forehand? Is it generally thought that backhand is more consistent and/or more powerful?

Nice ace. Looks like some elevation help, what disc?

There's a little elevation drop but then it comes back up to only about a ~5' drop overall I think. Was a 171 Pro Destroyer. What got me was that there was actually a time delay to where we saw it hit, and then heard it hit.

What got me was that there was actually a time delay to where we saw it hit, and then heard it hit.

At 398' about a half second(450ms) delay. A 50ms delay is considered an echo.

Latest posts