• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Forehand control

Recently, after a nasty bout with tendonitis in my shoulder/ elbow tightness, i've switched to a forehand drive and ive improved my distance quite a bit with minimal arm pain. Unfortunatly I sometimes have no control over my drives, theyll either pop straight up after 200 feet and fade sharply or ill anny the bejesus outta it, any ideas?

typically overstable discs are going to be your best bet, but one of my favorite drives for a tight fairway is an easy forearm toss with my sidewinder. Since you didn't mention what you're throwing I'll go straight to the form I use. I don't know if it is correct of not, but I usually try to keep my elbow close to my body as I throw, making it easy to keep my arm out at a 90 degree angle and the disc level. The only time I change this up is if I'm flat out bombing one with a huge helix...then I'm sure I have no technical form...at that point for me its just combination of what I said before and whats left after a few years of throwing discus and baseball.

I think discraft has an instructional video on their website about forearm drives. Some of their masters team are primarily forehand throwers so I'm sure they know what they're talking about.

I pulled out a Sidewinder to throw a RHFH one time, and one of the players with me (not a friend, just some douche tagging along) was like, "You think you can forehand a Sidewinder? You're in for a surprise." I ignored this comment, proceeded with my throw as planned, and hit the pin on a 275' downhill throw. Oh yeah, and his "textbook" RHBH ended up about 40 feet short in a grove of pines. Just goes to show that what one guy thinks he knows about a disc (or your technique), regardless of how good he is, isn't necessarily taken verbatim from The Gospel of Disc Golf According To St. Hedrick.

Very true, I just wanted to know what he was currently throwing to see if we could make suggestions based on that. I certainly think that everybody needs to find what works for them personally.

My forehand throws aren't my most reliable right now, but I use my Destroyer for heavy hyzers and the Sidewinder for straighter shots with a gentle turn at the end of its flight.

My friend that I disc with all the time uses strictly RHFH shots, and most of his discs are Discraft...I think he uses Avengers and Surges mostly. I've been encouraging him to develop a RHBH technique, especially since he plans on competing in tourneys soon, but he's pretty reluctant (kinda like I was in developing a somewhat reliable forehand shot!).

My friend that I disc with all the time uses strictly RHFH shots, and most of his discs are Discraft...I think he uses Avengers and Surges mostly. I've been encouraging him to develop a RHBH technique, especially since he plans on competing in tourneys soon, but he's pretty reluctant (kinda like I was in developing a somewhat reliable forehand shot!).

Sounds exactly like me. I spent the majority of my time (somewhere in the neighborhood of 95% or more) throwing RHFH. I'm taking it much more seriously now, as after my first tourney I loved it and want to keep getting better. I figured RHBH would open my game up a lot more, so I'm been throwing almost exclusively that way this year. I've gotten significantly better, but nowhere near what I want. I can drive a good 150' farther forehand still, but I've added at least 75 feet to my backhand drives, along with accuracy.

While it is usually possible to get more immediate distance out of a FH shot they are more difficult to throw consistently when first starting out. Throwing BH is a lot more forgiving than FH. I would suggest just practicing and concentrating on releasing the disc flat.

Yeah that's what I've been doing...it's going to take awhile for me to get to the 400+ I can do FH though...Another reason is that big FH drives are starting to hurt my arm. I'm not in nearly as good of shape as I was a few years ago.

What is your grip like? I know there are several different forehand grips (1 finger, 2 finger, etc.) Personally I use a 1 finger grip, it helps with accuracy and I'd say I max out distance at about 340'. But forehand is more a of a control shot for me, as I am more accurate with it then my backhand.

What is your grip like? I know there are several different forehand grips (1 finger, 2 finger, etc.) Personally I use a 1 finger grip, it helps with accuracy and I'd say I max out distance at about 340'. But forehand is more a of a control shot for me, as I am more accurate with it then my backhand.

That's what I hear a lot of people saying. I would agree that it is much more controlled for me as well, until I start trying to extend my range beyond 350, then it becomes pretty comparable to any other drive. Like he said, grip can make a difference too. I personally use 2 fingers. Some people do it with fingers together, others with them apart. I think it really comes down to what is comfortable, as with most aspects of disc golf.

Yeah i've always had the good forearm LHBH and when i bought the right overstable discs for it (flick xcal force) my control became much better. Using understable discs for FH presents too many variables and you have to throw them perfect every time or ull get very mixed results. In the last year i've improved my BH so it's decent and i throw it 90% of the time - distance is starting to creep up - it's certainly more accurate - Most courses are very wooded and technical here so a 380' FH really will never be a shot you will throw often. Better off having the ability to throw a straight 250-300 foot backhand.

I pulled out a Sidewinder to throw a RHFH one time, and one of the players with me (not a friend, just some douche tagging along) was like, "You think you can forehand a Sidewinder? You're in for a surprise." I ignored this comment, proceeded with my throw as planned, and hit the pin on a 275' downhill throw. Oh yeah, and his "textbook" RHBH ended up about 40 feet short in a grove of pines. Just goes to show that what one guy thinks he knows about a disc (or your technique), regardless of how good he is, isn't necessarily taken verbatim from The Gospel of Disc Golf According To St. Hedrick.

haha that is awesome. I also forehand a sidewinder with no problem, either straight or a roller. I've really been working on forehand rollers to add to my game.

anywho back to the topic. I've always told people to keep their elbow in as well, and to follow through. When I finish a drive my hand is often pointing at my target whether it's a straight drive or i'm pointing up and to the left for a hyzer drop in. Forehand is not like a baseball throw, and can only start hurting your arm when you treat it like that. Speed just like a bh throw is essential. When I draw back I hold the top of the disc facing my target normally and flatten it as it comes across my body. At least that's how i'm picturing it as I'm mocking the movement at my desk.

I guess there is a lot of people that tell you to keep your arm straight, and personally I don't even see how they get 100 ft off that. They must not have paid attention in physics class :p

Yeah, I think I usually don't bring the disc flat till I start to make my forward motion. Actually I'm pretty sure I start going back with it entirely upside down...

I laughed about you mocking it at your desk but I had to do the same thing to figure out mine.

As far as technique goes, more often than not I throw RHFH, using 1 finger. I can also use 2...but it doesn't really get me enough extra distance to justify the difference in comfort. Because I use 1 finger, the disc basically lays on top of my thumb and forefinger, so in order to keep it level, I keep my elbow in tight and get a pretty deep knee bend. When I use two fingers, I have to adjust my elbow distance a little bit to keep it straight.
As far as equipment, my favorite driver to forehand is my Z Reaper...although no one seems to love this disc as much as I do. I do ted to use lower weights though (165-170) and can't throw a 175 to save my life. Other discs I've had good success with are the champion and pro Banshees, DX and Star TeeRexes. I also have a FLX ESP Anenger SS that really does go super straight that I can use to get through narrow passages on a long shot. The Reaper is pretty overstable, but if you throw it with a little annie and a good snap you should get some awesome distance.

I find it interesting that many people talk about how controled their FH is. I guess that is partially because of the ability to get good distance with a compact "wind up." To get comparable distance BH I have to introduce the X step and that can compromise accuracy to some degree. However, I find my BH to be the more accurate and precise of the two options. My FH allows me to get a little more distance but I am less able to aim it accurately.

I find it interesting that many people talk about how controled their FH is. I guess that is partially because of the ability to get good distance with a compact "wind up." To get comparable distance BH I have to introduce the X step and that can compromise accuracy to some degree. However, I find my BH to be the more accurate and precise of the two options. My FH allows me to get a little more distance but I am less able to aim it accurately.

I think it depends how you throw when you start playing. I threw sidearm exclusively for at least a year or so, so I feel like my aim with that is superb, while if I'm backhanding a drive I have trouble trying to sneak it through a narrow opening and such.

controlled is a subjective term - could mean a roughly straight drive to some or a long helix that hits a tiny 5 foot opening to others.
Obviously how controlled your drive needs to be depends on the situation and choice of BH or FH is usually determined by one's own comfort in throwing either way.

I think it depends how you throw when you start playing. I threw sidearm exclusively for at least a year or so, so I feel like my aim with that is superb, while if I'm backhanding a drive I have trouble trying to sneak it through a narrow opening and such.

Same, I think it's all how you are taught, or figure out yourself.

Disc golf wasn't huge when I started playing in my town, and I've actually contributed a large deal in the growth (in my age group) and my dad in his age group for disc golf in our town.

My dad had heard about disc golf before and took me out one day when I was about 10 or 11. I started off with something similar to a superdisc and him with an eagle he picked up from a walmart, eventually moving up to a 150 cheetah as my first real golf disc (still have that disc ^^). I tried throwing backhand but found I could get more distance off forehand. I've since played strictly forehand, teaching myself and eventually, others how to throw forehand. It really is hard to teach yourself, even from online "instructions". You just don't know if you are doing what they say unless someone is there watching you. You could try video taping yourself at best, otherwise try and find someone on the course that throws a good forehand and have them help you out.

There should also be a distinction between "Controlled" and "Precision" drivers

while my FH drives may be controlled - they are by no means very precise. There is a very slim chance of me hitting a 10 foot gap from 200 feet with a fh toss. While there is a good chance i can land within 50 feet of the pin on a fairly open 300 foot hole