• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Question] Forehand flex shot discs for 150-225ft shots.

Don't have a Zone, been meaning to try one, but I have only come across "D" zones and don't want base plastic. Would a Zone give a wide "S", or should I try a Drone again?

Actually did some field work with every disc I have yesterday and besides the Banshee, to my surprise the star Orc gives a nice wide predictable flight that doesn't dump at the end.

Don't have a Zone, been meaning to try one, but I have only come across "D" zones and don't want base plastic. Would a Zone give a wide "S", or should I try a Drone again?

Actually did some field work with every disc I have yesterday and besides the Banshee, to my surprise the star Orc gives a nice wide predictable flight that doesn't dump at the end.

Pro D Zones are awesome... dont count them out because of base plastic. You can taco them and reshape them and they will still be overstable. I cant recommend the Pro D Zone enough. The other plastics it comes in are great but 75% of the time I go for a Zone its a Pro D.

ESP And golw will give a wider Flex shot and are more overstable. Do yourself a favor though and grab one Pro D

Last edited:
I second the Buzz OS, a little faster and a little more glide than the Zone. I bag both discs and prefer the Buzz OS for the described shot.

I second the Buzz OS, a little faster and a little more glide than the Zone. I bag both discs and prefer the Buzz OS for the described shot.

Now that's an option I hadn't thought about! Thank's I'll put it on my list. Been wanting to try one anyway.

Try the re-tooled Gateway Chief

Inexpensive disc, and a great short forehander!

The Essential Discs Honey I have is a meathook. I have the base plastic run and it's more overstable than my ESP Glo Zone. I keep forgetting to give it a bit of extra room to the left.

The base plastic is firm, but has a grip like my favorite blends of Gateway plastic. I used one as my main putter in a blizzard in February and it held up for some 20 footers in 30mph+ steady wind.

I'm not sure how available these are outside of Michigan (or even in MI) at this point.

I use an FD2 for these types of shots. Very workable and will always come back. Very similar to a Banshee.

BuzzOS. Fresh you can just crush them FH and with some wear you can work tons of FH lines with one. I find myself throwing more forehands with this disc than any other shot during rounds. (Sans putting)

Been testing out a slew of discs to fill the 150-225ft forehand and or shallow tomahawk woods flex shot role and wondered what everyone is using (for those that throw them) for this shot.

Have a few holes at some of the courses I play where an "S" shot through the woods is the only option for a birdie, or else you just play for a par.

I currently use a Banshee or a Predator as I have found these to be the most consistent and recently tried a DX Viper that was working pretty good too until a few too many tree hits, now it doesn't have the return flex required. For tighter flex shots under 200ft, I use a Suspect, but I'm looking for bigger turns.

I've tried a Firebird, Hellfire and even a Spirit, but at the lower speeds, they just dump, and if the wind is blowing sideways, that dump turns the disc into a sail and off goes the disc. Also have tried some slower discs like the Trident, but didn't care for it. Had a Drone a while back, may have to get another and try again.

What discs have you found that give you the most low ceiling, predictable lateral movement that in the second half of the "S" doesn't just dump?

Not to hijack your thread, but similar question which you may be able to answer. I am working on my distance forehand drives, and wanted to add a disc with a nice s-curve ability for off the tee. A buddy let me borrow his Star Max this weekend and it seemed to work well, but felt overly beefy. I'm pretty good at the shot with my Firebird, but feel my distance is too similar to my forehands without the flex shot

Any suggestions?

What about a Zone in Z plastic? I've never thrown one so I don't really know but am curious to hear what others have to say about it.

To OP...Personally, I'd probably use a Flick for that shot for a fairly hard fade at that distance or maybe a Hornet for not such a hard fade.

Not to hijack your thread, but similar question which you may be able to answer. I am working on my distance forehand drives, and wanted to add a disc with a nice s-curve ability for off the tee. A buddy let me borrow his Star Max this weekend and it seemed to work well, but felt overly beefy. I'm pretty good at the shot with my Firebird, but feel my distance is too similar to my forehands without the flex shot

Any suggestions?

Less overstable molds and letting the natural turn of the disc do the flexing instead of throwing a beefcake with anhyzer.

What about a Zone in Z plastic? I've never thrown one so I don't really know but am curious to hear what others have to say about it.

To OP...Personally, I'd probably use a Flick for that shot for a fairly hard fade at that distance or maybe a Hornet for not such a hard fade.

Based on my experience, the puddle top ESP Zones are the beefiest Zones out there. They have very little glide and you need to throw them hard to get them to "fly".

For what it is worth I would rather throw a worn flat ESP Zone or Cryzstal FLX Zone for this type of shot if I had to use a Zone. I'd still prefer a Glo FLX Buzz OS.

I've just started using a DD Suspect for this range. I typically never flick mids, but the suspect feels solid and flies well. It's too overstable for me to BH but holds up to FH snap nicely.

a Z Zone is going to be great for that shot, but they're not cheap...

If you don't want to have to throw it quite as hard, and prefer a driver, a fresh Star Orc is going to be pretty solid, or a Brinster or AJ Star Teebird.

Latest posts