• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Forehand Flex Shot?

Sorry for the double.

I should clarify I personally couldn't care less. You do you and I'll worry about myself:thmbup:

What about us poor lefties that have to use thumbers to compliment our flex line only forehand?

#ostracizedbydgcommunity

What about us poor lefties that have to use thumbers to compliment our flex line only forehand?

#ostracizedbydgcommunity

But there's gotta be ONE course somewhere where you will have an advantage. Lemme know when you find it. Btw, I enjoy playing with and watching players of your ilk.

No hate here for forehand flex. But if you're throwing them only with overstable discs, you're missing out. My Crank & Katana are my farthest flyers for forehand distance. Release with a bit of hyzer, flip up and get some straight/turn S-curve action, then come back. Great forehand flex shot, but I'm definitely not "forcing it over" on an anny line. I've got a Nuke OS meathook that I never throw forehand unless there's a 60mph headwind. Maybe I haven't mastered the shot that the OP referred to?

I actually had a friend complain at a tourney about the guys on his card throwing only forehands during round 1. It really had him messed up as, for some reason, it got into his head.

Well, during round 2 they were both on the top card with me (just an old rec tourney, nothing fancy), while my friend dropped down a couple cards. Maybe he should have been learning from them and not complaining.

They were good guys and I enjoyed watching their totally different styles than mine. So, flex foreand all you want. Just not with my friend. :doh:

But there's gotta be ONE course somewhere where you will have an advantage. Lemme know when you find it. Btw, I enjoy playing with and watching players of your ilk.

No hate here for forehand flex. But if you're throwing them only with overstable discs, you're missing out. My Crank & Katana are my farthest flyers for forehand distance. Release with a bit of hyzer, flip up and get some straight/turn S-curve action, then come back. Great forehand flex shot, but I'm definitely not "forcing it over" on an anny line. I've got a Nuke OS meathook that I never throw forehand unless there's a 60mph headwind. Maybe I haven't mastered the shot that the OP referred to?

If you're releasing with the disc on a hyzer angle, and the disc flips up, then we're talking about a hyzer flip.

A flex shot is intentioanally thrown with an anhyzer release.

Hope that makes sense. I don't think that I just misread your post.

Last edited:
I once played a tourney on a mountain course where some guy threw nothing bug big overstable forehand flex shots in high wind. He kicked everybody's ass.

If you're releasing with the disc on a hyzer angle, and the disc flips up, then we're talking about a hyzer flip.

A flex shot is intentionally thrown with an anhyzer release.

Hope that makes sense. I don't think that I just misread your post.

Yeah, I was describing a hyzer flip exactly; I just thought that any "anhyzer" (or left turn on a RHFH) was considered flex shot. I'm probably wrong.

I have met and played with folks that equate "forehand" to what is being described as a forehand flex shot. If that's the only forehand shot that someone throws, then I'll probably throw some "hate" in their direction, even I don't express it to them.

But there's gotta be ONE course somewhere where you will have an advantage. Lemme know when you find it.

Tyler State Park (PA)!

Sorry Joe Mela, but it's true. I could without a doubt shave strokes on both courses if I had my exact same skill set but was left handed.

Why all the hate? I don't see the problem with taking an Overstable disc forcing it left and knowing itll come back.

what it comes down to it, that shot is ok and "acceptable" out in the open, if you have the skills to throw the same shot from a hyzerflip with an understable disc. if its not, you are just covering up form flaw and forcing it. the shot does have its moments where it needs to be used for end right and there is a decent wind that an understable disc would not fight against at the end and finish fully right. but for the most part, its a form flaw cover.

I don't hate forehand flex shots, they come in pretty handy in the woods.

I hate playing with torque monkeys who brag they have too much power and have to flex Ape's for that 300ft shot though.
the sad thing is that if those guys would put some field work in, learn their hyzerflips, and learn to control their power, they would be able to throw a flippy star boss 400 ft with less power than they are putting into the 300 ft flex shot. Its all touch and snap with FH. the guys whose shoulders/elbows hurt after a round, are doing it all wrong.

What it comes down to is everyone can play how they want, and win that way, and it's fine. I just think it's ugly to watch/throw flex or OH shots on everything and that's not what appeals to me about disc golf at all. But on interesting course design or trouble shots for sure I'll use them whenever it's the best shot. In that case it's fun. If I had to throw them for 100% of my shots I wouldn't get the same enjoyment from the game. But that's me.

If it's an option out of an arsenal of shots you're comfortable throwing, no problem. If you rely on this shot that's where the hate comes from.
:thmbup:
I hate playing with torque monkeys who brag they have too much power and have to flex Ape's for that 300ft shot though.
I agree but I usually see it done with a Champion Boss :D
Do people similarly hate players who throw overhand a majority of the time?
I have experienced some hate because I throw a lot of overhand (mostly tomahawk). I got a tomahawk ace during leagues on a short 200' hole with a Champion Teebird. One of the guys on my card was really upset by it. He tried to convince everyone after leagues that I shouldn't get the ace pot because "overhand is cheating". A few other guys tried to explain to him that there's nothing in the rules that says you can't throw overhand. He didn't like that at all. He didn't participate in CTP & angrily read throughout a PDGA rule book trying to find the "overhand is cheating rule" :D. Needless to say the few times I've seen him on the course since then he's given me dirty looks. I find it amusing & childish. Besides that incident, I do occasionally get a dirty look or snide comment during a casual round.

Yea I mean.. I can throw a variety of forehand shots. Straight teebirds, I carry 3 TI nukes, all in different states of wear.

But I absolutely started by just throwing Overstable with **** form, because it was easier. I can throw fh 300 pretty damn easily, I always felt like a lot of the hate comes from people who don't have a forehand game which seems dumb to me. When I see someone just pure a backhand I get jealous, but not mad

What it comes down to is everyone can play how they want, and win that way, and it's fine. I just think it's ugly to watch/throw flex or OH shots on everything and that's not what appeals to me about disc golf at all. But on interesting course design or trouble shots for sure I'll use them whenever it's the best shot. In that case it's fun. If I had to throw them for 100% of my shots I wouldn't get the same enjoyment from the game. But that's me.

Agree 100%. I enjoy watching a well thrown disc spin up and float, forehand or backhand. I don't enjoy watching a projectile, lawn dart, or rock being lobbed.

I know they can score well, and respect that...I just don't find the flight aesthetically pleasing.

I don't know why though. I love throwing or watching a well thrown flex (FH or BH) or overhand for a get out of jail/hit a window/no other way to get there line.

DG isn't about hate. At least not how I was taught. I thought it was about fun, and being outdoors, and watching that amazing flight of the disc when you get it right, regardlesss of how you throw it. I guess thats what I get for being taught by an old hippy, 30 yrs ago.
I don't throw OS forehand flex shots unless one is needed, but really, are you guys being serious?
I thought it wasn't "the person with the lowest score, but the one who has the most fun" who is the victor. What if 'the one having the most fun' throws ONLY fore-handed flex shots? Or tomahawks/thumbers. Y'all hate him/her?
Ridiculous

DG isn't about hate. At least not how I was taught. I thought it was about fun, and being outdoors, and watching that amazing flight of the disc when you get it right, regardlesss of how you throw it. I guess thats what I get for being taught by an old hippy, 30 yrs ago.
I don't throw OS forehand flex shots unless one is needed, but really, are you guys being serious?
I thought it wasn't "the person with the lowest score, but the one who has the most fun" who is the victor. What if 'the one having the most fun' throws ONLY fore-handed flex shots? Or tomahawks/thumbers. Y'all hate him/her?
Ridiculous
I'd advise you don't visit the rules forum here then. It is not a happy place.
http://www.dgcoursereview.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=43

Latest posts