• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Forehand Grip

skurf

* Ace Member *
Bronze level trusted reviewer
I've been trying to learn a forehand throw for quite some time now, but I really don't even know the basics of this throw, such as the best way to grip it.

At first I tried one finger under the rim with my pad pressed against the inside wall of the rim, but the disc doesn't seem secure that way and my angle of release varies greatly from one throw to the next and I have some serious flutter. Then I trieda two-finger fan-style grip with my fingers sorta giving the peace sign on the bottom of the disc with my middle finger pressed against the inside of the rim and index finger flat against the bottom of the flight plate. I had better results with this, but it was seriously uncomfortable, especially in the crook of my hand.

So yeah, any advice, descriptions, pictures, etc. would be greatly appreciated.

grip8.gif

Picture looks like my FH grip except I put the pad of the birdie finger on the rim and the index is stacked on top pushing it into the rim. Grip it tight!

Oh, and the thumb pad is directly on top of the birdie finger squeezin hard.

Start with this and tweak it to what feels/works best for you. I personally keep the bottom of my fingers more toward the rim instead of directly on the flight plate
Keep your elbow in if you're not already, that will help a lot with your snap.

yeah i try keeping the pad of my middle finger on the rim - I basically do what Mark Ellis does in that FH Discraft vid. Feels comfortable - using a driver like a Flick takes a little to get used to (comfortwise) cause the rim is so shallow.

I prefer the FH power grip with the index and middle finger pads pressing into the inside of the rim, and the thumb over top them. The ring finger sits under the wing for extra stability. This grip feels more stable in my hand and almost like Im throwing a sidearm fastball than any other.

I prefer the FH power grip with the index and middle finger pads pressing into the inside of the rim, and the thumb over top them. The ring finger sits under the wing for extra stability. This grip feels more stable in my hand and almost like Im throwing a sidearm fastball than any other.

That sounds like the one Mark Ellis uses in the Discraft sidearm video.
*sidenote* I just got firefox and it has spell check :eek:
Anyways, I'm a complete novice at sidearm but that grip has given me the best results.

I know Avery Jenkins uses the FH power grip, and I think Scott Stokley did too. I had never heard about the FH power grip until the last issue of the PDGA magazine came out, but I had been using it since I began throwing. I thought it was a new grip that I had come up with, but its just not as widely used or publicized as the other FH grips for some reason. Even some of the top pros I've played with, were like what grip is that, as I proceeded to out drive them.

Do you have a picture of the FH power grip?

One of the problems I seem to be having is that the disc will dive left into the ground (RHFH) after about 100'. Then if I try to flatten out the release it will go straight for a very short period before catching a lot of air and fading hard right. I'm not sure if this is a grip problem, form problem, angle of release problem or what.

Heres my FH power grip. I put my thumb basically perpendicular to the disc. Some put the thumb more pointing forward, but it feels uncomfortable when I do that.

Attachments

• IMG_0105.jpg
    IMG_0105.jpg
    62.2 KB · Views: 57
Thanks for the pic. When you throw it, are you really trying hard to spin/flick/snap it off your fingers or is it more of a sidearm baseball throw and the spin comes naturally?

Must read

You may find the following helpful...I haven't updated it in a while though...

https://www.dgcoursereview.com/dgr/forums/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=10739

So glad that you posted this. This is one of the most helpful peices I'ver ever read on learning to throw sidearm... if not the best. I printed out a copy a while back and still refer to it. Any advice on FH I have offered is a derivative of this article. JHern, if you ever find your way to BG, KY, I owe you a beer!

Does anyone know if there is a good video online that shows the proper way to throw a forehand disc? I don't really know how to throw one and my wife would really like to learn. I know how to tell her hold it but the throwing motion and stance for the throw I am completely lost on. I know that there is some good information online about how to do it but I know my wife would learn better from seeing an instructional video.

Does anyone know if there is a good video online that shows the proper way to throw a forehand disc? I don't really know how to throw one and my wife would really like to learn. I know how to tell her hold it but the throwing motion and stance for the throw I am completely lost on. I know that there is some good information online about how to do it but I know my wife would learn better from seeing an instructional video.

Try Discraft forehand and Acerunners forehand on youtube. There may be some other worthwhile vids there as well.

I have a lot of success with a one finger forehand grip.. I get the snap I want and accuracy too the 300 ft range which is also about my max distance. I throw a Max though for this shot so I know it is definitely going right (RHFH).

yeah i try keeping the pad of my middle finger on the rim - I basically do what Mark Ellis does in that FH Discraft vid. Feels comfortable - using a driver like a Flick takes a little to get used to (comfortwise) cause the rim is so shallow.

I follow his advice too. It was very helpful and if I ever had time to practice then it would be looking good by now.