• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Forehanding mid and putters

The video actually could be helpful, if you are trying to tee off with a forehand with your putter.... Which doesn't make sense at all. I am gonna have to say that I saw the right post earlier by someone who said a smaller rimmed putter is your friend and they are correct, I have had troubles with trying to find a decent one to forehand and ever since I picked up a warspear, no more problemos. I highly reccomend picking up one of these for forehand approach or out shots.

I have a solid forehand game. I can throw everything from switches and impulses on rollers/ turnovers to nukes, resistors and everything in between without OAT and consistency. However I can not seem to get a clean release on mids and putters with a forehand. I have always powered down discs like my switch, volt and inspire to keep somewhat straight lines for those inside 200ft approaches and such. I believe my main issue with these are the deeper rims. My question is what can I do from a technique stand point or drill to fix this as I think this will greatly improve my scoring and consistency. Also I do throw a zone and am fairly accurate with it but I feel it still is more disc then I need as far as stability. Im looking at flicking discs such as theory, tangent, buzz ss, fuse, truth, vector and my king cobra. Thank you for any help you maybe able to provide.

My game is about 75% forehand. Basically anything 40 ft and out is usually a forehand shot for me. Even if the shot looks like a RHBH hyzer line, I am going to pull out my DX Wolf and flick it. And if you didn't see me throw it would couldn't tell the difference.
Having said that, none of the discs you mention (save for the Vector) have I ever thrown, so I can't really make any suggestions based upon those models.
However, I can suggest picking up a Gator for mid shots, as well as short flick putts. And the best way to perfect the throw is to just get out and do it. For me, I like to go to the local pitch & putt course and play a One-disc round. Nothing gets you in tune with a disc better than throwing it for 54 (give or take) shots, if you know what I mean.

I think I will go with the advice of going back to 1 disc rounds may help actually. Also I am not looking so much for the putter drives with my forehand as the comfort to flick any shot I may need forehand as I have a screwed up knee and dont want to continue to damage it to the point i may need surgery. ive sprained it before and just the other day foot stayed and body rotated around and wrecked me. As I stated earlier I can flick everything from my fairway drivers up but couldnt mids and putters besides my zone but frankly I dont want to rely on a disc to cover my flaws id rather improve. This is the reason why i worked diligently with understable fairways and drivers to work on control yet carry the stable pigs for shot shaping purposes and wind fighting.

Flicking my Aero has taught me a lot about smooth form. I still suck at forehand shots, but oh well. It's more fun to throw slower floaty discs for me. Haha.

My FH "form" is all due to playing Ultimate when I was younger. When I "warm up" for my throw once I am in my stance, I generally mimic the idea of 2-3 "feint" throwing motions as though I were trying to confuse a defensive player.

That being said, someone above indicated this... for me, it is all about the wrist snap. The arm motion is minimal; for me it is about arm/wrist angle and that snap. For short distance approach flicks, I am generally using a Soft APX (to hold anhyzer lines), a Soft Challenger, or a Zone (for S-shaped shots or for anhyzers that pan out nicely for landing). For longer shots, it's a Buzzz or Hornet. I'll try to put up a video at some point (now that I have a much better phone with a better camera for that sort of thing).

I agree with the "start short and work up to longer distances" comment above; try 40-50' anhyzer flicks towards a practice basket (just outside of true putting range). The disc should fly in a smooth arc and hold it's line the whole way. Then back up.

If you are looking shallow rims because of deep-rimmed putter problems, Zones are solid, as are the Harp, or the Ringer. They are all OS long approach putters, but the rims are more shallow.

You may want to try a Leopard, it has a pretty shallow rim that I think makes it easier to flick, and it holds a line pretty darn well. Since you already flick a Zone you may want to look into a beat ProD one for something slightly more understable. I personally use a first run Champ Rhyno, which is fairly understable for a champ Rhyno, in this slot, but that rim is a little deep.