• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Former Giants pitcher Brian Wilson plays Disc Golf

Why is he playing Disc Golf? He is recovering from Tommy John Surgery and is a free agent right now. If he blows out his elbow again that is his career.

I am all for relaxing but the guy should be 100% about baseball and his recovery right now. I was hoping the Red Sox sign him so i hope he doesnt do to much reckless stuff before someone signs him.

Maybe he throws left handed. I throw a baseball right handed and a disc left.

have you guys not heard of brian wilson before??? do you think he cares about playing it safe and being 'low key?' seriously youtube the guys name. youre all insulting the beard.

Its all still involving the elbow. I mean he can do what he wants, i would not be doing anything but baseball activities.

But, isn't that how his elbow got in this mess to begin with? ;)

Its all still involving the elbow. I mean he can do what he wants, but if i was rehabbing a 2nd tommy john surgery and no one has ever come back from a 3rd i would not be doing anything but baseball activities. Save disc golf for retirement.

You do realize his surgery was in April 2012 right? and his first one was in 2002 while at LSU.

The dude is fine. He'd probably still be on the DL if he wasn't owed so much money this year, so the Giants non-tendered him but they're already looking to get him back...probably for next year.

You do realize his surgery was in April 2012 right? and his first one was in 2002 while at LSU.

The dude is fine. He'd probably still be on the DL if he wasn't owed so much money this year, so the Giants non-tendered him but they're already looking to get him back...probably for next year.

It doesnt matter how far apart the surgeries were. Its still weakened.

The guy can do whatever he wants, but its still unsafe to be out playing other sports when your rehabbing trying to get an MLB contract.

Giants may be looking to get him back but now they will be competing with everyone else.

TJ surgery has gotten so good that often times the elbow is stronger than ever following the surgery.

Following the FIRST surgery. Multiple Tommy Johns do NOT strengthen the ulnar collateral ligament. The statistics say only 20% of pitchers who go for a second tommy john come back anywhere near their old form and the stats for a third are nearly 0%.

Here is a quote from an article about multiple tommy john surgeries:

"According to James Andrews, a Birmingham, Ala.-based orthopedist who many pitchers visit to seek second opinions on their throwing arms. According to statistics maintained by his office, Andrews performed 1,169 Tommy John surgeries over a 12-year span. Of those, only 12 players were going for their second elbow reconstruction.

For those 12, the success rate — a pitcher making it to his presurgery level of baseball — is about 20%, Andrews estimates. "

Either way would love to play 18 with him and hear some stories, seems like a character.

Ya i agree it would be awesome. I am just looking at it from a strictly baseball fans perspective and a personal perspective. I want my team to pick him up and dont wanna see him injured again and if i was him i wouldnt want to risk the millions of dollars and put my career in jeopardy.

Somebody get The Beard a champ firebird.

Sounds like he is getting pretty healthy (from the merc news link): "According to ESPN's Buster Olney, Wilson intends to hold a showcase event for scouts around Aug. 1 in hopes of securing a big league job for the season's final two months."

wow, some people freaking care about professional athletes and pro sports WAY too much. here's a tip I learned many years ago. "THEY DON'T GIVE A **** ABOUT YOU, WHY DO YOU GIVE A **** ABOUT THEM?"

That being said, the intent of this thread is cool. It would be cool to randomly play a round with a celebrity. Though I'd much rather shoot a round with McBeth/Shusterick/Wysocki, etc over some other sport star though. Actually see a great disc golfer do their thing.

Following the FIRST surgery. Multiple Tommy Johns do NOT strengthen the ulnar collateral ligament. The statistics say only 20% of pitchers who go for a second tommy john come back anywhere near their old form and the stats for a third are nearly 0%.

Here is a quote from an article about multiple tommy john surgeries:

"According to James Andrews, a Birmingham, Ala.-based orthopedist who many pitchers visit to seek second opinions on their throwing arms. According to statistics maintained by his office, Andrews performed 1,169 Tommy John surgeries over a 12-year span. Of those, only 12 players were going for their second elbow reconstruction.

For those 12, the success rate — a pitcher making it to his presurgery level of baseball — is about 20%, Andrews estimates. "

1. If he was cleared to do a pitching demo at USF this week, then he's fine to throw a disc.

2. If you throw discs so hard that you're hurting your shoulder, then you're doing it wrong anyway.

geeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeez.

I don't know what's funnier: The bear showing to play at GGP or Greg B (on the left, holding rake) actually working on the course.

12 pitchers is waaaaay too small a sample size to be making any kind of judgement. Also, if the success rate is so small, perhaps Wilson has decided frac it and just hasn't officially retired.