• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Fox River Park, Silver Lake, WI

gabe32

Looking for any info on the new course that supposed to be going in here

No news to report right now. I volunteered my help in the designing phase of this course to the man in charge, but havent been notified of a need for my help. I just wanted to get involved in the design/layout phase but nothing has happened since last fall. I will notify you of progress if and when I am allowed to do so. I am not holding anything back I just only want to make sure I only comment when it is appropriate. I may not even be asked to help out at this point, but last fall I offered my help and it was verbally accepted. Thats as much as I can say and truthfully that is all that I know about this course.

k, thanks, im really hoping for something. its the closest course to me. the park has so much potential.

i saw terry miller the other day at valley view, asked him about when the course might go in, and he was thinking sometime in may. he said they bought the baskets already. i agree, there is a lot of potential in that property.

I played the new course yesterday to the upside down buckets and man it is tough. I really like the course a lot though. I'm hoping i'll do a little better on Saturday for the grand opening tournament. Anyone else going?

I played it yesterday too. An amazingly beautiful course. The upsidedown barrels (covering the sleeves) alternate short, long, short, long. I spoke to a park worker (manager?) and he was very excited about the course. he told me baskets go in on Friday (the day before the opening tournament).

I wish I lived closer to it - it is the best course in 30-40 miles. I am hoping to make the tournament Saturday.

Where might I find more info on the tourney? I was thinking of heading to parkside Saturday but would rather play the new one.....

Thats awesome news about the pins being put in. I'm supposed to go play it sometime again on friday so hopefully they will be in by then. Parkside is my home course and I love it a lot but fox river park is just ridiculously awesome now. I have family in Burlington so I'm out by that course a lot and used to play the nine over and over and over with mids. But now i cant wait to learn the "Grey fox".

I ended up playing the short baskets(barrels) last friday, very fun, can't wait to hear chains bangin on that course! At about 30 minutes from my house, I may be playing this one quite often.

I'm about 80% certain I'll be at the Saturday tourney there.

Played pretty good in the tournament shot a 58 and placed 5th. I won $12 in funny money for placing 5th and $8 for making a backwards putt in the ring of fire. All in all pretty awesome time and like I said before the course is amazing. Spent the funny money on a bottom stamped roc and a new water bottle. How did everyone else do?

All I can say is that I DID NOT finish last. :) cough76cough

The course was amazing and I had a great time. Terry and the guys that helped put it together made a course that will not be easy to get neg if everything is in the long positions.

I also have a feeling that #13 will almost always be in the long position. Island greens are just fun to play.

Again, worth playing and you guys in Illinois have another Wisconsin gem just over the boarder...:hfive:

Just heard from Mr. Tom Julio, he's claiming this course is one of the best in the state! Don't know about all that....but, sounds like folks need to check it out.

There are some really really really good holes on this course! The course is incredibly beautiful and serene! I can certainly see where some/many may say this is a "must play".

I rated it a 3.5 (grade of 88 = B+) which is the lower-end of what seems like a "must play" by most people's standards around here.

By comparison here is what I rated the top half of the 18 hole (and more) courses I have played in WI (limited (severely) to only the greater Milwaukee & Madison areas):
94 - Dretzka
93 - Brown Deer
91 - Hiestand
90 - Elver Park
89 - Vallarta-Ast/Token
88 - Fox River - Grey Fox
87 - Lustig
86 - Parkside
85 - Rock River
84 - Dretzka (temp layout for Worlds 2007)
83 - Village Park (Sussex)
82 - Dineen

Fox River loses some points with me in that it does not have anything too demanding in the shot-shaping department (mainly straight holes with minimum late turns/fades). Also, many of the short basket locations are too short to be fun/challenging for >300' throwers (which is fine for some, but not for me), and many of the longer basket locations make them tweener holes for 275-350' throwers (again, fine for short arms and also for long arms, but not for me.....nor for the majority of 900-975 rated players).

TallPaul (or others) - look me up if/when you get a chance to play. I live about 35-40min away, so it is doable family/work schedule permitting.

Played pretty good in the tournament shot a 58 and placed 5th. I won $12 in funny money for placing 5th and $8 for making a backwards putt in the ring of fire. All in all pretty awesome time and like I said before the course is amazing. Spent the funny money on a bottom stamped roc and a new water bottle. How did everyone else do?

I ended up 4th, I think I edged you out my a single stroke and cashed in a whopping $2 more. I'm rich! I ended up spending my winnings on a Champion TL, with a Leave It To Beaver stamp. Love it! The tourney was quite a fun time, and the course is now one of my favorites within 30 minutes of me. Great job by Terry Miller in crafting so much variety into just 18 holes. :thmbup:

Dave, that sounds like a plan (getting together with you to play there). No love for Appleton area courses? Not even O'Hauser? I think all of our courses are better than Dineen and Sussex. :)

Latest posts