• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Friction disc golf specific gloves?

Notverygood

Par Member
Silver level trusted reviewer
So, As I was browsing the 2016 top rated course list from the home page, I saw an ad on the sidebar that caught my attention...

DG specific gloves

http://www.frictiongloves.com/store/p28/*NEW*_Friction_DG_Disc_Golf_Gloves.html

Anybody have any experience with these in particular? Or any other gloves while golfing? It's getting cold here, and the idea of a glove that I don't have to take off every time I throw is intriguing...but I just don't see it working well.
Seems like there would be a big lack of feel, due to the fit of the glove or just the thickness of the material.

Anybody? Looks interesting... Also says they came from Ultimate. I could maybe see them being useful and not as much of a hindrance with the size of a lid, but the small sizes of golf disc rims leave me doubtful.

Also, what the legality of using a glove during sanctioned play?

I bought a pair of the Friction gloves about three or so weeks ago. In Florida, it's not about the cold but the rain. I can't give much of a review because it hasn't rained around here since I got them. They do feel comfortable and do seem to grab a disc real nice when I wetted it down.

I just played picnic island for the first time last weekend...Awesome course.

Back to the point, the wet was a huge hindrance in my round today as it rained all night/morning and was muddy everywhere. After a few holes my towel had reached its capacity so everything was pretty damp.

They fit ok? No real feel difference? How thick is the material?

I'm primarily a Forehand player, so I wonder how they differ between backhand and forehand

I have them and they r great. Doesn't really affect me much at all. They grip much better than I expected. I throw primarily RHBH, but I threw some distance FH shots while wearing them and they weren't an issue. Won't be wearing them come summer(unless it's raining), but for winter they have been great

I decided to get me a pair after seeing this video.

Next question then.

Do they IMPROVE your grip? Enhancing your grip on the disc? Perhaps becoming a crutch?

I could see the legality of them coming in to question if this was the case? But, then wouldn't thinks like chalk/birdie bags also be of the same category?

Next question then.

Do they IMPROVE your grip? Enhancing your grip on the disc? Perhaps becoming a crutch?

I could see the legality of them coming in to question if this was the case? But, then wouldn't thinks like chalk/birdie bags also be of the same category?

I personally don't think so, but I guess that's an opinion.

Got a pair of these for Xmas.

FANTASTIC. Grip is great, feel is the same as no glove... I've played 4 rounds with them so far, and I've been driving much better. No grip-lock, no early slip-outs. Just good grip and clean releases. Good for FH and BH.

I'm sold. They are staying the bag permanently.

I got some for Crimbo and love them. They're really helpful in wet conditions; no more slips. Well, other than from my lack of skill.

And what's Crimbo?

All of the positive feedback from you guys is leading me towards picking up a set for the winter.

I usually wear gloves, but take one off for every throw. Pita

No reason to buy both hands (an extra $10) unless you throw with both hands. I got one, right hand only. Can just put a normal glove on my left land to keep it warm.

Played a round in a frozen 1/2" of snow last week, about 35-40 F on a somewhat muddy course. Forgot to put it on for my first drive off the tee. Immediately put it on and it improved my grip significantly even on dry (cold) discs where I wasn't gripping well just because my hand was cold. Hand stayed warm the entire round (half round, it's only a 9 hole course, but I could see it being warm for 18). I even had my longest throw down the big hill on the last hole of that course -- longest throw I've ever thrown, even downhill. My point being that I think it improves your grip significantly. I think it would not become a crutch if you only used it in snow/rain, but it could become a crutch if you used it for every round even when you wouldn't normally need to.

During the round, I could pick up the disc, wipe the mud/wet dirt off it, and throw without spending the time to make the disc bone-dry. I did not try to throw it when completely wet/dirty because I didn't want the dirt to get in my bag, not because I didn't think the gloves could handle it.

Crimbo....interesting.

Mike the cow, good review. I'm thinking more and more about ordering a pair. I see your point about only buying one, but then what set of gloves do I want to break up that I already own.

I figure I'll buy a pair and just leave them in the bag for the winter.

So far, they sound great though. Thanks all of you for the input

Another question.

Are there other disc golf/disc specific gloves on the market?

These seem to be popular at least

I used my glove(s) at field practice today and it really helps the grip. Also an improvement tonight at home with putting in the back yard.

Sorry, don't mean to hijack the thread but Crimbo is mentioned on 4 posts so I had to look it up. Warning: Almost 7 minutes of your life you'll never get back.

I seem to enjoy the gloves till its time to putt. Played a round in the rain with them and didn't miss a beat with them on. I will just be taking them off for putting unless its just an absolute down poor.

I just got one of these. Haven't had a chance to take it out to play a round yet, but I putted in the backyard today with it on and it was way better than I expected. Weather is a dry 30 degrees F. I was expecting the gloves to be good for driving, but maybe not so great for putting. It took me 2 or 3 putts to be comfortable with the glove and from there I was just putting as usual. I'm looking forward to taking this out for a regular round in the near future to see how driving goes. I often have grip issues during the wet winter here in Oregon, so hopefully this will solve that problem for me.

In terms of PDGA legality, they call out gloves specifically as being legal. Whether or not you're also wearing for grip reasons, it can definitely also be said to "reduce or control abrasion to the skin" in which context gloves are called out as being legal. So I think you're all good there.

Latest posts