• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Friction disc golf specific gloves?

More good words on these... I've still yet to pull the trigger, but with the wet weather we've been having, and 2"+ inches of snow expected for this weekend here in Charlotte, I may be wishing I had them.

Also, I'm kind of surprised they're legal.

Also, I'm kind of surprised they're legal.

Why, ever other sport allows stuff like this. Not like it is putting a substance on the disc to change its flight. I doubt I would ever try these, but I know a sponsored player who uses them for forehands even when not wet or cold. Seems like a very logical product.

A cold front came through last night so this morning was breezy and drizzling. Nobody else out so I had the course to myself. Used my friction glove and didn't even need to use my towels which was good because I had my rain gear on and they weren't all that dry. Only one little slip on the last hole and that was me not gripping well.

Why, ever other sport allows stuff like this. Not like it is putting a substance on the disc to change its flight. I doubt I would ever try these, but I know a sponsored player who uses them for forehands even when not wet or cold. Seems like a very logical product.

I get it that other sports (football) allow gloves, but from the pdga's eyes, something that can be an improvement in grip over bare handed seems like an aid. But, I guess if it's legal, everyone has the option to use them, so it's still a level playing field.

I'm not so concerned about having these for the cold after playing this weekend I'm sub freezing temperatures. I'm more liking these for the sake of playing wet rounds. In the snow my towel gets soaked after just a few holes. Pita

35 degrees with constant drizzle here. It's a double glove day, warm, thin leather on the inside and water resistant and grippy on the outside. Still only works for maybe 45 minutes before my fingers still get numb. :(

I played a round today with the Friction glove at a very wet course (40 degrees, loads of standing water and it started drizzling on the last few holes). I don't think the glove is quite perfect (I still had a few drives that slipped out early), but it is definitely an improvement for me in the wet weather. I'm still wiping my discs off, but I can wipe them and put them in my bag and not have to wipe them again right before throwing to try and get a spot that's extra dry for my hand. I also hit pretty much every putt I had inside 30 feet, so I think I can say with confidence that it doesn't hurt my putting. :)

I'm planning to play a tournament Saturday with them. Let's see if I can get the director to agree they're legal.

I'm planning to play a tournament Saturday with them. Let's see if I can get the director to agree they're legal.

Haha, well if you show him the line in the PDGA rules were it calls out gloves as specifically being legal, then I don't know how he could say they aren't. I know that the rule calling out gloves says something about things "to prevent abrasion" but think about it this way: if you're going to wear a glove to prevent abrasion, doesn't it also need to give you as good a grip as you would have without it? The grip with the Friction Glove is definitely no better than your bare hands would be when your hands and disc are dry. Actually, I much prefer the grip and disc feel with bare hands (assuming it's dry and relatively warm).

The Friction Glove is also cheap and anyone can buy one and use it, so it's not like there isn't a level playing field. I mean, anyone can buy a towel and an umbrella too; if someone shows up to a tournament in the rain without those and does poorly it's not because there's not a level playing field for them.

Update, I played a tournament in freezing rain last Saturday with these. Only one slip through two rounds. By the second round I wasn't even drying my discs, just wiping the mud off them. Very effective.

I bought a pair last year, when they were geared toward ultimate. They are great for wet conditions.
Also, gloves are not illegal. So stop asking/guessing.

I bought a pair of the Friction gloves about three or so weeks ago. In Florida, it's not about the cold but the rain. I can't give much of a review because it hasn't rained around here since I got them.

Color me jealous!

I played a round at Milo McIver on Sunday with my friction glove. It was not raining (at least not till the last hole), but it was cold and the ground was wet because it had been raining earlier in the day. I had my best round ever on the east 18. I only lightly wiped off my discs when I picked them up and didn't have a single early release due to slippage. It felt great to be able to go really aggressive on my drives when most of the time during the winter here I am babying them a little due to grip and/or footing issues. The friction glove is definitely in my bag until summer starts.

Played last weekend in the rain with them. Started out great but as the round went on they started to loose a little of the grip I was gaining from them. Think I might need to order a second pair and swap between the two during the round. I do have a tack cloth that I use and it help some with the glove.

I've started using my glove all the time, rain or shine; practice or play. For me there is a big difference in the grip that I hadn't realized before. As we get older, the pads of our fingers get smoother. If you've ever had trouble turning the page of a book or counting money you know what I mean. Smooth finger tips on slick plastic equals slips. As to the question of should they be allowed, maybe the better question is "what took so long?" Think of other sports that use gloves: baseball for batting; football wide receivers, soccer goaltenders; and of course, regular golfers.

I've started using my glove all the time, rain or shine; practice or play. For me there is a big difference in the grip that I hadn't realized before. As we get older, the pads of our fingers get smoother. If you've ever had trouble turning the page of a book or counting money you know what I mean. Smooth finger tips on slick plastic equals slips.

Depending on the glove, might get a bit warm in your neck of the woods come summer time. Here in the wet, damp, moldy Pacific NW, I use my gloves as needed. If I choose to go gloves that day, it is an all in. Put 'em on and keep 'em on, I can't switch back and forth.

As to the question of should they be allowed, maybe the better question is "what took so long?" Think of other sports that use gloves: baseball for batting; football wide receivers, soccer goaltenders; and of course, regular golfers.

^ that

Rules must have changed as these definitely were not legal before

Really?? It seems like they have always been legal. I don't know why I remember this, but Chuck Kennedy used to play with a glove on so I think it has been his pet project to keep them legal lol.

Latest posts