• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Frisbee Golf

Stable

* Ace Member *
First off, I apologize if this has been brought up before. I think that the word frisbee is much more marketable than disc. When I tell people that don't know about our sport that I'm going to play disc golf, they give me a :\ face. When I say frisbee golf they usually give me a :D positive reaction. I think this is because people instantly relate the word frisbee to something they understand and it just sounds positive and relatable. Frisbee is a great word and should be embraced by our sport.

Even if we wanted to, we couldn't. 'Frisbee' is a copyrighted name owned by Whammo, and they won't let us use it.

Even if we wanted to, we couldn't. 'Frisbee' is a copyrighted name owned by Whammo, and they won't let us use it.

I did not know this. Like they said in GI Joe....Knowing is half the battle.

Frisbee is how I describe it to non-players. Whamo can't keep you from using the word in non-commercial settings, and it's definitely a lot easier to get your point across calling it frisbee golf than disc golf.

Here in NZ there isn't the same stigma calling it frisbee golf or a lot of people just say wanna play some frisbee.

In North America a lot more people get bent out of shape about it.

Discs just fly so different than frisbees. I agree it does sound more normal to an outsider, but it can also give them the wrong idea. When I hear frisbee golf, I think of kids throwing frisbees at telephone poles.

I had a student once ask, "Huh? Disco Golf?" That was in 1996 when it still wasn't very well known. he was 11...

I don't like to use the term "frisbee" golf, but I always have to anyway, so people can understand. Relatively few outsiders have ever seen a golf disc, so they have no concept of what it might look like.

I'll say "Frisbee Golf" to people who have no clue, then if appropriate, say something like, "...a sleeker, modern version of Frisbee Golf."

I grew up throwing frisbees - back and forth with my dad and friends, freestyle frisbee, freestyle dog frisbee. Now days I play "disc golf" yet I still throw frisbees. "Want to go throw some frisbees?" "I can't find my frisbee, it's a yellow roc somewhere in these weeds."

The other day at a bus stop
"dynamic discs - is that some kind of ultimate frisbee thing?"
"nope, disc golf"
"disco? :|"
"no frisbee golf"
"oh :\"

Frisbee is how I describe it to non-players. Whamo can't keep you from using the word in non-commercial settings, and it's definitely a lot easier to get your point across calling it frisbee golf than disc golf.

Yep. This is what i do.

I once had a guy reply, "Oh! You mean Frolf?"

I stabbed him in the heart. :|

I got the "disco" comment once too from some idiot at a Taco Bell while I was wearing a DD shirt.

That ought to warrant a punch in the face.

The amount of times I got "disco golf" is remarkable...especially when I was in Germany where they don't even know what frisbee golf is.

The Spanish word for disc is "disco." And disc golf is "golf de disco." So I say I'm going to play "discos" to my wife all the time.

It only sounds weird to you gringos. :p

The Spanish word for disc is "disco." And disc golf is "golf de disco." So I say I'm going to play "discos" to my wife all the time.

It only sounds weird to you gringos. :p

Maybe this will help me explain to some of my co-workers what I'm doing on the weekends.

Latest posts