• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Innova] From hype to horror-DON'T POST A GROOVE THREAD UNTIL YOU READ THIS!

Do you hate the groove

• YES(Always)

Votes: 221 52.7%
  • NO(Never)

Votes: 138 32.9%
  • SOMETIMES(When it doesnt do what you want it to...but you still throw it)

Votes: 60 14.3%

• Total voters
I just got a first run groove yesterday, thought I was getting a second run for $12.99. Whatever I'll still take it. Its so friggin windy it sucks I can't really test it. Steady 30mph winds gusts 50mph!

Maybe its a different style of the champion plastic. I actually like the feel of this new plastic a lot more then my other champion plastic discs that I have.

got out and threw my first run today...decently understable...throws about like a valk, maybe a little less understable right now, but i'm guessing after it gets beat in a little it will be pretty sweet...comes off my hand SUPER fast...

Every run of Innova discs feel a lot different though. There are some old runs of champs that are opaque.

granted.

i am talking about the difference between the 4 opaque ones i got in that are from the same run as the other 46 clear ones which came in the same box.

got out and threw my first run today...decently understable...throws about like a valk, maybe a little less understable right now, but i'm guessing after it gets beat in a little it will be pretty sweet...comes off my hand SUPER fast...

First or Second Run?

A few questions...

1: I hear a lot of claims out there that slower discs "improve your form more quickly than fast discs," but how is a disc supposed to improve my form? Doesn't improvement come from practice and good advice, no matter what you're throwing?

2: Even if you've got an arm like Randy Johnson, is a Speed 13 disc really going to be all that useful on most courses? Seriously, how many broad, straight, 450 foot fairways are there out there anyway? I haven't seen any in my hometown.

3: I don't understand the motives of those that say "don't buy a high-speed driver unless your form is perfect..." Why not let people go experiment and find their point of diminishing return themselves? They may decide to put away the Groove for a while until their form improves, but why should we discourage experimentation?

1 and 3 are kind of linked: Newer players wont have the form to get the flight out of a speed 13 disc, typically they will start trying to "arm" it desperatly trying to get as much as they can, and feeling great that they just up'ed their distance record to 275'. This leads to slower develepment. Meaning it will take two years of terrible practice to accomplish what they could have in 6 months of good practice.

2: There are several wide open 400'+ holes I play, this may be different to different people however. Not to mention alot of fairways are still wide enough to fit a distance S turn or hyzerflip down.

I dont now how u guys are turning it, pretty piggish disc.

it sure didn't act as overstable as i've read people on here saying it is...threw it flat, turned a little right, then slowly came back left...on my very first throw with it, easily got as much distance with it as i have w/ my first run boss which i threw immediately after...first throw was around 340-350...didn't get another clean throw with it today, maybe tomorrow...my longest drive ever was with a star destroyer though...a hair over 400 is what we paced out, i'd give it plus or minus 20 feet...

I threw one at 168g today and it was quite understable. I liked it. It didn't cut back nearly as hard as I expected it to.

A few questions...

1: I hear a lot of claims out there that slower discs "improve your form more quickly than fast discs," but how is a disc supposed to improve my form? Doesn't improvement come from practice and good advice, no matter what you're throwing?
There are three ways to get a disc to flip, speed, nose down and OAT. Throwing a disc faster than you can handle promotes OAT. There's a thread about it here somewhere that has a lot about why this is bad.

2: Even if you've got an arm like Randy Johnson, is a Speed 13 disc really going to be all that useful on most courses? Seriously, how many broad, straight, 450 foot fairways are there out there anyway? I haven't seen any in my hometown.
There are a few, but mostly I agree, your super fast discance driver will be the least useful disc in your bag.

3: I don't understand the motives of those that say "don't buy a high-speed driver unless your form is perfect..." Why not let people go experiment and find their point of diminishing return themselves? They may decide to put away the Groove for a while until their form improves, but why should we discourage experimentation?
The motives are to give good advice. You don't need to come to a forum to get permission to do whatever you want. Anyone who wants to blindly experiment is welcome to do that. I'd rather the good advice at least be presented so a person at least has the choice of doing it the easy, fast way rather than sitting idely and letting everyone do it the slow, difficult way. It's much, much easier to start off learning with slower discs than it is to try learning with fast discs and then unlearn all the bad habits and then learn the right way with slower discs. It's not that it's less productive to learn with faster discs, it's that it's actually counterproductive. Most of us promoting the easier way have already tried the harder way. FWIW, it's been years since I've heard a new argument against the advice I've been giving.

I got mine today and tossed it along side my star Destroyer. They flew pretty much the same and the groove mabey went a little further though no more than a few feet. The Destroyer was 168 and the Groove was 167. Pretty much the same turn and fade.
I don't have any arm at all but I like using the S curve that the Destroyer has. So this will not improve my game but Just Mabey one day it will fly like my beat in 169 Destroyer first run star.

I stand corrected on my previous statements. Got a good chance to throw it around several times today. It will hold a turnover quite nicely, dunno what I was doing different but it doesnt want to fade back at all.

Doesnt seem to be as reliable as a Wraith, but im still working on it.

I do not have a big arm, and I totally love the Groove!!! I get the flight, and distance that I was hoping to get from the Boss(without the huge fade)...

Unless I missed it what are the ratings on the Groove?
Speed = 13
Glide
Turn
Fade

I finally got to test my 164 first run Groove and it has some high speed turn and usually fades at the end. It will do a big anhzyer nicely. I had a hard time getting the control I want and will not likely use it a tourney yet. I could see liking it more beat in though. Got it out 360 or so which is the farthest I've backhanded so far. Its definately better than Boss backhand. I should have tried to sidearm the Groove, the Boss is crazy sidearm for max distance although I am not gonna throw it a tourney because the accuracy is not there.

Latest posts