• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Innova] From hype to horror-DON'T POST A GROOVE THREAD UNTIL YOU READ THIS!

Do you hate the groove

• YES(Always)

Votes: 221 52.7%
  • NO(Never)

Votes: 138 32.9%
  • SOMETIMES(When it doesnt do what you want it to...but you still throw it)

Votes: 60 14.3%

• Total voters
I got a Groove but I couldn't get it to perform well for me. I was consistently throwing further with my Starfire and my Wraith.

simply put, the Groove is the best disc I have ever thrown for pure distance and speed....BUT it has it's limitations and usage.

I am a RHBH thrower so everything below is relevant to that.

The Groove def wants to roll to the right with power. With no wind you have to power the disc with a slight hyzer angle and let it hyzer flip. it looks like it will roll over completely but magically comes back.

With a right to left wind this disc will glide like no other. It holds the record for my longest drives with this condition. This is it's sweet spot.

With a left to right wind watchout. The disc will roll with the wind. It won't roll over but will glide way far to the right. In this wind condition is where the Boss excels. So both the Boss and the Groove compliment each other perfectly in my opinion.

Two great discs that are at the top of my disc chain.

I throw a monarch with a mild downwind. I throw a groove into a strong headwind. The flight paths end up looking pretty similar for me.

I probably just can't get it up to speed though. I don't think it is designed for people like me who typically drive 250-275.

I said in another forum that I did not like the Groove. I went and got one and like it a lot now. I seem to get a little extra distance. I throw forehand and for me it dives right really hard after some good distance. I find it useful on several courses that I play around where I live. It couldn't hurt to pick one up.

I said in another forum that I did not like the Groove. I went and got one and like it a lot now. I seem to get a little extra distance. I throw forehand and for me it dives right really hard after some good distance. I find it useful on several courses that I play around where I live. It couldn't hurt to pick one up.

Is it just me or do you most people have a love hate relationship with most discs. The discs that I love to hype now are ones that I have been frustrated with in the past. The only exception that I can think of is my TL that is safely resting at the bottom of a pond right now. I have always loved that disc. And yes I would love to get a Groove right about now, especially after rippin my Valk today. Speaking of my Valk, I have had a few amazing drives with that thing recently.

I throw a monarch with a mild downwind. I throw a groove into a strong headwind. The flight paths end up looking pretty similar for me.

I probably just can't get it up to speed though. I don't think it is designed for people like me who typically drive 250-275.

with the groove..you need to give it alot of snap along with speed...the more snap the more "speed" the disc is spinning at (if I am correct in thinking this..im sure someone will prove me wrong lol) I am able to get it to stay fairly straight without dipping to fast to the left RHBH if I get a good pull and snap on it..if not it dives fast...I would get a valk and practice ripping one of those first then move up to the groove..

with the groove..you need to give it alot of snap along with speed...the more snap the more "speed" the disc is spinning at (if I am correct in thinking this..im sure someone will prove me wrong lol) I am able to get it to stay fairly straight without dipping to fast to the left RHBH if I get a good pull and snap on it..if not it dives fast...I would get a valk and practice ripping one of those first then move up to the groove..

I'm on my second Valk now. I wore out a dx one and have a relatively new star 175. I can turn it a bit for a nice S without any wind, but can't quite turn it over without a headwind.

I haven't thrown my first run groove much, being new it feels more overstable than my Boss. I keep turning my Valk a bit and it won't fade back so I might pull the groove out some more. My teeny hands prefer my Xcal and Teebird.

I'm on my second Valk now. I wore out a dx one and have a relatively new star 175. I can turn it a bit for a nice S without any wind, but can't quite turn it over without a headwind.

I am sure that part of that is the plastic. Star is generally more stable than DX, and Star is more stable than Champion, which is more stable than pro which is more stable than DX.

Right on the money.

A few questions...

1: I hear a lot of claims out there that slower discs "improve your form more quickly than fast discs," but how is a disc supposed to improve my form? Doesn't improvement come from practice and good advice, no matter what you're throwing?

2: Even if you've got an arm like Randy Johnson, is a Speed 13 disc really going to be all that useful on most courses? Seriously, how many broad, straight, 450 foot fairways are there out there anyway? I haven't seen any in my hometown.

3: I don't understand the motives of those that say "don't buy a high-speed driver unless your form is perfect..." Why not let people go experiment and find their point of diminishing return themselves? They may decide to put away the Groove for a while until their form improves, but why should we discourage experimentation?

I have found the same to be true. My first driver was a Leopard and it was good and someone gave me a wraith and I could not manage it well. After loosing my leopard I went to a Valkyrie because my arm strength and snap were improving. Now I'm back to the Wraith.

The adventure and learning was all part of the game and enjoyment. The groove is a good disc but not for everyone.

The first thing I learned was to be willing to try a disc but to ignore anyone who said you had to have this or that. The important thing is to find what works for you and throw it. Time, practice, and good advise will be your best teacher. After all it has to be fun and if the disc is something you like to throw than throw the !@@#$$% thing and have fun!

Something else occurred to me.

While each disc is designed to fly a certain way based on design and the laws of physics the person operating the disc is an individual. Hence the term the "human factor".

I use a destroyer for sidearms and can really spin it. But I cannot quite get that spin on my back hand. Yet when I need a long very overstable drive I know the destroyer will loose spin and fade hard left and I use it appropriately for that. Give me a long dog leg and it then becomes an appropriate disc for a guy who learns his discs and uses what he has. Because I don't know about anyone else but I cannot afford every disc out there nor would I want to carry them all. So I learn to use what I have.

My first driver was a Leopard and it was good and someone gave me a wraith and I could not manage it well. After loosing my leopard I went to a Valkyrie because my arm strength and snap were improving. Now I'm back to the Wraith.

The adventure and learning was all part of the game and enjoyment. The groove is a good disc but not for everyone.

The first thing I learned was to be willing to try a disc but to ignore anyone who said you had to have this or that. The important thing is to find what works for you and throw it. Time, practice, and good advise will be your best teacher. After all it has to be fun and if the disc is something you like to throw than throw the !@@#$$% thing and have fun!

Something else occurred to me.

While each disc is designed to fly a certain way based on design and the laws of physics the person operating the disc is an individual. Hence the term the "human factor".

I use a destroyer for sidearms and can really spin it. But I cannot quite get that spin on my back hand. Yet when I need a long very overstable drive I know the destroyer will loose spin and fade hard left and I use it appropriately for that. Give me a long dog leg and it then becomes an appropriate disc for a guy who learns his discs and uses what he has.

I don't know about anyone else but I cannot afford every disc out there nor would I want to carry them all. So I learn to use what I have.

I found one today...

...whilst searching the dark and murky 'duck butter' filled waters here in Boise for my Pro Beast. I found this after 20 minutes of blind wading, and said "what the hell, it's a draw." It's unmarked, completely new, with no marks. 172g, which for me is a bit heavy. I tried to throw this with anhyzer for 4 drives after I found it.
Now, I've been told "if you like the Beast (I love it btw) then you GOTTA have a Groove." From those 4 throws, I disagree so far. It seemed pretty overstable, no matter how much anhyzer I put on the disc. I throw somewhere between 300-350 usually, and figured this would get somewhere in that area, but it faded pretty quickly and dropped somewhere in the 250' range, at best.
I'm pretty new to the 'game', but I still figured I coulda done better than that.
I throw the Boss farther, if I ever put it in my bag.
I'm wishing I'd found my well broken in Pro Beast now :(

My legs were frozen from the water too, so that may have something to do with it, seeing how I couldn't get a good X-step going.

i jsut bought a Groove and i dont like it....i'll sell it, its a 168
Break it in first. I didn't like mine right away. I don't have a big gun so it hyzered really quickly. It broke in and now it works great.

I'd be willing to trade for the groove. Check out my "whats in the bag" icon and then go to discs for trade and perhaps I might be willing to trade.

Latest posts