• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Innova] From hype to horror-DON'T POST A GROOVE THREAD UNTIL YOU READ THIS!

Do you hate the groove

• YES(Always)

Votes: 221 52.7%
  • NO(Never)

Votes: 138 32.9%
  • SOMETIMES(When it doesnt do what you want it to...but you still throw it)

Votes: 60 14.3%

• Total voters
Wobble = OAT.
oatmonster-1.jpg

Great pic courtesy of DGR

If you can get a normal driver (as opposed to a freak driver like the boss, which is intended for people that can throw 400 ft. +) and learn to throw it straight -- you'll be doing yourself a favor. Try a champion teebird or champ eagle, both highly consistent discs.

In order to get these discs flying up over 300 feet you'll likely have to improve your technique and form. Once you learn to control them and throw them to their potential, that technique will translate into throwing your distance drivers (boss, nuke, destroyer, etc) farther. At 250-300 feet you're not coming close to getting the full flight of a Boss/Groove. That's what it's all about, getting a full flight of the disc and taking advantage of what it can do -- this leads to consistency which will help keep your scores down. Common DG quote "You always want to throw the slowest disc you can get there" e.g. a lot of people drive with putters on holes between 200-300 feet because they are the most accurate and consistent. They won't go skipping/rolling (or flying) past the hole as often as a faster disc would.

edit: here's a link to marshall street's flight guide if you've never seen one http://www.marshallstreetdiscgolf.com/htmlpages/flightguide.html

No one's mentioned this yet, but do you ever drive backhanded? I know some people throw forehand because of injuries and other stuff, but if you are healthy I would recommend learning how to throw backhand, as the general consensus is it has an overall better distance potential.

The Groove is a FH sorta disc only, from my experience. Maybe the top pros can throw it BH, but I doubt it. Certainly, the Groove is far from ideal as a main distance driver. That doesn't necessarily mean it's worthless. I use one a lot on tightly wooded fairways, because the "s" curve I get with it is unparalleled (at least out of what I've got, and what I've seen with other discs.)

I also get some awesome sorta "3/4's" throws from it (refering to the arm angle release.)

A lot of people hate on the Groove, but it definitely fills a particular niche in my bag. If it works for you, keep it regardless of what others say, if not, move on...

i have two champ grooves and they throw completely different.

rather throw my beat up pulse for distance/accuracy.

Champion Groove not so groovy?

Hey guys I want to know whats the deal with Grooves? I think about 85% of every Marketplace trade or sale the Groove is mentioned like everyone is getting rid of them quicker then the plague.
I have two I brought when I got started but I guess graduated to Boss's, Katana's, Wraiths and Nukes. Anyone have a logical explanation why nobody likes them or am I just reading to much into this. I kinda compare them myself to a Boss just maybe not quite as mean. What is your take on this Disc??

They vary wildly from disc to disc and most of them suck. In the event you find a good one, finding backups for it will be maddening.

The Groove, for me seemed to either fade hard and early or turn over and not come back. It seems that I could never get the thing to stay standing. So the Groove will make you pay if you aren't perfect. To me...pointless disc. Others do what its "supposed" to do.

The Groove sucks. It was supposed to fly how the Katanas do but was far too overstable for the average play and very nose sensitive.

I Have had 3 Grooves, and love each of them. I lost my first one, replaced it and got an ace with the 2nd, which I retired for the third. All three have seemed to work the exact same. I find the dynamics to be predictable AS LONG AS YOU HAVE THE SPEED RIGHT. In other words, on rounds where I am starting to grow tired, I'll throw with more arm then wrist snap, and the Groove responds with a hyser dive with a ton of backspin. If I throw it with the right amount of wrist snap, it will fly a beautiful S-curve with predictable high and low speed turning.

I can only guess that the people who hate this disc are not getting the right amount of wrist snap/tortional speed to get it to do what it is supposed to do.

Personally, I love it, and it's my primary driver on longer holes.

they are TRASH, each one has its own unique stability and in general all of them are super nose sensitive (more so than a Boss/Katana) i think by releasing the Katana Innova is kinda admitting failure on the Groove

I find the dynamics to be predictable AS LONG AS YOU HAVE THE SPEED RIGHT and the nose down.

If I throw it with the right amount of wrist snap, it will fly a beautiful S-curve with predictable high and low speed turning.

I can only guess that the people who hate this disc are not getting the right amount of wrist snap/tortional speed to get it to do what it is supposed to do.

This is my take on it as well. IMO it is truly an understable complement to the boss.

Also, the Katana is much more understable than either of these discs and is geared to more noodle arms. Innova said the Groove was that way just more marketing.

Last edited:
if you can throw a Groove to its potential, why would you not just throw a Boss?

Also, I can't find a single sponsored Innova player who has one in the bag.

I Have had 3 Grooves, and love each of them. I lost my first one, replaced it and got an ace with the 2nd, which I retired for the third. All three have seemed to work the exact same. I find the dynamics to be predictable AS LONG AS YOU HAVE THE SPEED RIGHT. In other words, on rounds where I am starting to grow tired, I'll throw with more arm then wrist snap, and the Groove responds with a hyser dive with a ton of backspin. If I throw it with the right amount of wrist snap, it will fly a beautiful S-curve with predictable high and low speed turning.

Personally, I love it, and it's my primary driver on longer holes.

This is my take on it as well. IMO it is truly an understable complement to the boss.

Also, the Katana is much more understable than either of these discs and is geared to more noodle arms. Innova said the Groove was that way just more marketing.

I got 5 new & lightly used for trade if either of you want more of them. I couldn't ever throw them consistently. Don't know why I bought so many of them.

It's the 6.
It kills me.
Boss is 13/5
Groove is 13/6

Groove should go farther. :doh:

But its stupid hard to throw it consistently. This is NOT a disc for beginners.
Newer players will have a much easier time throwing a Boss, which is much more forgiving, especially in regards to nose angle, than a Groove.
Thats why people give up on them.

I agree that it serves well as a less stable compliment to the Boss, downwind the Groove flies farther.
I also agree with throwing it nose down if you want it to fly right. For my forehand, its not just nose down, but mentally I'm saying " I'm gonna bury you six feet under mu fa "
It flexes out forever, then rises up gradually.

This is one of the hardest discs to master.
It's harder to learn to throw a Groove than a Flick, and a Flick is a whoore to learn, but for now it's that damn 6 that keeps it in my primary bag.
Friggin' six. :doh:

Oh, plus I carry a Star Monarch and have for a while,, use it regularily, so the whole " Lookin' for fun and ....." thing is not alien to me.

Latest posts