• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Innova] From hype to horror-DON'T POST A GROOVE THREAD UNTIL YOU READ THIS!

Do you hate the groove

• YES(Always)

Votes: 221 52.7%
  • NO(Never)

Votes: 138 32.9%
  • SOMETIMES(When it doesnt do what you want it to...but you still throw it)

Votes: 60 14.3%

• Total voters
i have a friend who swears by the mighty groove. another person i've played with gave it to his dog as his own disc

I don't get the Groove hate either. If that many people are saying it, there is probably something to it. But there is also more to inconsistency than the disc. It can be wind, OAT, all sorts of things other than the disc. So when someone says sometimes the disc is crazy stable and other times it turns and burns it makes me think it was other factors. Throw the groove with a headwind + OAT and of course it is going to roll. Throw it with a tailwind and hyzer and of course it is a meathook. But then to say the disc is terribly inconsistent wouldn't follow. Make sense?

katana's, groove's, vulcan's, even boss's...etc. are all garbage. get a destroyer in your bag if you need that "extra" distance, they make it all plastics so even a noodle arm can get distance with either a beat to sh!@#t pro destroyer or dx destroyer. on a side note I actually threw an ape yesterday, i must say, its def. the best out of all the other 600 speed discs. its flippy as all hell tho

alright, lots of not so quality information going on in here. The groove is bad for 2 main reasons:

1. No two grooves are the same. They mold up rather inconsistently, so if you get a good one/one you like (rare) it will be impossible to replace.

2. the margin of error the thrower has is very small. You have to get the perfect combination of speed, nose down, and angle, otherwise it will turn and not come back, or it will fade hard and early. most people just don't have the ability to hit that combo every time. Most of the most popular discs have greater margins of error, for a good reason

I think Frank D said: "Every groove is a unique snowflake of suck"

excuse my harshness, but 12 rounds in a couple months is still far, far into the "beginner" category. try practicing hundreds of throws in a field or play hundreds of rounds. play for at least a year or two. now you're no longer a beginner.

the groove is hated because it writes checks that its ass can't cash. with innova's highest ever speed and glide ratings, the end result is a gimmicky rim shape that just doesn't feel good to throw. certainly doesn't deserve to be the only glide rating 6 disc out there. get yourself away from these high speed drivers and don't make the same mistake that many of us did. get a lot of practice with a leopard and putter. move up to a teebird. keep the vulcan if you really like it but realize that even though it's understable, it will likely teach you bad form.

I am new. I've played about 12 rounds over the last couple months. I wouldnt say I'm a beginner any more. Sorry to be a noob, best way to learn is to ask right?

Unless you are a Natural, throwing 12 rounds still marks you as a beginner in terms of form....

Distance is not because of strength, it is all about form. If Don Knots had great form, he would out-drive Carl Weathers from Predator with bad form.

If you throw "slower" discs (discs with a lower speed rating, say below 7 for Innova) you will not need as much power (good form) to get them to fly properly. Completely ignoring distance drivers until you know how to throw these discs reliably will do nothing but help you in the long run.

Also something to keep in mind: most disc labels are meaningless. Today's midrange disc is yesterday's long range driver. (this is fact, not hyperbole) Don't think that just because it says midrange on it, you cannot use it as a driver. Many of us here on this site often drive from the tee with our putter (and have kicked the backside of many Groove throwers all around the course while doing it.)

Warp speed drivers often mask poor form, or require you to use bad form in order for it to fly "properly." Either way, it is bad news for your game. If you use a slower disc, you will have more control of where it goes, and they will give you better feedback if your form is bad.

Welcome to the addiction, and dump the Groove, toot-sweet.:thmbup:

Unless you are a Natural, throwing 12 rounds still marks you as a beginner in terms of form....

Distance is not because of strength, it is all about form. If Don Knots had great form, he would out-drive Carl Weathers from Predator with bad form.

Interesting choice going with Don Knots and Carl Weathers. Especially choosing Predator Carl over Rocky Carl.

I never really liked the groove. Felt funny in my hand and if it doesn't feel right there is really no way to get around it.

I don't get the Groove hate either. If that many people are saying it, there is probably something to it. But there is also more to inconsistency than the disc. It can be wind, OAT, all sorts of things other than the disc. So when someone says sometimes the disc is crazy stable and other times it turns and burns it makes me think it was other factors. Throw the groove with a headwind + OAT and of course it is going to roll. Throw it with a tailwind and hyzer and of course it is a meathook. But then to say the disc is terribly inconsistent wouldn't follow. Make sense?

Yes - this.

I understand that Grooves are also inconsistent from disc to disc, but Destroyers and other molds are the same way (although maybe not quite so much).

I suggested a Valkyrie because you can't get the typical noob to understand that high speed discs hurt them. If they were race car drivers, they'd feel the need to start in Sprint Cup instead of racing stock cars on dirt. You can't convince them otherwise, so... give it up, already. When they REALLY want to get better, they will ask how. The Valk is the world record holder for distance, so you can convince them that it's great, and it's much better for them than the 13 speed molds.

That said, the average noob will get more out a Valk than just about any other high speed disc. It will help them to score better, so they will be headed in the right direction. When they get close to playing well, they'll want to get over the barriers that they have constructed for themselves by insisting on throwing 13 speed discs when they don't have a clue what they're doing. It's a psychological thing. Like the teenager that knows everything, they'll have to learn the hard way... just try to talk them out of the 800 hp cars.

alright, lots of not so quality information going on in here. The groove is bad for 2 main reasons:

1. No two grooves are the same. They mold up rather inconsistently, so if you get a good one/one you like (rare) it will be impossible to replace.

2. the margin of error the thrower has is very small. You have to get the perfect combination of speed, nose down, and angle, otherwise it will turn and not come back, or it will fade hard and early. most people just don't have the ability to hit that combo every time. Most of the most popular discs have greater margins of error, for a good reason

I think Frank D said: "Every groove is a unique snowflake of suck"

This is by far the best answer to the Groove issue. I have owned 4 Grooves. The first one was a good disc. The other three made me severely dislike the Groove. I rarely throw 13 speed discs. They have their place, but it isn't off of every tee.

I am new. I've played about 12 rounds over the last couple months. I wouldnt say I'm a beginner any more. Sorry to be a noob, best way to learn is to ask right?

How are you mainly throwing? Forehand, or backhand?
Any idea how far you're throwing? How does the Vulcan act for you and whys it too light? 160s are often suggested for new players
Important question: do you actually want to improve? if not, still don't get a groove, but if yes, listen to everything in this post:

If you throw "slower" discs (discs with a lower speed rating, say below 7 for Innova) you will not need as much power (good form) to get them to fly properly. Completely ignoring distance drivers until you know how to throw these discs reliably will do nothing but help you in the long run.
Warp speed drivers often mask poor form, or require you to use bad form in order for it to fly "properly." Either way, it is bad news for your game. If you use a slower disc, you will have more control of where it goes, and they will give you better feedback if your form is bad.

My suggestions: get a Buzzz or Comet - great discs for anyone. If you really want a driver, get a Leopard.

Groove comments: I think the actual wing-groove makes it extremely nose sensitive, to the point where its one of the least forgiving discs I've ever seen. I enjoy the stability on a couple I had, and I haven't found the mold significantly more inconsistent than other discs if you pay attention to the discs, and specifically plastic variety; many grooves seem to have been molded during transitions of champ blends leading to many differences in PLH, domeyness, etc.

katana's, groove's, vulcan's, even boss's...etc. are all garbage. get a destroyer in your bag if you need that "extra" distance, they make it all plastics so even a noodle arm can get distance with either a beat to sh!@#t pro destroyer or dx destroyer. on a side note I actually threw an ape yesterday, i must say, its def. the best out of all the other 600 speed discs. its flippy as all hell tho

An Ape is supposed to be a more overstable Boss, and a newbie shouldn't throw Destroyers if they plan on trying to be good at this game.

This is horrible advice.

An Ape is supposed to be a more overstable Boss, and a newbie shouldn't throw Destroyers if they plan on trying to be good at this game.

This is horrible advice.

I wasnt necessarily giving the original poster advice. i was just chiming in on other high speed drivers. i would say scrap the wraith, vulcan, and the groove. im also not on board with noobs shouldn't throw drivers either, id say grab yourself a valk, leopard or teebird and let 'er rip!

as for the apes, they are not as stable as they are cracked up to be, at least the batch of 25 first run's that my club got

the problem is that everybody just has bad form when throwing the groove.... the groove needs a special kind of throw to make it work.

first you'll need some samba music to set the mood, then get a nice little bounce in your step. once you got that feeling going go ahead and unleash your best dance step and then BAM... throw the groove.

Last edited:

Latest posts