• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

From Pittsburgh to St. Louis to Kansas City

BigAl724

Par Member
Diamond level trusted reviewer
At the end of the month, I will be driving from Pittsburgh to Kansas City, stopping and staying near St. Louis for the night. What are the must plays in these cities?

I will probably only have time for one course in St. Louis. Was thinking of either Sioux Passage or Logan University. Any must plays over these courses? Are there any courses that I shouldn't play alone at dusk? Because that is probably the time I will be playing.

As far as Kansas City, I will have time to play 4-5 courses. I have played Swope and Waterworks. I will definitely play Waterworks again and am thinking about hitting up the courses at Rosedale and Blue Valley. Are there any other courses that are worth playing over these courses? Any courses I should avoid play by myself due to the neighborhood? It seems that people often describe many of the Kansas City courses as being in a bad neighborhood. To put things in perspective, I felt completely comfortable driving through the neighborhood to Swope.

Any other must plays along I-70 that I shouldn't miss?

Thanks!

You should be good with either SP or Logan at dusk. SP is a little off the main interstate. Logan is 2 mi off 64. A quicker stop off of 70/64 is Quail Ridge, a fun shorter course.

If you're traveling down I-70 from STL to KC, Marshall is just 10 minutes off the highway and only an hour from KC. It's about half way between Columbia and KC. There are 3 courses there, all 3 are great courses. If you decide to stop here I can give you a good break down of the holes. I've been playing here for years and would welcome someone new to see what they think of our courses. I could also come out and join you depending on the time or if you even had time for someone to join. The original course has been here almost 10 years. The other 2 are fairly new, just added a few years ago. We are lacking signage so it may take longer without a local or some guidance. Let me know.

Alright so i looked on google maps and found a nice little route for you to take.

Start in Columbus- Play the Hambrick

Head to dayton- play handyman ace hardware. start in shorts then play longs. you will enjoy the technical aspects of the course. also hit up hazy shade when your there. biggest disc golf store around. While you are at hazy shade head to the Fun but more simple course of Belmont. Nice older park that gives you a great variety of lines to play from.

Head to Cincinnati- my home town. there are a ton of great courses to play here that all vary from each other. Start with Mt. Airy, great design and great course. An amazing pro shop is located here as well. The natti pro shop is the best in Cincinnati. Head to Lincoln Ridge/ Banklick, great course here a big course with 24 holes. Then head to the Monster, Idlewild. This is a treat for all disc golfers to come to cincinnati. I say no more because you have to come and play this course. One more course you might want to look at is a tight technical course called Osage Grove. This course is still new and needs work but has great potential and can be one of the best in Cincinnati.

Head to Louisville- They have 3 courses that are rated over a 4.0 on DGCourse review. I would recommend Coyote Trace, Charlie Vettener park, Severin Lang disc golf course. Those all seem like great courses but me in general have not played any of them. My buddy did play Coyote Trace and really liked it.

This is the route i would take if i were you. This gives you the maximum amount of fun courses on your way. Also the guys in Cincinnati if you hit up the facebook page up we will gladly show the courses off.

kc

Marshall is a great rec.

If you're a fan of Tyler state you will enjoy rosedale down under. Up top is just OK.

Cliff drive, ie Kessler, should be on your short list

Birdland is a new track south of town. Built on an old golf course. Great variety.

Smithville is a three course complex north of town. Many lakeside holes. The gold course back 9 is outstanding.

If you have the time there is a hidden gem west of KC. Longview: http://www.dgcoursereview.com/course.php?id=6113 amazing layout. Only miss is they did not get it close enough to the lake for views.

Feel free to PM me your digits. I can get you in the loop with a group of active players. We seem to always have someone going out. We do enjoy the fortune we have being in a very active disc golf community with plenty of land to go around.

KC cont..

Just saw you're playing at dusk. If you are working downtown you will be closest to cliff, bv, ww, (edit, add rosey), swope. Some of the others I mentioned will be difficult to get to in time.

Bv, I would not be there after dark. Not real comfy there unless in a group. Odd old dude hook up park. Just weird.

Cliff is similar to swope.

Last edited:
Thanks all of you for the helpful information. Still debating whether I want to take I-70 all the way there or split the trip up by taking 71 and 64 half of the way there. On this trip last year, I did stop to play Idlewild, Seviren lang, and Lincoln ridge so I don't know if I want to go out of the way to play them again when I can play some new courses. HAH is close enough to me that I will probably hit it up on a shorter disc golf trip to Columbus.

If I stay on 70 I will try to play both courses at Sioux Passage courses before it gets dark. If I only have time for one course, which one should I play?

Then that'll give me a full afternoon/evening in KC. I'll probably play Blue Valley first to get that out of the way due to aforementioned reasons, then hit up waterworks and the courses at rosedale. And that's just the way there :D

Thanks everyone

Play SP over Briscoe Woods. Bring a map and remember that the back nine is about 1/4 mile away from the front 9

Just played Logan....wasn't super impressed. Some good holes, but bad design from the standpoint that the best elevation is reserved solely for throwing UP, and not DOWN. Seemed like a lot of long walks, too.

Centralia and Foundation Park, on the other hand, is pure gold and definitely worth a little bit out of your way to hit.

Crystal City is a very fun course if you're available during it's open times, but nothing spectacular.

I'm not sure how much time you'll have or if you'll be traveling down I-70 between Columbia and KC. But our local club has just added new signage to the Marshall courses that were already rated over 4 on DG Course review. If you do play alone you will have no problem navigating now, but I would be glad to join you depending on the time. One course is a little shorter than the other. The longer one is definitely a challenge. We would definitely welcome an out of town player with some experience to play one or both of these amazing courses. If you are interested let me know a round about time. We would be glad to have you. This is a great little town just 10 minutes off I-70 and an hour from KC. I haven't played a lot of courses, but of the ones I've played around the Columbia/KC area the only course that even come close to these is Waterworks. These courses are definitely worth a look.

Last edited:
I'm not sure how much time you'll have or if you'll be traveling down I-70 between Columbia and KC. But our local club has just added new signage to the Marshall courses that were already rated over 4 on DG Course review. If you do play alone you will have no problem navigating now, but I would be glad to join you depending on the time. One course is a little shorter than the other. The longer one is definitely a challenge. We would definitely welcome an out of town player with some experience to play one or both of these amazing courses. If you are interested let me know a round about time. We would be glad to have you. This is a great little town just 10 minutes off I-70 and an hour from KC. I haven't played a lot of courses, but of the ones I've played around the Columbia/KC area the only course that even come close to these is Waterworks. These courses are definitely worth a look.

Just played Logan....wasn't super impressed. Some good holes, but bad design from the standpoint that the best elevation is reserved solely for throwing UP, and not DOWN. Seemed like a lot of long walks, too.

Centralia and Foundation Park, on the other hand, is pure gold and definitely worth a little bit out of your way to hit.

Crystal City is a very fun course if you're available during it's open times, but nothing spectacular.

Centralia is under rated (believe it or not! :)).

I would respectfully disagree with Juke on Logan (we played it the same weekend; during the same event; and even against each other during match play! :)...which just goes to show you how peeps can have different opinions about a course...).

Logan is perhaps the best course in the St. Louis area, and there are quite a number of fairly top notch courses it's competing against. St. Louis area does a nice job of providing a number of different styles for layouts. Logan may end up being your cup of tea; or not...you can find just about anything you want in St. Louis, if you do some research as to what you're after.

I would say Logan is a course where a guide may be valuable. There is water in play at some spots you may not be expecting it; for one thing. I would suggest bringing a throw away disc or two, if you go there; as I saw quite a number lost during the two rounds I played recently. (I lost a couple. :()

Yeah Logan's alright, I'm just still really pissed we had to throw UP that huge hill twice (while sharing a fairway, even!) and didn't get to bomb off it even once.

Damn you St. Louis, don't you realize how flat it is in other places of the country!!??!! :mad: :|

I would agree that Logan is the best course I've played in the greater St. Louis area. It's a beast.

Dissent amongst the Diamond TRs! :D

Hell, I'd rather play John L's home 9er over and over than go back to Logan. :shrugsmiley:

Not saying Logan is bad. Not at all. Easily a solid 4-disc course...it just sucks to have a big bomber hill and not use it for that. :shrugagainsmiley:

Tallpaul and Jukeshoe, totally agree with you guys about Foundation Park. I went out of my way to play it on this same trip last year and it was definitely worth it. Trying to balance playing new courses on this trip with playing some of the beasts that I hit up last year.

Latest posts