• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

funny article on disc golf hooliganism...

djext1

Par Member
Found this write up on disc golf in my google news alerts...Thought it was pretty funny, thought I'd share :)

http://www.nwherald.com/columnists/columns/2009/08/20/r_hkbf15fot0wrifyzjv6jua/index.xml

Krug: 
Disc golf: Society's new downfall

If a tree falls in the woods and nobody is around to hear it, does it make a sound?

You betcha, partner. And that fallen tree probably has something to do with one of those maniacal tree-killing disc golfers.

You know the kind. They wander around, whipping their bark-biting discs of death, whizzing them wildly past the whippoorwills and through the weeping willows.

When their discs go off the "fairway," the disc-wielders have the audacity to retrieve them. And that necessitates sporadically plunging an arm into the thicket and fishing around for the errant toss. Sounds like breaking and entering, if you really strain your eardrums.

But the McHenry City Council proved Monday night at its monthly meeting that it wasn't going to play host to these vandals and their evil ways – at least not right away. Nope, they tabled the idea of building a disc golf course at Cold Springs Park, a notion brought forward by the local Kiwanis Club and the radical disc golfing element.

Thank goodness for the folks who live in the Park Ridge Estates subdivision, who stood up and voiced their objection to this potential savagery of a slice of their precious local resources.

They even brought in examples of a disc, what bourgeoisie might try to tell you is just a FrisbeeSRTm, for the city leaders to touch. And in doing so, each was offered a tactile opportunity to gauge how much potential damage these evildoers might achieve if left to their own, disc-shaped devices.

Neighbors complained that the game wasn't "passive." There also were concerns that the game would be a magnet for local toughs, thugs and the incompetent who simply can't throw a disc in a straight line.

In full disclosure, I don't bathe in patchouli oil, download sitar music from iTunes or wear a multicolored hat knitted by someone in Peru. So perhaps I am not qualified to speak specifically to the people I immediately would connect with disc golf aficionados. Suffice to say, I am not bona fide.

However, I pressed ahead and sought out incidents on the Google machine and the Internets in which disc golfers have caused a ruckus.

I searched "disc golf+violence." That turned up instances where disc golf clubs around the country had held fundraisers for victims of violence. There was a notation of a disc golfer using a metal disc in game play, but I suspect someone in his foursome eventually pointed out that he was, in fact, slinging a discus or the hub cap from a '76 Chrysler New Yorker and not a disc.

I searched "disc golf+damage" and found a few articles that indicate similar fears of damage to flora and fauna by residents who opposed the construction of a course. But in my review, I didn't find any stories about actual damage to trees. In fact, most of the stories about damage that I came across were about discs being damaged by trees. Can't wait for the disc lobby to write its Letter to the Editor.

I searched "disc golf+hooligans" and, surprisingly, found 5,900 results. None of them was helpful, but it appears that soccer hooligans perhaps take a break from burning down stadiums to play disc golf. Perhaps this is part of nature's balance. Quick, someone call a sociologist.

I found no legitimate reason to give a disc golf course the thumbs down.

Then again, maybe this isn't a case against disc golf and is merely a scenario in which neighbors don't want people walking through a public park that backs up to their homes.

Nah, it couldn't be that simple.

• • •

• Chris Krug is executive editor of the Northwest Herald. Contact Chris by calling 815-459-4122, or via e-mail at [email protected]. Keep up with Chris' rants, raves and insights by following him at Twitter.com/chriskrug.

Here's another article in the same paper, dated August 12th, regarding the successful installation of another local course.

Latest posts