• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Game Changer on Form Analysis - GolfSense

tampabay

Double Eagle Member
Golf Sense

If this would either A) work for discgolf B) have a version for disc golf - It would be a game changer. This would be so incredibly helpful.

For those who don't want to click on the link, it's a sensor that monitors your motion and creates a 3D-representation. It's used for a traditional golf swing but if this would work for disc golf it would allow you to attach the sensor to your hand and it would generate wireframes of your throwing mechanics.

Food for thought.

Golf Sense

If this would either A) work for discgolf B) have a version for disc golf - It would be a game changer. This would be so incredibly helpful.

For those who don't want to click on the link, it's a sensor that monitors your motion and creates a 3D-representation. It's used for a traditional golf swing but if this would work for disc golf it would allow you to attach the sensor to your hand and it would generate wireframes of your throwing mechanics.

Food for thought.

Awesome! I think the you could use the sensor for DG, you'd just have to develop the software to compare it to good throwing mechanics.
You could take the sensor(s), put it on some pros or others with ideal mechanics, save the data, normalize it and then put it in the software as the baseline. You'd have to break the throw in to different sections and then the program could figure the deviation at each part between an individual's motion and that of the ideal one.

Somehow I want to think there is no such thing as a "totally ideal" throw in DG. Maybe an ideal release angle, speed, spin, but not perfect form.

Look at some of our best throwers and there is a lot of variation.

bad example: Catrina Ulibarri's pullback vs. Anyone.

It looks kinda neat, but it would be a bit crude for disc golf and probably for ball golf as well.

Every great local pro or top player I see has a unique style. Hard to pinpoint but they all achieve the same goal.

It looks kinda neat, but it would be a bit crude for disc golf and probably for ball golf as well.

I agree. But the direction of the technology is exciting.

Every great local pro or top player I see has a unique style. Hard to pinpoint but they all achieve the same goal.

This is true, but that doesn't mean you can't pull out flaws. Individual form is okay, and encouraged, but it can help you see weaknesses in your own style.

You would need many more sensors to pick up the movement of your body. As it stands, the app appears to only be detecting the pendulum (club). I didn't watch with sound on and skipped through a bit, but it looked like the model swinging the club was generic and didn't show any variation.

Roughly translated to DG, you would get feedback on your arm only. While important, there are many more factors that affect your throw.

Somehow I want to think there is no such thing as a "totally ideal" throw in DG. Maybe an ideal release angle, speed, spin, but not perfect form.

Look at some of our best throwers and there is a lot of variation.

bad example: Catrina Ulibarri's pullback vs. Anyone.

Focus in what they have in common instead of the differences. They all rotate on the heel, they all pull the disc close to the chest, they all weigth shift etc etc.

Please dont disturb the people who want to learn more about technique with your "everybody is a different flower under the sun" hippie talk.

Didn't Feldbeard do a whole bunch of this stuff at Oregon? I thought him, AJ, and a bunch of other top throwers did something similar.

Didn't Feldbeard do a whole bunch of this stuff at Oregon? I thought him, AJ, and a bunch of other top throwers did something similar.
What they did is a bit more like what they do in the sport science lab with sensors on every joint.

There are things that are the same, though pulling through the chest and heel pivot don't seem to be two of them...put a sensor on the toe to see.

I think the real good use of this would be just a few points, like wrist, elbow, shoulder, hip to see how synched they are with the timing.

I wonder, though, how it would work, since for ex. a golf swing is, er, swung in a fixed spot, but we do walk/run ups?

There are things that are the same, though pulling through the chest and heel pivot don't seem to be two of them...put a sensor on the toe to see.

I think the real good use of this would be just a few points, like wrist, elbow, shoulder, hip to see how synched they are with the timing.

I wonder, though, how it would work, since for ex. a golf swing is, er, swung in a fixed spot, but we do walk/run ups?

classic, I put my response up w/out looking at the link. So, you swing your phone? I was thinking, reading the post, that this was something else.

Might be neat, could help.

Latest posts