• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Gap between disc speeds

Interesting stuff to think about for sure!
These are for more controlled throws, I don't have a chance to really try Max D too often on courses around here.

Envy- 300'
Axis- 330'
Crave- 340'
Volt- 350'
Tesla- 370'
Destroyer- 380'

Been a while and I think this thread is cool. I haven't been playing much so my throw is very questionable in quality now as I barely play. Currently about these with little accuracy or consistency

PA1- 250
Roc- 275
Firebird- 320
Shryke- 350

My longest throw ever was about 1,400 feet with an Underworld, aided of course by about 400 feet of downhill elevation change. The next throw was an Insanity. It went about 1,300 feet. So, at least, we know that those two are pretty similar.

This thread makes me feel better about myself vs watching all the GBO coverage.

I'd really like to figure out the proper weight shift and quit rounding on my backhand, as well as learn how to get height while still keeping the nose down.

Wizard 225
Beast 275
Those are reliable distances, can get a little more on a good rip. Ah, the joys of having the least distance, but the longest "career" of any local.

Man, I'm glad I found this thread! I've experienced very small distance gaps between my discs, and I thought that meant I needed to work more on form to gain distance. Not that I don't need to work more, but it's nice to know this experience shouldn't be used an indicator of skill, since it seems like a natural occurence.

This got me thinking. Do pros have a similar experience?

This got me thinking. Do pros have a similar experience?

Well Lizotte threw his putter a solid 470' in a recent tournament...I bet that's farther than he can FH any high speed driver and I wonder how far he can BH his mids.

I think out to near 400' a top pro can throw a putter/mid/fairway pretty well, it's more about flight characteristics/line. I also seem to hear lots of pro's say that they can get some fairways or 9/10 control drivers out near as far as their distance drivers. I just bet on the course they trust the added stability of the high speed drivers to fight out of the flight and also resist a bit more wind.

I have a bit of a different problem. I can throw my putters 330' reliably but my mids go about that same distance. My drivers go up to about 500', golf d. I cannot figure out why the huge gap is there. Logically, I should be getting ~50' or so more with my mids. They feel great in my hand but just can't get them out there. (BTW, I use MD4s, Buzzzes, and Comets.)

Thoughts?

Distance Gaps

Firefly/Aviarx3: 200' and under
Caiman/Roc3- 200-275
Firebird:275 and under
Eagle/Leo3:275-325
CD2/Roadrunner-325-375
Destroyer:375-425 max

Focus: 265
Comet: 300
Wasp: 320
Stalker: 350
Undertaker: 360
Kong/Crank: 375

I've gotten the Focus to almost 300, and a Comet over 350, but not very consistently. I know I can throw 400 (done so with a Shryke, PFN DS, Trespass, Tern and possibly a CD3) with distance drivers but something isn't right with my release right now.

Putter (Rattler): I don't use it on throws longer than 150 and only recently started even throwing it at all (instead of exclusive to putts)
Putter (Zone): I guess it's technically a putter, though like the Sol (and now the rattler too), I use it only for approaches, I can get this reliably in the 220-240 range

Distance (Thrasher, Nuke): 350

So my DD-Putter delta is about 200 feet

(and yes, I know the nuke is really not tuned to my arm speed if I'm only getting 350 out of it), but I like having an OS (to me) driver when the situation dictates)

Last edited:
I agree with the ~100' difference between putters and drivers. For most this seems accurate. Though, a lot of variables go into this. Simon, for example, when he throws putters showcases this. He gets them high in the air and lets them glide back down. Hole 18 at WACO is a good example of this. You have a slight downhill angle and he still gave the disc a lot of height.

I'm sure comfort with each disc comes into play. I, for one rarely can hit tall putters to 300' but 280' is attainable. (Local course has a 290' and I am usually in circle) Mids are up to 325' where Teebirds I can hit 350'+ all day like nobody's business. But a Teebird is my most thrown disc. Drivers, I can hit 400 with Thunderbirds and have hit ~512' with a Beast-X a number of times. (UDisc measures) Destroyers/Kongs are roughly 430' if I'm being honest and having a good day.

What I think is that there is a combination on what a disc can do with the appropriate throw vs. what you're comfortable throwing. I'll never toss a putter 300'+ because I'm not comfortable holding them to throw. 1.7 - 2.0 rim size is my comfort zone and I can throw those the farthest. Though, I don't have any stable speed 10 drivers to see how much farther I can get those than Surges (park a 425' hole). If I can.

Just saying. Some of you have to be lying. Like over half of you are throwing over 400 feet.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

I have a number o people that i play with that says they can throw 400-450. .. but i never seen them do it ;)

I once saw one of them overthrow a 410 hole, but that was downhill.

I´m 47y and i can throw max 330. . but i am doing just fine against the young +400 throwers. . better to throw 300f and land safe than throwing 450 in to the woods.

I throw putters up to 200 . . mids 250. . .fairway . . 280 and drivers 300-330

Well. 18 of you stated that you throw 400 or over. 21 under 400'.

Somehow this is alarming. Almost half of you throw over 400'

If you go to a 100m track and stand on the starting line. . .thats quite far to the finish line
I really dont think most amateur discgolfer throws over 100 feet past the finish line on a 100m track

If you go to a 100m track and stand on the starting line. . .thats quite far to the finish line
I really dont think most amateur discgolfer throws over 100 feet past the finish line on a 100m track
Exactly

I use football fields; they're flat, goal line to goal line is 300 feet, with 30 foot increments nicely lined for you. Then add the end zones for another 30 feet each. Starting on one goal line, I can only get into the other endzone with a handful of discs: thrasher, heat, nuke SS, and z-lite nuke. Of those, the heat barely makes it across the goal line, but I have gotten the thrasher to the back of the endzone several times, so I think I top out at 350 +/- 10. UDisc gps generally agrees; my best recorded throw with a thrasher is 352.