• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Gary The Boomerang Disc Golfer

"Boomerangs Are Coming Back!" is a one hour enthusiastic,
motivational, educational, inspirational program that discusses the
history, science, craft, hobby, sport, art, & competition of boomerangs.

The topic covers many of the proficiency objectives, and advocates a drug-free, stay in school, believe in yourself, follow your dreams, positive attitude. What goes around comes around, just like a boomerang.
See this outstanding performance that will
surely have the audience "hooked" on boomerangs and "hooked" on life

http://www.broadbentboomerangs.com/index.html

How does one compete at throwing frisbees?

well. we have a sport designed around the frisbee. actually 3.

what is the objective of competitive boomeranging. that was my question.

is it.... how many consecutive throws to yourself? what kind of fancy catches you do when you throw it to yourself? are there judges? how do you keep score? how does one become ranked in boomeranging?

all valid and serious questions from a boomeranging noob.

My friend and I threw boomerangs before we ever played disc golf. It's fun if your into being outside and throwing things with snap. We wore a "catching glove". I don't know if they really exist, but it doesn't stop your hand from getting cut up and bruised. We made up a game that played to 21. Different ways to score points, we made up tricks, and was full contact. So the rubgy of boomerangs I guess. When I throw a disc now and a branch gets me in the eye, I have flashbacks of having my head taking off by a boomerang. I loved going to work and explaining giant bruises on my face.

Just like disc golf if someone was to take it up they should start with beginner friendly rangs. The Aspen, Triblader, and Rainier would be my suggestions. Colorado Boomerangs also make something in glow (and are my prefer vendor from experience). They make different rangs that go different distances. Long flights and quick catch. Unlike disc golf, they make right and left handed rangs. And ironically we have a bag filled with boomerangs as well.

Sorry for the serious boomerang post. I got excited just like when someone brings up disc golf.

My friend and I threw boomerangs before we ever played disc golf. It's fun if your into being outside and throwing things with snap. We wore a "catching glove". I don't know if they really exist, but it doesn't stop your hand from getting cut up and bruised. We made up a game that played to 21. Different ways to score points, we made up tricks, and was full contact. So the rubgy of boomerangs I guess. When I throw a disc now and a branch gets me in the eye, I have flashbacks of having my head taking off by a boomerang. I loved going to work and explaining giant bruises on my face.

Just like disc golf if someone was to take it up they should start with beginner friendly rangs. The Aspen, Triblader, and Rainier would be my suggestions. Colorado Boomerangs also make something in glow (and are my prefer vendor from experience). They make different rangs that go different distances. Long flights and quick catch. Unlike disc golf, they make right and left handed rangs. And ironically we have a bag filled with boomerangs as well.

Sorry for the serious boomerang post. I got excited just like when someone brings up disc golf.

so then maybe you can answer my question.

what does competitive boomeranging entail?

what does the #1 ranked boomeranger do to earn that title?

Love is like a boomerang. If you throw it, it comes back to you...and possibly breaks your fingers when you try to catch it.

The-Feral-Kid.jpg

well. we have a sport designed around the frisbee. actually 3.

what is the objective of competitive boomeranging. that was my question.

is it.... how many consecutive throws to yourself? what kind of fancy catches you do when you throw it to yourself? are there judges? how do you keep score? how does one become ranked in boomeranging?

all valid and serious questions from a boomeranging noob.

The USBA (United States Boomerang Association) has some of that info on it's main site.

There's more stuff but here's what we talked about doing as the Boomerangotangs.
http://www.usba.org/Rules/index.html

Awesome information!

so then maybe you can answer my question.
what does competitive boomeranging entail?
what does the #1 ranked boomeranger do to earn that title?

We threw a lot in the early 2000s. I never got really involved in the details. I also know some changes have been made over the last couple years. As a ratings standpoint, no idea. I know there are all kinds of different individual and team things you can compete in. There different tournament in US thoughout the year on the usba site. There is also a World Cup that I believe is usually on the Australian Association site. I know you can try to qualify for the US team this year in Dallas in November. Found a quick list of "events" and winners from 2012 National Championships.

Overall: Richard Bower
Intermediate: Rick Saidenberg
Aussie Round: Richard Bower
Accuracy: Will Gix
MTA: Betsylew Miale-Gix
Trick Catch: Daniel Bower
Fast Catch: Richard Bower
Endurance: Richard Bower, Daniel Bower (Tie)
Craftsmanship: Kenny Barr
Decoration: Ron Rupert
Natural Elbow: David Hirsch
Throw Stick: David Hirsch
Crowd Favorite Boomerang: David Fantone, Kenny Barr, David Hirsch (Tie)

Never thought about being the best boomerang thrower in the world so never looked into it. If you can find contact info for Richard Bower he'd be a good person to ask for details from. He's the Ken Climo of boomerangs (or maybe the Nikko).

I used to throw boomerangs a lot---just casually. This past week I met up with Kelly Leggette (Flyboy), who used to compete and gave me quite an education on them---history, models, and competitions. Until that moment, I was the best boomeranger I had ever known. The only one, too.

One of our local club members, the late Bud Pell, whom we posthumously named our newest course after, The Bud Pell at Ross Farm course, was a boomerang enthusiast that travelled around the US to different boomerang "conventions" or whatever they were called. The guy was a tireless volunteer, and was an anchor of the local club and DG scene.

Just wanted to mention him, as he is much missed around here. He passed away 2 days after helping at one of our club work parties, at the age of 72.

Had a boomerang once as a kid. It was pretty stable.

Then I threw it just wrong, went like 200', climbing the whole while, to get stuck in the top of a mature sycamore tree. That ended that.

Red Whittenton from Pittsburg is a great golfer and held the world record for boomerrand maximum time aloft almost 2 minutes. I won a signed rang at a tourney for a CTP anx fhrew it a lot. Lots of fun

Latest posts