• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Gateway Kilimanjaro

While I don't know that I'd love it on my back, it looks like a super solid option to strap onto my golf cart...

To play devils advocate about the water holders location, the one disadvantage of them being close to your body in the traditional location is the tendency to bang your elbows on them when putting the bag on and off. If these carry the weight without pulling on your shoulders or add stress to the pockets they may be a good thing.

That was one of the few gripes I had with the UPD Rebel, but it's never been an issue with my Grip.
So to a point, I do agree with you.

So I have gotten a good amount of use out of my pack and have some further thoughts. Nothing aesthetically has really changed so this will be devoid of any images.

1) I really like how high the discs are stored. It may only be an 8 inch difference, but over the course of 18 or more holes that makes a big difference. It also means the bulk of the weight in the bag is carried high, which adds to comfort.
2) If feels smaller on my back than it is. My worry about all disc bags is a wide feeling, this is how Grip backs feel. This bag hasn't really ever had that issue.
3)I fit about 40 discs in it the other day as I was taking it to the field for driver practice, that was pretty awesome.
4) A little more questioning of gateway and I was told that the bag was "Made of 1200x1200 imperial denier polyester w/urethane backing". It sure seems that way.
5) I really like the size of the side pockets and the soft organizers provided. It is nice to have two as often I will be carrying more than one thing I don't want scratched and I don't really want to put them in the same pouch.
6) On that note I do wish there was a tad more organization. I still have found it awkward to use the scorecard pouch and typically leave it tucked. I have some things like emergency cash, business cards, some first aid supplies stored there. I do wish there were some external pockets for thinks like a pencil as well as some dividers in one of the side pockets to stash things like my pocket knife, granola bars etc. and not have them floating in the bottom of the very deep pockets.
7) The drink holders location doesn't bother me as much as I thought it would, albeit I am not carrying a summertime load of water. I do wish there was velcro, or even better a cinch strap (velcro that far down on the bag may get gummed up with grass seeds, pollen and debris, especially in spring) to tuck the bottle holders away when they were not in use. They do roll up quite nicely, so I would imagine that would not be a difficult addition.
8) I love having the sternum strap. I know many people don't appreciate them, but it helps keep the bag centered and secure when you are scrambling up a muddy leaf covered hill in a drizzle.
9)Speaking of said drizzle. While this bag does not come equipped with a rain fly the interior items stayed dry for about the 30 minutes I was in the mist/drizzle.
10) I like the handle location. It stays completely out of the way and has the added bonus of opening up the straps a bit when I lift it. Making the bag a piece of cake to get back on.
11) I personally don't use the mesh pockets a lot, other than for stashing a mini quickly or trash. I would used them more if they weren't netting I think. Perhaps bunched nylon with an elastic top, or neoprene? Then I would use them a bit more for the storage I sought earlier in this post. Maybe in future ones leave one an open elastic top and turn the other into a small zippered pocket. That would solve a lot of organizational woes that I have personally.

Excited to receive mine on Monday after reading your thoughts, geo_08.

Received mine today, but having a hard time figuring out how to install the internal frame. The two sides just don't spread apart far enough to get the tubing in. I can get one in, but not the other. How did other people do it?

Received mine today, but having a hard time figuring out how to install the internal frame. The two sides just don't spread apart far enough to get the tubing in. I can get one in, but not the other. How did other people do it?

I finally got mine in, but it took a ridiculous amount of effort. The side plates are all gouged and creased. I even tried spreader clamps but was afraid I'd tear the bag. Turns out the tubing they sent me is too long, so they are sending a replacement frame. So if you are having trouble, send them a message on FB. After I sent pics they saw that something wasn't right.

To those of you installing your frame. Make sure that the you put it in with the "shorter" side down. The rails are centered in the side plates. The discs sit better and you can access the top pouch easier if you make sure short side is down.

As far as getting it in. It is not easy, I will give you that. I put both sides in first, then the rails, and it took some muscle when I switched my around. Gateway did initially for me since I picked it up in store.

I finally got mine in, but it took a ridiculous amount of effort. The side plates are all gouged and creased. I even tried spreader clamps but was afraid I'd tear the bag. Turns out the tubing they sent me is too long, so they are sending a replacement frame. So if you are having trouble, send them a message on FB. After I sent pics they saw that something wasn't right.

Since they are sending you a replacement frame, I would play with a hack saw and see if you can get the rails long enough so that they stay in, but short enough that they go in somewhat easily. Then report back your lengths.

Yeah, I had a crazy difficult time installing the PVC. I ended up removing one of the screw caps, so one of the pipes just fits in the hole in the cardboard. It will dislodge eventually but it is working well for now. I will use a band saw on the PVC to cut it down if I need to.

Now that the frame is in, I have to say I'm pretty impressed with the bag. It does hold a crazy amount of stuff - I kept stuffing discs in until I ran out of discs! The top part of the frame holds about the same as my old bag, the Gateway Backpack - about 16 - two putters, 5 midrange, 9 drivers. The lower compartment held another 12-13 discs - mostly putters and drivers. The mesh pockets on either side will hold a putter each, two each if you don't mind them being snug. The big pockets easily hold discs - four putters fit easily in the bottom of each of those pockets, and you could stack more discs on top if you wanted. I think you could definitely fit 50 discs in this bag - as long as you didn't carry much else.

Most people I know don't carry that many discs, but it gives you an idea of what this thing can carry. I stuffed my bulky fleece lined huk lab hoodie in the bottom - fit easily. In the winter those big pockets will hold my gloves and hat nicely. The mesh pockets can hold lots of towels for those rainy rounds. Oh and yes, the drink holders fit a nalgene perfectly.

So far I have only one major criticism - the frame is too hard to install. Other than that everything else is pretty minor.
My cons:
-The frame is very difficult to install
-Considering how much weight it could potentially carry, the straps should be wider
-The handle across the top of the straps doesn't seem to have much padding - minor though
-I don't love where the bottle holders are - you can kinda feel them wiggle as you walk. I get why they put them where they did, but it isn't perfect.

This is easily the best bag Gateway has ever put out, and a huge improvement over my old Gateway Backpack. I think it competes nicely with the other bags out there - I owned a Grip for a while and it was a very nice bag. This is also a very nice bag, but they are very different. Which is a good thing.

Another thing I really like about this bag is that with the discs on top, everything is that much closer. Reminds me of my old Revolution backpack, but this is a much better design.

According to gateway guys I spoke with the bottle holders were out there so they don't pull on the zipper pockets and so the bag fits a bit better.

I've been trying to decide if I thought the bag needed wider straps myself. As a skinny guy they couldn't be too much wider unless they were sculpted, so I think I am pretty happy. A 6'2" 225, all shoulders friend of mine voiced the same thing you did or the straps. So that is going to be pretty personal I have a feeling.

Finally got mine in.
Just for fun I wanted to see how many disc's it would fit. I was able to get 28 putters and 10 mids.
Pictures are a more reasonable amount
16 drivers main compartment
7 mids 2 putters bottom pocket
2 putters in the putter pocket
1 lat 64 bite in the outside mesh pocket
3f1b5e00ed822c8922c3ecf8d8ef3dd7.jpg

With everything out
acf08d45216f7dc10c1d7073d95e7fa8.jpg

Yep love my new bag ,can't find anything I don't like about it except remembering were I stowed everything ha, sooo much room!

How does storing discs in the bottom or the sides work? I'd like to keep discs in the bottom but they keep falling out. Is there a way to get them to stay in there?

I only store discs I rarely use in the bottom and therefore it stays zipped, so I haven't had too much of an issue with any discs falling out.

As far as the mesh on the sides, I don't use it for a disc, but haven't had any problems. And the side pockets are deep enough even unzipped a disc wouldn't fall out unless the bag ended up inverted.