• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Gateway] Gateway + Low Profile

Moonshine

Double Eagle Member
Quick question on putters and profile.

I've been using the TM2 Pures and for the most part I am enjoying them. I really like the shallow rim and the straight-ish flight on putts. But, I am hesitant to fully commit because Latitude's base plastic situation is up in the air as of right now. I don't want to buy a stack of TM2's, assuming I still could, only to have the plastic disappear from the market.

So, what would be a suitable Gateway alternative? I like that their discs come in a variety of plastics, they are cheap and readily available. I've tried a Wizard, but I did not like how deep the rim was. My fingers seemed to get caught on the rim a lot. I'm open to giving them another shot, but I'd like to try something with a shallower profile. I'm thinking that a Magic or a Voodoo would be my best bet. I'm basing that off of the PDGA specs.

Could anyone compare these two Gateway putters to the Pure? Is the Magic too understable to be a workhorse?

I'm probably going to buy one of each and see for myself, but I'd love some input from the peanut gallery. I'm hoping that very soon I'll find the one so that I can buy a stack and actually learn how to play this game!

Just to throw this out there, Gotta Go Gotta Throw has TM2 Pures for $8 each. Just bought some myself for the same reason you suggested. I'm hoping by time I've beat these to the point of uselessness Lat 64 will have things worked out. Good luck :thmbup:

I've been throwing soft Voodoos for 4 years. They require good technique to drive far, but they can be a workhorse. They are basically a Wizard sans the bead. Very comfortable in the hand. A very straight flyer.

https://www.dgcoursereview.com/dgr/forums/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=18943&hilit=discmania+putter

article states that the p2's are not that shallow, and i'd agree. they are a quite deep (not a lid but deeper than an aviar). Looks like you could pretty much replace the pure for a wizard in a softer plastic that would break in. Broken in SSS wizards can get quite concave and very "thin" feeling putter compared to flight plate/bead.

if you don't like the bead definitely try a voodoo. I have one that flew very simliar to my wizards but broke in to much more understable.

Oh, and Magics are very understable and touchy.

The magic is my main putter and I wouldn't say that they are too understable. If you keep a fresh one for driving, it's extremely straight, giving a small hyzer release and good form. It glides much better than a wizard off the tee too. However, in windy situation, mostly headwind, I would almost never use it.

The trick with it is to not try to rip it like a driver. Throw it like you throw a x commet and you can get 300' with them on a straight line. For putting, they are shallow and straight. You can get them in any firmness you prefer, all that for about 5$... What's not to like really? (Besides the putter itself, but one must try it for that!)

hammer and kp make good points.
voodoo is wicked, like im from boston, wicked comfortable in the hand. flat out the thing flies straight and sometimes a little farther than most putters. No true turn no true fade for me.

magic gets a little squirrely when really ripped into, but a clean 80% can produce really nice drives. if it starts turning, dont count on it it fading. i used to use it as my tunnel disc and anything i wanted to fly straight the whole way through, elevations and all.

also agree im not sure how confident i would be in the wind throwing the magic. Both very useful discs

Sorry for the blurry pic. This is a Warlock on the left and an Opto Pure on the right. Profile-wise they're about as similar as you will get.

Now, the Warlock has a deeper feeling rim than the Pure because the Pure's inside rim is slightly angled. Also, my Opto Pure is a bit domier than my EZE/TM2 Pures. You can find flatter Warlocks, though. But any Gateway putter I've used feels beefier than my Pure. That's just the way it is.

So yes, Gateway-wise, the Warlock is going to be the closest to the Pure. I wouldn't worry too much though if you're really a fan of the Pure. There are enough out there to keep your stock until Lat fixes their base-plastic issue.

Attachments

• WP_000886.jpg
    WP_000886.jpg
    98.6 KB · Views: 22
Gateway depths:
Wizard: 1.8cm
Warlock: 1.6cm
Voodoo: 1.6cm
Magic: 1.5cm

Discraft low profile putters:
Zone: 1.2cm
Ringer: 1.2cm

Innova:
XD: 1.2cm

Looks like the Magic is your best bet... But, in my opinion, it's still deep. I have 6 Swans/Tuonelan Joutsens that are 1.5cm and I totally agree about the rim catching on fingertips. I've been putting with midranges lately (Warship or Buzzz SS). I've looked into shallow putt and approach discs thought: Zone, XD, and the Ringer look good.

Last edited:
Bah, I think I should just stick with the Pure and take my chances. One reason why I'm worried about Latitude base plastic situation is the fact that I'm not a huge fan of my Opto Pure. I'm thinking about using TM2/EZE for everything and that is going to lead to much faster wear.

What don't you like about your Opto Pure off the tee? I rarely throw my TM2s anymore because I love the Opto. Just curious.

Latest posts