• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Gateway] Gateway Wizard problems

aajpity

* Ace Member *
Bronze level trusted reviewer
Alright, the Gateway SS Wizard is my favorite putter of all time. The Anode/Wizard combo in my big bag will be grand. One small problem, the Wizard is so inconsistent. I am not saying the disc's flight. No wizard feels like my Wizard. I go in to gottagogottathrow 2 times a month and feel every single one they have (40+) and none of them are comparable. Someone else I talked to had this problem too (he is now an Ion lover). I have tried Ion's and do not enjoy them like I enjoy my Wizard. Is this a problem others are having too? :popcorn:

Nope all my Wizards are the same feel same color all were bought at different times even have different stamps. But all the same velvety feel love it. On a different note why can't the Anode just replace your Wizard did mine almost.

One small problem, the Wizard is so inconsistent. I am not saying the disc's flight. No wizard feels like my Wizard. I go in to gottagogottathrow 2 times a month and feel every single one they have (40+) and none of them are comparable. Someone else I talked to had this problem too (he is now an Ion lover). I have tried Ion's and do not enjoy them like I enjoy my Wizard. Is this a problem others are having too? :popcorn:

you must be new here. this is the main complaint you will here about gateway.

Never thrown a wizard but used voodoo's fo awhile, i would just get the same ss and same color and thats about as close as your prob gunna get. All my black sss voodoo's felt the same.

This is a common Gateway problem. This is the ONLY reason I don't putt with Gateway putters.

Good luck to you, amigo!

Every manufacturer uses different plastic every run so you'll get that with everyone. I have multiples of putters bought/won at different times from many different manufacturers and none of them feel the same. I love that Gateway's the only that gets grief over this when they're the only one trying to cater to every disc golfer's preference. I don't necessarily think that's a business model that can be sustained, but it's not my company.

If you like a disc and its plastic, buy every one you can find regardless of the manufacturer. Otherwise you'll encounter this every purchase.

I had that problem and learned to like Ions. They can cover all the same shots, don't get beat up, are more comfortable and they are super consistent in feel. I'd give them another chance, or if you just don't like them still try to find a run of Wizards you like and buy 5-10 of the same kind.

You can email gateway. I sent them the one I liked and they hand picked 5 exactly like it and gave me a heck of a deal. I think it was 5 for 40.

You can email gateway. I sent them the one I liked and they hand picked 5 exactly like it and gave me a heck of a deal. I think it was 5 for 40.

really i might do this! nice that they offer this service...i had no idea i could do that!!!

now that sounds like something amazing. i would probably buy a bakers dozen if they truly could match up my favorite putter with all the same stamps.

would be really nice!

13 for 100 you send your putter in they weigh it and send you back your putter and 13 more stamped the same for 100.

ions are okay but i do like the fact that putters are base plastic and beat in slowly.

really i might do this! nice that they offer this service...i had no idea i could do that!!!

now that sounds like something amazing. i would probably buy a bakers dozen if they truly could match up my favorite putter with all the same stamps.

would be really nice!

13 for 100 you send your putter in they weigh it and send you back your putter and 13 more stamped the same for 100.

ions are okay but i do like the fact that putters are base plastic and beat in slowly.

I think it's 5 for 40 or 10 for 70. And yes, it's pretty sweet that they do this.

Hmm. Wasn't interested in that many Wizards. I just wanted 1 or 2 backups.. We will see though. That is an awesome thing that the company does. :clap:

Gateway :hfive: Me

I had that problem and learned to like Ions. They can cover all the same shots, don't get beat up, are more comfortable and they are super consistent in feel. I'd give them another chance, or if you just don't like them still try to find a run of Wizards you like and buy 5-10 of the same kind.

This ^^^

Maybe get a focus and give it a whirl.

Last edited:
I think I've read where wizard throwers will pick up tourney stamped discs. The logic being they're most likely from the same run.
Not sure how accurate that is as I don't throw them myself.

I have found 4 that are almost identical over the course of a year and a half or so. 2 are black 1 white and 1 kinda a blueish color. It just takes a lot of looking, and being from St. Louis helps alot with gateway being there, and them being so accommodating. if you are in the area stop buy. If that's not an option give them a call or email and they will do their best to get you what you want.

Seems like Gateway has production problems but makes up for it in customer service. That right there is more then enough to make me want to throw Gateway.

wizards>>> anodes I don't care how inconsistent they are

Really? You would say the Wizard is that much better then the Anode. For me it's kind of a coin toss. Anode has been great to me, the wizard has been too. The inconsistency.. It's hard to not take that into account.

Not being able to find consistent wizards led me to IONs. Magics, however, are sweet and the anode wont be replacing them anytime soon.

FWIW, I carry an ion a magic and an anode

Latest posts