• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Gateway] Gateway Wizard

Recently into these. Is there a list of all the plastics somewhere LOL?

There is a fairly large list of plastics, but the real problem is that there is little resemblance between runs of discs that are labeled the same. So, your Soft Wizard probably does not have the same flex, feel, and look as some else's Soft Wizard.

When Wizard throwers handle a Wizard that they particularly like, they generally buy up as many as they can from the same run, because there likely will never be any more like them - ever.

Just got myself a SS wizard from my local shop..all i gotta say my first day using this disc i shot my personal best score at mount airy for anyone who has played it..im still new to the game, been playing for about 14 months now..disc felt great in my hand, prolly getting duplicates soon!

Nice! I'm a Wizard guy. If you like SS, try SSS. I'm a fan of SSS, SB and ER. Putting is such a personal preference. if it feels good, it is good! I'm just getting back into disc golf after about 20 year break. I grew up playing Banklick and used to play Mt Airy a lot too. Banklick, Mt Airy and now Idlewild. We're lucky to have such nice courses within 30 minutes of each other....

I didnt realize that I replied to a topic from 2013?? He's not that new anymore?? LOL

Last edited:
FYI, not all SB blends are the same. They all vary in flex and feel.

I'm new to that plastic blend and have 2 SB Wizards. Gateway discs vary from one to the next. I usually have to take some sand paper to mine because who ever they pay to trim the excess rubber off the disc after they make them seems to be different one to the next so I usually have to fine tune mine.

It's funny.. I still buy fricken Wizards, and yet I still have a fresh (rather dusty) stack. I should stop, I think I have a problem.

.. and yea, those were damned fine Wizards.

I can pm you my address if you want to send me done to make room for more purchases.

This is very true. Current SB are firmer than the original SB blend. The first SB I ever got was gritty, flexy, and puddle topped. Current ones do not match up.

Sometime around 2010 as I recall
i-LWR98FN-M.jpg

And... 2013, the simple removal of PDGA still makes me laugh.
i-Br92xPn-M.jpg

Now.
i-XmBJVRw-M.jpg

Sadly, the last time I ordered from Gateway directly, I asked for "as close to medium as possible".. and got "I'll send you some PWP", which is pretty much as close.

I haven't seen one marked Med in years now :(
Mine is an old 2004 model and they had the PDGA appoved on the front side with just the 172 grams my disc is on the back, though mine is missing both and my dads hard Wizard is missing Approved on front though back is has all the info on it. This was the transition era to the labeling style they have now.

Last edited:
How I got away with having that G9i Wizard in my bag during tournamnts, not being legal I will never know, it never had PDGA on it or Approved on the front or back. My G9i wizard is labeled a midrange Approach Not a Putter like G9i ones after 2005, is that rare?

What is the lowest shouldered premium Wizard you guys have found? Cause I throw putters alot, I'm thinking about switching my throwing putters from baseline and seasoning in a couple premium ones. All the premium Wizards I have seen are pretty high shouldered, but I am a huge fan of low profile ones..

I've never seen anyone do a flex test. I'm not even sure the equipment exists. The mold is approved, it's just too hard in med.. Not sure how they deal with that.

I saw on an old thread on here about G9i, Hard, Medium and Firm, that they cut the disc in half then use a machine to do flex rating, used more for automotive purposes, but they are out there. I have seen them used for stuff in go through with flex in NASCAR using to test the Springs on all the cars, some tracks have specific rules for the flex on those and then the general rules for NASCAR. It is like a pair of large digital calipers some are hand tighten others are using the hydraulics. The flex machines look like the straight ruler kind of Calipers but bigger and wider by a bit.

What is the lowest shouldered premium Wizard you guys have found? Cause I throw putters alot, I'm thinking about switching my throwing putters from baseline and seasoning in a couple premium ones. All the premium Wizards I have seen are pretty high shouldered, but I am a huge fan of low profile ones..

These (well, there are some nice stiff old runs out there, but for modern ones): http://gatewaydiscsportsdirect.bigcartel.com/product/platinum-evo-wizards They're a little gummier than I like, but are pretty nice throwers once you knock the new off them. They start with a bit of dome, but flatten out and drop their shoulders pretty nicely.

That said, I've given up on all premium Wizards, excepting for when I find a nice flat old stiffy in a used bins, from time to time. There just aren't any newer ones that are and flat, stiff, and low shouldered as I like.

I can confirm that these are pretty low shouldered. Definitely not as bulky feeling as the newer evo diamonds. They do have a bit of gumminess to them, but they feel and fly great. The boiling water trick can be used to flatten them out, if desired.

The best low profile premium wizard is an Ion..... Everyone knows that I adore Wizards but very few of them have ever been tight enough for me to bag.

If you can get over the rounded inner Rim of the Ion, they perform very simular to a baseline wizard but in a premium package.

The best low profile premium wizard is an Ion..... Everyone knows that I adore Wizards but very few of them have ever been tight enough for me to bag.

If you can get over the rounded inner Rim of the Ion, they perform very simular to a baseline wizard but in a premium package.

Do not like how the MVP/Axiom overmold's feel in the hand, when holding them the heavy rim feels off.

Last edited:

All premium wizards I've ever owned we're deep dish pizza

Hate em

All premium wizards I've ever owned we're deep dish pizza

Hate em

The oop due to a major manufacturer Innova? sending in a G9i Wizard to PDGA for flex testing was not as deep dish as a regular hard or firm Wizard. Also G9i Wizard might have molded up slightly different then a regular Wizard. Same reason that Discraft in 2006 switched hard Magnets from being as stiff as they were due to being right on the line of are they too stiff.

Latest posts