• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Innova] Gator Power

Punk kid stole a pearly of mine that I left on the basket before...wouldn't come clean and I didnt want to make a scene...had an ace with that gator too...nice and pearly silver with purple tint....all good, as I cursed the disc at that moment the joker wouldnt give it back...someday, someday...my fault, dang:doh:

that's when you throw a tomahawk throw right to the grill :sick:

drone is way too glidy...but a nice disc:thmbup:

Drone?...glidy? i disagree. It comes out fast. slows. and falls with huge fade.

When choosing between gator and drone (I think I even made a thread asking opinions about the two) I went drone. First the FLX (hit something, say a tree, and then dies) now an Elite Z Drone (super skipper). For it's intended purpose, that being short, but huge left hooks, fh's, and spikes....it was the was to go. Totall workhorse. Not to mention they feel like super beefy rocs in my hand, just without the bead, so it feels like something I'm used to tossing.

I've seen the gator not take it's "intended" line on some occasion (big quick turns), but instead hold to str8

With the drone...this will NEVER happen...guaranteed. At least not in my exerience with them.

I've been thinking about getting myself a Star Gator for awhile. After reading this thread, I'm definitley going to pick one up.

The Gator is definitely a cool disc to use. I never had the kind of snap that you need on it to get the advertised straight shot out of it, but it has its uses. Because the fade is so predictable, it can be very accurate. My Gator has drained some pretty long putts.

I've also found it great for shorter putts or mid shots in tight woods. With some hyzer/anhyzer, it holds whatever curve I'll put on it. Solid disc.

almost picked up a gator because of a friend that throws one so well. picked up a drone myself.

so what's with the beaded star gator and the non-beaded star gators you see on the shelves.

anyone thrown both?

Never seen a Beaded Star Gator, but the DX and Champion ones are all beaded.
Ive thrown gators in all plastics, and a variety of weights. I settled on the non-beaded Star Gator, because for FH, the non-bead makes it easier to get a clean release.

I wholeheartedly agree. The Gator is just as innova describes it a "midrange control disc"

I love that it has speed but not much glide, because it makes it less flippy. A great shot with the gator is a low FH hyzer, when you have a corner to turn. If you can get the outside edge to skim the ground a little, the spin in the opposite direction will slow it down and prevent it rolling or skipping past the basket.

Star Gator is amazing, it shaves more strokes off my score than any other disc. I carry two at all times, a 169 and a 173g.

The new stars are beaded.

I use an unbeaded star, short approaches, anything I need a bit of a hook on and windy putts are where my gator shines.

I have a 175 but throw a 167 because the loss of weight actually increases glide or my weakling ass can throw it farther for the same amount of effort.

Punk kid stole a pearly of mine that I left on the basket before...wouldn't come clean and I didnt want to make a scene...had an ace with that gator too...nice and pearly silver with purple tint....all good, as I cursed the disc at that moment the joker wouldnt give it back...someday, someday...my fault, dang:doh:

i'd have made the little **** open his bag, take out the disc, and show him how the name and number matches the one on all your other discs

Champ Gator....
Love it... i might hardly use it, but when i do it saves my butt every time.

Great for Hyzer Spikes, Forehand, Wind, and when you want a meathook.

Everytime i try to remove this disc from my bag, i play one round, and realize that it must stay...

What is a gator, i dont think that i have ever heard of it before

I use my Champ Gator for nearly every upshot in the 100-200ft range. Ridiculously reliable. I honestly don't know what I'd do without one. Drone or Zone, maybe?

f4S7tl.jpg

NECRO BUMP!

I actually put it in for grenades but now i use it for backhands forehands and hyzers esp when i need to land in the circle and not skip out.

all mine are blunt and beaded.

I like that forehands turn just a touch and they do come back at the end. i was having buzzzes flip on long forehand upshots where the gator just seems to need power to go forward but isnt' crazy stable like a firebird and that is what i was using before for those upshots...now i know where the disc is going and that is important. i also like to throw the gator at something and let it fly low and land straight. very good at grenades too....the higher the better.

I used to use the gator a lot, then I stopped using it for a few years. Started using the zone when it came out and fell in love with it. Recently, I went and bought a nice old stock stamp gator and got back out on the course with it, and honestly, I wasn't blown away. I prefer the feel of the zone in my hands, and really have no use for the gator anymore, so that one got traded away. And these new Cryztal FLX Zones are MONEY!!!

Latest posts