• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Vs.] Gator v M1

Eco81

Double Eagle Member
Can anyone compare the gator to an M1. I am not in love with the gator and am looking for something more stable then my roc.

i went from gators to pro pigs my M1 is overstable but not like a gator. i only use the m1 in the wind. otherwise i dont really like it. m3 is better

The m1 would pair well with a roc. It has a similar feel in the hand and is nicely OS. I find the gator to be shorter.

I love my M1 to death, even though many would say such an OS mid would be uneccesarry. I tend to agree somewhat, since I don't use the M1 all that much but I do have a tone-pole ace with it, so I must be doing something right.

As others have said, the Gator is a slow, glideless brick with a massive fade, or hook, at the end. Which is actually a good thing for those crazy placement, hit and stick shots. The m1 is more versatile for me...its is quite a bit longer and has really good glide...almost Euro glide. I use my Roc3 or M3 for most mid-range shots, but as you can tell by my sig, I've got a lot of OS mid-ranges as well. I use almost all of them on the reg...I know, I'm weird.

I can tell you this: the M1 and the Gator feel vastly different in the hand. Like, no similarities at all. So if you don't like the Gators feel, then the M1 could be a viable choice just know that just because it's an OS mid, doesn't mean it is the same disc...like, at all. I now prefer a Breaker for my Gator-esque shots, and even though it's a putter I do find it to be a bit longer.

Not the greatest pics, but hope this helps you:
382729_10201136343513017_1014343494_n.jpg

M1 vs. Gator

312137_10201136343673021_1482958865_n.jpg

Gator vs. Breaker

935513_10201136343633020_44214478_n.jpg

Breaker vs. M1

Also of note is that the Gator is quite a bit smaller in diameter than an M1.

In my experience the m1 isn't nearly as overstable as my gators. Although my gators or glow champion so they are more overstable than dx. The m1 would flip up in the wind like my old champion rhyno so I quit using it n

What weight M1 were you using? I have a 180 and it is prime beef. I've thrown a 174 (marked not scaled) that wasn't necessarily any less overstable, but was definitely more susceptible to small amounts of wrist roll or shoulder angle (an issue I often struggle with so it was very apparent to me.)

The Gator, perhaps because of it's bead, perhaps because of it's small diameter, perhaps because of it's lack of glide, seems to mask a lot more subtle form flaws in any weight. I have a DX 150g in my 150-class bag and I can crank on that thing all day with my bad form and it won't turn. It's pretty beat too.

Not saying you have form flaws, just saying that I do and for once, an OS disc helped me fix them somewhat. Regardless, I prefer an M1 to a Gator.