• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Georgia Disc Golf

Sean4287

I am from Michigan which is full of fantastic courses and a very decent crowd of players. I just moved to the Atlanta area in late june and have played a few courses, I have only been impressed by one (East Roswell). This has really made me less motivated to drive 18-20 miles to play a course because it could be a terrible waste. I have read some reviews but could anyone from the area give me some advice on where to go and play some great disc. I know the PDGA is stationed in GA so there has to be some decent courses, Right????

Also I am looking to volunteer to help clean up and make courses better. Does a group exist in the area? Some of the courses just need the touch of actual players to make them truly enjoyable.

I'm sorry this isn't Michigan. No, wait, not really.

Rosewood-Dekalb over in Redan should be on your list as should Perkerson.

I have never Played ERP but I hear it is a fun course form the localsand it should be near you. I second the Redan Recommendation. If you are up to it, there will be a Pro/AM Tournament Oct. 18th and 19th.

Welcome to GA Sean. Everything that's going on in the metro ATL area, including people interested in volunteering is in the forums section of the ATL disc golf site. Come out to the local doubles action & to the bi-annual club events to meet everyone, there's a big crowd of local players - http://www.discgolfatlanta.com/phpbb

Here are some must play GA courses:
1. Crucible in Athens. Only setup twice/yr for a tourney so keep your eyes out for this one. Hands down the best course in the state at par 68 on an old 100 acre farm - a shame it can't be permanent.
2. IDGC - 2 great courses on the same piece of land, soon to be 3
3. In ATL: ERP, Redan, Perkerson (only setup wednesday afternoons for now, once/month on the weekend starting Nov) & JP Moseley (great, BIG new course on southside).

Deerlick, Central Park and Fayetteville's course are good too - but play the others first.

Other notables - Lake Russell, Tom Triplett (savannah), Meeks Park in the mountains, Toccoa, Lake Olmstead in Augusta & Sandy Creek in Athens

3. In ATL: ERP, Redan, Perkerson (only setup wednesday afternoons for now, once/month on the weekend starting Nov) & JP Moseley (great, BIG new course on southside).

Deerlick, Central Park and Fayetteville's course are good too - but play the others first.

I used to live in Atl. I second (or third) the vote for Redan. It's a nice place. Also... The new course in Fayetteville is decent. It's not got all the amenities because it's new but it's not a bad place to play.

Out of curiosity Sean4287 which course have you played in GA. Most of the courses in the Atlanta area are fairly nice. The only two that I try to stay away from are Oregon(only 9 holes) and Wills(has every possible course interference such as mobile homes parked on course, dog shows on course, walking paths through half the holes, throwing very close to baseball fields,and throwing OVER tennis courts)

I have played East Roswell, Lenora which was nice but to far from me to make it a regular spot, Deer lick which I styrongly disliked, and oregan which isn't bad, just short and the baskets are too high off of the ground. I just want to find some courses that wont take less than 45 minutes.

If you are looking for course that will take longer to play I would have to suggest Central Park in Cumming of JP Mosely in Stockbridge. Both of those courses are extremely long if played from the long tees. Also the course in Cumming has 27 holes. The one con is that they are both at the very edges of what I would call the Atlanta area.

Sean,

Where do you live?

Sean,

I'm from NC but I have played many of the Atlanta courses. To give you a frame of reference I rated Oregon Park at 7 out of 10 (so 3.5 on here). Another course that's one of the closest to you would be Sequoyah in Cherokee County. I also rated that a 7, but I like wooded courses. It has some quirks though.

Unfortunately Marietta isn't real close to most of the courses in Atlanta. See the map attached.

Have fun!

Attachments

• Atlanta-North-Courses.jpg
    Atlanta-North-Courses.jpg
    100 KB · Views: 6
Don't know which part of Atlanta you are at, but look in to Toccoa. I know you won't be able to play that in 45 mins. It also has a choice of long and short tee pads, and if I'm not mistaken I'm pretty sure it has 24 holes. Great mix of open and tight holes.
Also if you do venture to Augusta, Riverview is also a course to look into playing.....one of my top 5 favorites.

Latest posts