• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Get Lit! (The Fuse Thread)

I played my local pitch and putt course today for the first time in a while since it has been flooded, and it was my first time there with my GL Fuse (which was applicable on about half the holes). I carved up that course like I haven't done in a while throwing the Fuse a LOT. I put wind on the chains at least twice and I was throwing great finesse annies, hyzers, straight shots, and long gradual S turns. When I just smooth it about 15' in the air, straight in front of me, and slight hyzer it drifts right very slowly and then fades straight ahead for 300'+. Its honestly the easiest and most natural 300' I've ever thrown with a disc. If I give it less than 300' of power it will flip slightly out of any angle I put on it and then lock and glide without turning over.

I pretty much throw it just like I would my Meteor and it ends up in the same place. However, the different ways they get there affect my percentage of success greatly. The Meteor is fast and generates enough lift with a somewhat fast throw to keep it up while it moves laterally to get good distance. It is touchy however. It is not that forgiving in terms of nose angle, and you must hit the cruising speed to get the correct action, and its kind of fast for a touch disc. The Fuse on the other hand is noticeably slower, but has super glide to keep it in the air and penetrating forward. It does not require a fast throw to generate lift, but can handle a hard throw without really changing its lift characteristics. This makes it extremely forgiving, along with its slow turn. The Fuse slays the Meteor for the understable midrange slot.

discspeed said:
smarkquart said:
After spending so much time recently with my Ridges, I have not been giving any of my mids a lot of time. I gave the Fuse a good two rounds today and I was thoroughly disappointed with it. It always slipped out of my hands when bringing it up to power and or drove striaght into the ground. The only shot were it excelled was releasing with the slightest bit of anhyzer and out to my left at medium power; it held a line across the fairway, nicely gliding right and landing soft. Beyond that kind of shot, a more finese shot, I could not get this thing to fly right at all.

I can blame it on the form, grip, and power I needed for throwing putters so much recently, but you would think that after 18 holes you would be able to adjust enough to get it to fly reasonably right.

It is a 177 Orange GL Fuse. It might be sitting in the box for awhile as I pull out other mids to see if I had developed the same problem with them because I have fallen so much in love with the Ridge (and to a lesser extent the VP) for everything under 300 feet.

It seriously sounds like horking overstable, glideless putters with anny and power is ruining your form.

Possibly, but I have been throwing understable putters as well (Summit and Voodoo) along with my Ridges and Ion, and recently been giving my Makos more work, which seemed to fly normally and as I expected them to.

The Fuse just feels too slick in my hand and does not sit the most comfortably in my grip.

Barring some kind of borderline impossible scenario where I get sponsored and have to choose only one brand to throw, the Fuse is staying in the bag forever.

I've never seen a disc that will hold a line on the smallest little flicks of the wrist.

There is a really tough hole on my local course that is only about 175 feet, but THE ONLY shot that will park the hole is a very soft anhyzer line. The fuse is glidey enough, and holds anhyzer lines well enough, that I was able to do a VERY soft standstill shot that held that very slow, deliberate, and slight anhyzer line the whole way, and I parked this hole for the first time.

Goodbye forever beat-up-D-Buzzz, its a shot that you could never even touch.

I really don't like singing the praises of certain discs very much, because I think on this board there is a huge overemphasis on having the "correct" disc, and not enough on just learning how to throw well. But in this case, I have to say its something unique, and something that happens to totally work for my style. You may have found a freak Fuse, but both of the opto's I have fly beautifully and consistently, and if they always fly wrong for you, its probably user error. Finding the grip uncomfortable is a different issue, obviously, but my money says that I could take any Fuse that "just doesn't fly right," and make it do what my other Fuses are already doing.

Ryan C said:
I really don't like singing the praises of certain discs very much, because I think on this board there is a huge overemphasis on having the "correct" disc, and not enough on just learning how to throw well.

Wrongo Boyo

discspeed said:
I played my local pitch and putt course today for the first time in a while since it has been flooded, and it was my first time there with my GL Fuse (which was applicable on about half the holes). I carved up that course like I haven't done in a while throwing the Fuse a LOT. I put wind on the chains at least twice and I was throwing great finesse annies, hyzers, straight shots, and long gradual S turns. When I just smooth it about 15' in the air, straight in front of me, and slight hyzer it drifts right very slowly and then fades straight ahead for 300'+. Its honestly the easiest and most natural 300' I've ever thrown with a disc. If I give it less than 300' of power it will flip slightly out of any angle I put on it and then lock and glide without turning over.

I pretty much throw it just like I would my Meteor and it ends up in the same place. However, the different ways they get there affect my percentage of success greatly. The Meteor is fast and generates enough lift with a somewhat fast throw to keep it up while it moves laterally to get good distance. It is touchy however. It is not that forgiving in terms of nose angle, and you must hit the cruising speed to get the correct action, and its kind of fast for a touch disc. The Fuse on the other hand is noticeably slower, but has super glide to keep it in the air and penetrating forward. It does not require a fast throw to generate lift, but can handle a hard throw without really changing its lift characteristics. This makes it extremely forgiving, along with its slow turn. The Fuse slays the Meteor for the understable midrange slot.
As one who pledged to keep the Meteor in my bag (I still have a super beat on in there for the moment), I'd have to agree. Fuse > Meteor for me, I've learned the Meteor really well but I can't deny that it can be a little touchy and unforgiving at times, which is where the Fuse really shines.

Shank said:
Ryan C said:
I really don't like singing the praises of certain discs very much, because I think on this board there is a huge overemphasis on having the "correct" disc, and not enough on just learning how to throw well.

Wrongo Boyo

I have to agree with Shank on this. From all that I've seen here, I think the emphasis here really is on learning to throw properly, and then it's on throwing the plastic that's right for you. There are obviously many opinions on which discs are better, but that's all they are. It doesn't change the fact that when someone has a real problem throwing a disc, the most common solution given here isn't to buy a better disc, it's to fix your throw. For people who don't want to or don't need to fix their throws, then you're really left with buying a different disc that feels comfortable and flies the way you need it.

That said, I'd agree with Miller. The Meteor has been pretty touchy at times, and while I can't give my full input on the Fuse (mine is still in the mail), the few times I've thrown Miller's, it's felt very comfortable, and help amazing lines with much more ease than the Meteor.

I have to agree with Shank on this. From all that I've seen here, I think the emphasis here really is on learning to throw properly, and then it's on throwing the plastic that's right for you. There are obviously many opinions on which discs are better, but that's all they are. It doesn't change the fact that when someone has a real problem throwing a disc, the most common solution given here isn't to buy a better disc, it's to fix your throw. For people who don't want to or don't need to fix their throws, then you're really left with buying a different disc that feels comfortable and flies the way you need it.

And then you will have comments like mine where I am saying that the Fuse does not fit in my hand very nicely at all (for me it is something about how my fingers curl up against the inner rim that is a little weird, not as weird as holding a beaded disc however). This also goes to show that input here on the boards is just as sensitive about how to throw, as well as what you should and should not throw based upon what is best for you and your game, not necessarily what is the best disc out there and how everyone needs to throw it. Again, agreeing with the idea that preaching about a particular disc is secondary to preaching how you should throw a certain type of disc and or shot.

smarkquart said:
The Fuse just feels too slick in my hand and does not sit the most comfortably in my grip.

this is where i'm at as well. my fan grip just doesn't fit well with this disc. not like the meteor or even comet which are very comfortable. and it's slick to me as well but that may be the size of the disc or the size of my hands not allowing me to get a good handle on it.

it must be causing me to overcompensate when i throw it because this GL 176 fuse is the most understable mid i've ever thrown. i do agree that with just a simple flick of the wrist it glides very nice and i've had some really nice throws but it's not been consistent for me so far. if I really get on it i'll drive it to the right and into the ground more times than not. if i'm slow and steady and don't put much on it it's very straight.

i want to love it. it's a beautiful disc. the plastic is out of this world. but the meteor is still on top for the time being.

are the opto's any more stable than the GL?

I am going to pick up another Fuse today, and am looking for one a little more understable than what I currently have. Right now I'm throwing a 176g Opto Fuse. My question is; should I go with a Gold Line version around the same weight, or go with another Opto but a little lighter?

My 176g Opto that I'm throwing right now is a little tough to hyzer-flip, so I am looking for one that will flip easier.

I initially thought the Fuse was slick. But that was before I threw it. I actually think Meteors are the slickest disc I've thrown, between their rim configuration and the ESP plastic once it gets a little bit of dirt on it, I have to use a power grip to hold onto the thing. The Fuse is actually an upgrade in that area, I have zero problems with slippage.

If a mid doesn't fit in your hand, I understand not wanting to throw it. If you just can't get it to fly right, then take the time to figure it out before you decide whether you like it or not. And if you don't like it, trade it to me :)

smarkquart said:
And then you will have comments like mine where I am saying that the Fuse does not fit in my hand very nicely at all (for me it is something about how my fingers curl up against the inner rim that is a little weird, not as weird as holding a beaded disc however).

If the Fuse is uncomfortable for you, and you don't like beaded discs, you are severely limited in what you actually CAN throw.

emiller3 said:
If you just can't get it to fly right, then take the time to figure it out before you decide whether you like it or not.

and i think that's just it. i'm not throwing it right. it is odd feeling but i've thrown the same two mids for so long i shouldn't be surprised. it seems big though, a larger diameter.

but i will definitely put time into it. too many people love it and the plastic is just too sweet to not throw.

discspeed said:
smarkquart said:
And then you will have comments like mine where I am saying that the Fuse does not fit in my hand very nicely at all (for me it is something about how my fingers curl up against the inner rim that is a little weird, not as weird as holding a beaded disc however).

If the Fuse is uncomfortable for you, and you don't like beaded discs, you are severely limited in what you actually CAN throw.

Sucks doesn't it?

I really like Lat64 discs as a whole (especially Trident, Striker, and Halo), but in reality I am happily set in what I can do and have no aspirations to become better than advanced. Life and time will not permit me more time to practice than that. The Drone/ Trident combination covers everything medium to short that needs overstable; the Ridge/ Mako handles everything up the middle and soft, sweeping anhyzers; the Summit, Voodoo, and or Meteor can cover everything else to the right.

I got the Fuse just because I thought it would be fun to have an all "Jasper" bag, but in reality my bag is fairly set. The only slots really in question are the maximum distance slots. Everything else I am fairly confident with.

Ridge/ Mako/ Drone/ Trident/ TeeBird/ Wraith/ Katana/ Destroyer/ Boss/ XCaliber

bill said:
are the opto's any more stable than the GL?
Strauss said:
I am going to pick up another Fuse today, and am looking for one a little more understable than what I currently have. Right now I'm throwing a 176g Opto Fuse. My question is; should I go with a Gold Line version around the same weight, or go with another Opto but a little lighter?

My 176g Opto that I'm throwing right now is a little tough to hyzer-flip, so I am looking for one that will flip easier.
I can only echo what turso has told me about the discs he has (two GLs, 174 and 177, and two optos, 170 and 174) and he feels that stability follows weight pretty much (heavier -> more stable/overstable), with the GLs being a bit more stable/overstable, if anything. His 170 Opto is also domey compared to the others, and the least stable, not by much though. It's also a tad slower and additionally, he feels that the GLs can handle a bit more speed.

YMMV.

Just picked up a 180g (heavier than normal, but i'm curious what it'll do and I like the feel) GL Fuse in a beautiful gold color. Damn, Lat64 definitely has the most beautiful discs I've ever seen. I'll throw it tonight and report back my findings.

On a side note: I now love my local PIAS. They got a new shipment of discs that are almost all Discmania and Lat64. I was REALLY tempted to pick up an S-PD and S-CD as well, but I've been spending too much on discs already and couldn't justify the cost.

DsmDisc said:
Just picked up a 180g (heavier than normal, but i'm curious what it'll do and I like the feel) GL Fuse in a beautiful gold color. Damn, Lat64 definitely has the most beautiful discs I've ever seen. I'll throw it tonight and report back my findings.

On a side note: I now love my local PIAS. They got a new shipment of discs that are almost all Discmania and Lat64. I was REALLY tempted to pick up an S-PD and S-CD as well, but I've been spending too much on discs already and couldn't justify the cost.

Grrrr, I've been looking for a 180g gold GL myself, so far no luck :p

bill said:
and i think that's just it. i'm not throwing it right. it is odd feeling but i've thrown the same two mids for so long i shouldn't be surprised. it seems big though, a larger diameter.

but i will definitely put time into it. too many people love it and the plastic is just too sweet to not throw.

ok the newness must have worn off and now the GL is not nearly as slick as it was yesterday brand new. i now get a really nice grip on it and my panic has definitely settled down.

i won't be throwing it in a head wind or even a cross wind but man calm or tail wind and it has a really nice anny glide with very little effort.

pointdisc hooked me up with a Metallic Blue 180, it should be here any day. He's the man! I'm hoping it will fade a little when thrown flat. My 177 will go dead straight with no fade on a clean, flat release.