• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Get Lit! (The Fuse Thread)

JimW said:
I had forgotten that the rim was supposedly slanted on it, I didn't notice it at all.

Relatively, its not slanted. I've got a Buzzz, a Rancho, and a Fuse right here and I'm comparing the slant on all 3 and it is so close that you would need some kind of measurement device to tell which had the most obtuse slant.

Where's Chuck Kennedy? Is rim configuration in any way a measurement of the angle we're talking about? If not, rim slant should be added to the specs.

discspeed said:
Where's Chuck Kennedy? Is rim configuration in any way a measurement of the angle we're talking about? If not, rim slant should be added to the specs.
i thought it had something to do with the sharpness of the disc?........speaking of that what the hell ever happened to the Ninja? it was supposed to be as sharp/wide rimmed as is legal :lol: gotta be just as comfortable in the hand as all the rest of their drivers :roll:

I got some throws in with my opto and gl fuse last night and I'm super happy with them so far. They flew like a comet for me but weren't near as speed sensitive. I could throw them as hard as my comets and they'd fly beautifully. And GLIDE! They has it.

It's probably a bit of the honeymoon effect, but I'm liking these more than my comets already. I'll have to get them into some woods and test them on some touch lines to know for sure though. I threw one last night that went 330' dead straight without moving side to side seemingly at all.

Can't wait to take them out with my putter and play a round.

discspeed said:

PDGA Technical Standards - Manufacturers Guidelines (12-19-09) said:
(6) Rim Configuration - The rim of the disc is held perpendicular to a contour gauge having 13 probes per
cm (such as the Valued ST142). The rim of the disc is then pressed gradually into the gauge to a depth of 5
mm. The resulting movement of each affected probe is measured to the nearest 0.25 mm, and then totaled
to produce the rim configuration rating. The ratings of three samples are determined, and the median score
is used as the final rating.

The rim they're referring to is the outer rim. The inner rim is referred to specifically as such. Essentially, the sharper the rim, the fewer probes which will be engaged, resulting in a lower number.

Dag said:
The rim they're referring to is the outer rim. The inner rim is referred to specifically as such. Essentially, the sharper the rim, the fewer probes which will be engaged, resulting in a lower number.

They still don't have a measurement for what I'm talking about. I'm talking about how far off 90 degrees the inner rim (bottom of disc) is slanted outward.

I got to fondle brother dave, err I mean I got to fondle his Fuse today. It is a very interesting disc indeed. It's like a Shark profile with a Comet like Dome but a BLUNT nose. the profile is rather Leopard-ish. I know that used to be a running joke but I'm serious about this one. It has definitely piqued my interest. but I also had some übernasty shots with my comet today. who knows.

Took my 177 Gold Line Fuse out today for the first time...on the first day of my first tournament, ever. You guys did a good job describing it, it flies beautifully and left me in the fairway, so thanks. I can throw it hyzer, slight hyzer, straight, slight anny, big anny...it holds them all like a champ. I can even power down/finesse it and flex it and just let the glide do all that work. Some of that is probably because of my altitude, but man, this is probably going to be my only midrange. Left a Roc in the bag and had a sharp hyzer shot with a strong headwind, didn't want to try the Fuse, but that's only reason I'll be keeping a (single) Roc in the bag. Still used the Meteors a lot, but they will be out once this Fuse gets seasoned. Or I may just get a 168 Fuse and be done with it.

emiller3 said:
Took my 177 Gold Line Fuse out today for the first time...on the first day of my first tournament, ever. You guys did a good job describing it, it flies beautifully and left me in the fairway, so thanks. I can throw it hyzer, slight hyzer, straight, slight anny, big anny...it holds them all like a champ. I can even power down/finesse it and flex it and just let the glide do all that work. Some of that is probably because of my altitude, but man, this is probably going to be my only midrange. Left a Roc in the bag and had a sharp hyzer shot with a strong headwind, didn't want to try the Fuse, but that's only reason I'll be keeping a (single) Roc in the bag. Still used the Meteors a lot, but they will be out once this Fuse gets seasoned. Or I may just get a 168 Fuse and be done with it.

I had a feeling that you would get into the Fuse given your taste for the Meteor.

The Fuse worked well for me yesterday; I didn't actually get a really good shot off with it but that was entirely me. Within the bounds of me screwing it up it worked nicely. Then this morning I threw the X Buzzz for some reason on the type of shot I envision for the Fuse (flat release with a gradual turn) and it worked perfectly so now I'm undecided. I suspect the Fuse will win out in the end though, it's just so easy to get it to hold that turn.

I've had a little over a week to work with the fuse (about 10 rounds) being used in place of the comet.

The fuse is definitely faster, but definitely less versatile. Basically it's a trade off between being able to throw more types of shots or be slightly more limited in flight patterns but be able to throw those flight paths on a lower line.

The fuse is a really good disc, and I'd recommend anyone to try it for a slightly understable mid, but that's exactly what it is as opposed to a comet, which is a true stable mold IMHO.

I got a round in with my fuses last night and put them up against the comet. I find they are very similar only the fuse can really take some speed where if I put that much on a comet it turns and burns. So far I'm really liking them and I think they're going to take over the comet slot for me. I won't get rid of all of my comets but I think I'm going to even up the inventories a bit to test out some more fuses.

Anyone looking to dump a fuse for a comet, let me know. I've got a couple Z's, an ESP and an X I'd trade away for a fuse.

booter said:
if you decide to get rid of your fuse. Lmk :)

this has actually been one of the toughest calls about what to put in my bag...still undecided at this point, each disc has its own merits and really very few downsides which is what is making this a difficult decision. IF I was only going to throw one midrange, I'd probably stay with comets, but since I have Rocs back in my bag as a primary midrange I have a difficult decision to make!

Before you give up on the Fuse, try throwing air bounces with them. OMG it is a blast and has gotten me out of some really strange predicaments.

All,
I might have a brand new Fade bag to trade for a couple Fuses here soon, also have some new discs and some cash, PM me if you're getting rid of them (of course, PM the other guys ahead of me first...but I won't tell them if you don't)

I saw the sexiest looking Fuse ever at the tourney this weekend. I'd been looking at opto Fuses online, and was looking through LSDiscs's selection of them when I came across a "tennisball" yellow opto that was very opaque (more so than any opto I've seen personally...I thought it was a Gold Line at first). Unfortunately, upon turning it over, it only weighed 168g... :( Some day I'll find that Fuse's 177-178g obese twin brother...

so i decided to pick up two 178 opto fuses last night and i have a problem. the red/pink one i bought flies just how i want it to, it holds ANY line i put it on up to 330 ft thus far but the yellow opto i bought just turns over every time, i will throw it with hyzer and by 250 feet its in an anhyzer heading to the ground ussually around 300-320 feet. again, both 178 optos, only the color is different, are there certain colors that are more stable? are the goldlines more consistent?