• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Get Lit! (The Fuse Thread)

I have a 170 Opto that is really straight when thrown with finesse, but when given a good bit of power it likes to flip. I also have a 178 Z Buzzz SS that can take a lot more power without flipping over. Any suggestions on what kind of Fuse to look for that would fit well between the two?

All the max weight optos I have tried do not like to flip on flat releases, no matter how hard they're thrown. Personally, I prefer GL over opto for the fuse. I like the lower shoulder/ flatter feel in the hand.

What is it about the flight of the GL's over the Optos? I saw a flat GL today. Wasn't sure if that was the type you guys like so much, or if it was ones with moderate dome.

Fightingthetide said:
What is it about the flight of the GL's over the Optos? I saw a flat GL today. Wasn't sure if that was the type you guys like so much, or if it was ones with moderate dome.

Its not a great big difference for me, but I like throwing my goldline fuse on slightly lower lines better than my optos. Same thing I noticed with Rivers where you seem to get that everlasting straight glide. Looks like a stalled flying saucer right before it starts its descent, but really its just going so damn straight with less speed it just hovers gradually forward until it lands. The opto seems to do that better for me with more height. The opto I carry is a 180 vs. my 175/177 blue and gold gls. I lost a nice 172 pink opto that did fly a little more like my goldlines but still not quite the same feel as the goldlines. (I lost it at Brackett's Bluff as an aside, one of my favorite courses)

The Optos are harder to work lines with. When new they take more arm to turn, and once broken in they flip easier and often too much. GLs aren't as touchy as the Optos, either from torque or the wind.

Got some field and course time with my 177 GL's today. Both have the same PLH. One is blue with less dome, and one is pink with more dome. I have a little bit of OAT issues, but I did get plenty of clean throws.

Into the wind, these discs don't perform too well. You need to give them more hyzer, but even then they tend to be really touchy.

With the wind at your back, the glide on these guys carries them really far and still fly understable (pending on how you throw it, of course).

On hyzer, they both flip up a bit (the pink more than the blue), and end up fading softly as expected. I dont think I will throw them on hyzer shots that need a somewhat immediate left turn. These tended to fly the first 50% of the flight on a straight line while flipping up, and then slow down and start the left turn. I bet if I threw with more finesse, they would hold the left turn immediately, so it's not to say that they couldn't be used for that shot.

On anhyzer, the pink outperformed the blue. On a high anhyzer, they would both fly straight for the first half of the flight before turning right. Neither really faded on anhzyer, but if you don't give them enough they will certainly fade. While the blue was more stable (not by much), the pink was much less likely to turn into a roller when turned over hard. The blue would lose altitude faster, and as expected because of the flatter dome, and wouldn't get flat enough to have a good landing. The Pink is now my right-turning mid and the blue is my neutral mid.

Overall, I know I need more time to learn them, but I'm stoked to add them to the bag.

found this little baby at a Play it Again Sports. It's a 169 and had the same parting line as the three other gold lines and two other optos that were there, but this one was the flattest. all the other fuses were 177+. Is this about as flat as the goldlines you like Discspeed? This is gonna be my understable complement to a couple ranchos.
IMG_20130130_230823.jpg

IMG_20130130_230911.jpg

Just wanted to check in and mention that I'm really liking the fuse. I have a 174 gold line I picked up after a friends suggestion. I've played a few rounds with it and wanted to say that the person who mentioned you could get out to 350 with some nose up an hyzer, I agree. Hole 5 at elon long course (longs at eager beaver here in Charlotte) got parked today with the fuse.

It's a super fun disc, I'd like to see what a heavy weight flies like and also if there are any variances in colors or plastic that might add / detract from the stability.

that's good to hear!

love my fuse... great disc that flies under the radar.
Max weight, goldline and flat please!

I also really liked (need to replace) the fuse in the test plastic.
Grippy, and beats in to a fuse that will never stop turning.
Quite useful when you need it.

They vary in shape by plastics and i have three that are different in shape and close in flight but unlike the originals. The originals flipped a lot and very unpredictable. The ones from this year flip 2-3 degrees on full power. My record is just over 320'. So a hair under a Comet. Smigles let me try his fr Comet and it did not flip with a good throw at full power. The new Fuses can be made to work as straight and almost as far but recycled is tackier. The difference is that the Fuses are in the shops.

The thing is that i do not have current sharp edged ones. The three good new ones i have vary in dome height, bluntness of the nose, plh, concavity of the wing and how much material there is above and below the edge. Forgood ones seek discs with a blunt nose with plenty of material in the shoulder and the top of the wing and a concave top part of the wing. Those are good no idea about the sharper edged thin shouldered ones.

Grr i meant to post here about the additional throws thus far but put it in the Latitude thread. The Fuses with blunt edges and meaty shouldrrs and wings are nice and the Opto flips less than the Recycled at least with a flatter Opto and a domey Recycled.

JR said:
They vary in shape by plastics and i have three that are different in shape and close in flight but unlike the originals. The originals flipped a lot and very unpredictable. The ones from this year flip 2-3 degrees on full power. My record is just over 320'. So a hair under a Comet. Smigles let me try his fr Comet and it did not flip with a good throw at full power. The new Fuses can be made to work as straight and almost as far but recycled is tackier. The difference is that the Fuses are in the shops.

The thing is that i do not have current sharp edged ones. The three good new ones i have vary in dome height, bluntness of the nose, plh, concavity of the wing and how much material there is above and below the edge. Forgood ones seek discs with a blunt nose with plenty of material in the shoulder and the top of the wing and a concave top part of the wing. Those are good no idea about the sharper edged thin shouldered ones.

good stuff JR, thanks for the info.

I'm in the market for some new ones, since the one I've been using (for years now) may be headed into retirement.

If you buy a sharp outer edged one please tell me how much it flips, because my original one flipped about 5-6 degrees and the blunter edged ones are significantly enough less flipping.

Is anyone that's throwing both Fuses and Claymore's thinking the Claymore might replace the Fuse for the same shots?

Latest posts