• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Getting married...and she says I have too much plastic! Advice?

Uh, no and yes. In that order. Unless we're talking... /checks forum /not landfill ... no we're not talking about that. ;)

grow a pair and stop asking for permission to do things. couple should be able to made decisions and do things they want with out fear the other wont let them.

I'm 34, married, one kid and I agree with this sentiment. It's not disrespectful to keep your hobbies after you get married. It is a red flag for someone to try to control your hobbies. I've seen this happen on many forums, it is not specific to disc golf. Very common situation with musicians. Girls meet guys while they're in bands, and then after marriage they get pissed that their husbands want to keep playing.

For crying out loud, she's a woman. She must have too much of something like shoes, purses, hair care products, paper products, make-up etc.

too many discs.. psshh...

I'm getting married in a couple months, still in school as well, but work full time making good money.. and i'm reaching my 150 thrower range (which about 100 are star plastic :doh: ) and like 100 collector range (why do the damn circles have to look so nice). My woman sometimes comments about me purchasing discs and what I tell her is that don't worry about what I am buying, I only buy discs when I know I have enough spare money; you buy stuff when you do not :p . On the note of selling things you enjoy, she did talk me into buying a crotch rocket, then after proposing to her suggested that I sell it because it's dangerous lol... It's all good though.. she fully supports me playing almost as much as I want. And as I am about to start doing is selling some I dont use that much or at all (buy more I do use :D ) and wait to start making the big bucks before starting my personal DG Museum. Good Luck Bro, pick your battles, just keep playing

Anyone want to buy a ton of star plastic or circle stamp throwers :-D hahaah

my brothers EX Wife made him sell his vintage HARO BMX bike that he built himself from parts he ordered from the US, back before ebay and the like. He STILL resents her to this day and longs to refind his lost pride! Sell a few token pieces, but let her know they appreciate in value if left unthrown and she will come around.

Stand up for yourself. If you are getting nagged at before you are married about discs, expect that to continue and get worse.

The best compliment I get is how good my wife and I are apart. We do our own things and enjoy being away from each other just as much as being together. If your future wife is giving you a hard time, chances are she is a lazy a$$ and has nothing of her own to go do. Just my experience.

Good luck. Keep discing!

^^^ uh yeah exactly what i was thinking. i had to beg my wife to go out and get more friends or just find something she likes to do to pass the time.

Tell her if she wants you to sell discs, she's gotta sell some of those shoes/pieces of jewelry. She shouldn't ask you to part with things you cherish unless she is willing to do the same.
If she refuses, you should refuse to sell your plastic. If she still nags about it, good luck with that....sounds like a controlling person who has a 'do as I say not as I do' attitude.

I hope she comes around for your sake, and if she doesn't, I hope she makes you REALLY happy, cause it sounds like discs are gonna be the first thing she tries to change about you....

Stand up for yourself. If you are getting nagged at before you are married about discs, expect that to continue and get worse.

The best compliment I get is how good my wife and I are apart. We do our own things and enjoy being away from each other just as much as being together. If your future wife is giving you a hard time, chances are she is a lazy a$$ and has nothing of her own to go do. Just my experience.

Good luck. Keep discing!

I knew a couple who worked together, had the same hobbies etc and would pine for eachother if one had to go away for more then a day...that isnt love, thats sick to me. Most dg'ers I know, thier partners love that they have a hobby that gives THEM time to do other things.

Mind you, my gf loves DG as much as me :doh:

Looks like you made up your mind to sell some stuff. Good luck to you and congrats on the upcoming wedding.

My wife thinks I'm a big dork, playing with round bits of plastic is not helping my image. But I think it's healthy to have hobbies outside of the relationship. I feel your pain with having a disc collection. Mine is paltry compared to the majority here, but I don't think there's any harm in picking up a new disc now and then, and she doesn't nag me too much about it.

I generally try to play when she's going to gone anyway, but she'd rather watch me play rugby. I may get her out one of these days to try d-golf, or at least walk our doggies while I'm playing.

You should tell her the interest rate on your plastic is a much better bet than your 401K.

Example: I collected for 5-6 years from about 1988-1994 - twelve years later I sold about 100 discs for about 4K - that I paid on average less than $5 a piece for. Thats 700% return. Don't sell dude.

You should tell her the interest rate on your plastic is a much better bet than your 401K.

Example: I collected for 5-6 years from about 1988-1994 - twelve years later I sold about 100 discs for about 4K - that I paid on average less than $5 a piece for. Thats 700% return. Don't sell dude.

Wow that's awesome! I've got some cd's that are making like 2%. I need to get rid of those and buy a giant stack of plastic! (that I keep in a separate vault that my future wife has no knowledge of)

I'm 34, married, one kid and I agree with this sentiment. It's not disrespectful to keep your hobbies after you get married. It is a red flag for someone to try to control your hobbies. I've seen this happen on many forums, it is not specific to disc golf. Very common situation with musicians. Girls meet guys while they're in bands, and then after marriage they get pissed that their husbands want to keep playing.
I play disc golf for the honeys. :cool:

Latest posts