• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Give me your best putting tips

Nose up (dead putter zero glide), 2 pumps, correct stance if necessary,feel good about (visualize it going in).

This works inside of 20 meters for me.

Stop over analyzing the hell out of it. Pick what's comfortable and do it.

Think not, do!

I've been obsessed with figuring out putting for a while - there's lots of great advice in this thread.

I've found that your routine is the foundation for a solid and confident putt. Here's an excerpt from a sample lesson: (you can read the rest here)

Awareness of Your Routine (9 minutes)
  1. Putt for 9 minutes, and only pay attention to your routine. Use your routine that you'd use during a round.
  2. Incorporate your Big Mind and pay attention to each piece of your routine.
  3. Putt at a distance where you are hitting 100% of the putts you make.
  4. Start at 10 feet, and move out 5 feet every time you hit ten in a row. Stay if you miss one out of ten. As soon as you miss 2, move in 5 feet.

Examples of what you might notice: Do you set your feet up first? Do you lean back on your leg before your release? Where is your breath? Where are you focusing on the chains (or pole)? Do you take practice swings? Where do you put your hand on the disc?

Note: Your mind WILL wander, and you'll forget to notice your routine. This is OK, so long as it hasn't been more than a minute. Take a deep breath and refocus on your routine.

It's OK to start your exercise over if your mind wanders for too long.

Tips
  • Approach every putt EXACTLY as you would in a round. It's ineffective to hold a stack of putters and fire away.
  • We are looking for quality not quantity. I'd rather you take 10 focused putts with complete observance of your routine than firing off 100 putts without setting up.
  • Everyone's form is different. Love your routine, for it is your own. Own it.

You can read the rest of the sample lesson here.

Confidence. It starts in your practice.. putt from 15 feet if you need to, just hit them all.. Then go onto the course, and know you're going to hit your putts.. Then put it into the basket. It's not as hard as we make it out to be.

Learn your personal "eye dominance."

Use that knowledge.

Make more putts.

I agree 100% with this.

Also if you find yourself in a slump. Get a buddy to stand to the left side of the basket act like you are going to throw it to him and your putts should go in. If you are right eye dominate aiming just a little to the left on your putts will help make putting easier.

Check your hand on release.If your hand is flailing to the side then your putts will pull to the right. You want to be shaking hands with the basket.

If you are missing high or low check your release point. If it's too high you will hit high,if it's too low you will hit the pole or bottom of basket. Your release point should be anywhere in between the bottom chain link to the top chain link.

Remember to start out with your weight forward so when you start your motion the weight should come back and then back to where you had your weight forward. If you start just straight up and down or with your weight already to the back you won't have the range of motion to get that straight line force on your putts. If you ever wondered why your putts sometimes hyzer out or go right instead of going straight? Not starting with your weight forward causes this and keeps you from having that full range of motion resulting in this type of putt. Also not getting that full range of motion can cause your wrist to flail out too resulting in a putt that goes right.

Also remember to exhale when you putt.If you are not breathing when you putt it can cause all sorts of problems even if you have the mechanics right.So remember to exhale on your release.

Crap missed my edit time.

Two other things. Do not take your line of site off the basket. The only time you should look away from the basket is when your putt has made it to the basket. Taking your eyes away for just that split second can cause you to miss putts.

Keep your chin down. When you raise your chin up it can cause your release point to be either higher or lower than what you wanted.

Practice.
Find a way to putt that works for you, can be easliy repeated everytime and keep it simple.
Don't putt like Paul, Nate, Dave etc just because you want to look like them or they do it this way, it has to work for you!
If you miss, before you pick up your mark replay (visualise) your putt and identify your mistake.
If you miss don't kill yourself over it, move on, get over it quick.
Before you putt smile (I'm told Julianna Korver said that).
If your putting is going through a slump, practice your upshots for a while. The closer you are the less you have to putt!

Practice.
Find a way to putt that works for you, can be easliy repeated everytime and keep it simple.
Don't putt like Paul, Nate, Dave etc just because you want to look like them or they do it this way, it has to work for you!
If you miss, before you pick up your mark replay (visualise) your putt and identify your mistake.
If you miss don't kill yourself over it, move on, get over it quick.
Before you putt smile (I'm told Julianna Korver said that).
If your putting is going through a slump, practice your upshots for a while. The closer you are the less you have to putt!

I like what you said about smiling. Reason she said that is it reminds your body to breathe.

If you were to make a fake smile whats the first thing you do? you breathe in and then out.

It's a cool little thing to do if you have problems remembering to breathe

I am in the worst putting slump I have ever been in. Can't make crap right now. This has always been the worst part of my game. If I could putt well I could play some great rounds. I can throw with good power, over 400-425 ft golf lines BH and a good 350-375 golf line fh. I am pretty accurate off both sides and have a good approach game. If only I could putt I feel I could play consistent 970 and above rated golf. I need your best tips to improve my putting. I use a slush style and most misses are to the right. Height is usually good. Thanks in advance.

Practice and patience. Try a different putter, or get a new one in the same mold.

Past, a little secret to shave strokes off your round

(Looks sneakily both ways and whispers) This is a little off track but here are 2 tips.

In addition to practicing your standard putting, practice the FH putt until you are comfortable with this alternative.

Tip 2, learn to turbo putt.

Shaved 3 strokes off my round this afternoon.

Giving tips for putting is tricky, there is no definitive proper way to do it. But these are the things that work for me.
-make sure your mold choice is something that feels good in hand.
-aim high and pick a strand of chain to aim at, instead of all of them.
-minimal arm movement. I more or less push my disc from my chest in a straight line when I putt, not a lot of spin.

First things first, you need to decide you are good putter. Your physical practice will not make you a good putter if you are weak mentally. You need to choose be confident in every putt. When you miss, you cannot think, "Here we go again". You have to think that miss was a fluke and there is no way you can miss the next one. Irrational rock solid confidence is your friend.

So many great points in this awesome thread but the point above really resonates with me. Stepping up to a putt inside the circle, if you are not ASSUMING you will make that putt, the odds of making that putt plummet, no matter what your technique is.

Yes, you need technique to putt. Yes, you need to practice that technique. But once you have your technique, no matter what that technique is, you need to make that technique your routine and you need to COMMIT to that technique and ASSUME that technique will make you score. What other choice do you have?

It's like getting a woman's # (if you like women.) Not too many Goslings, Zuckerbergs or TB12's reading this on DGCR, I wager, so, when talking to women, the rest of us need to commit to whatever game we have and be irrationally confident, EVERY TIME. Any wavering or lack of follow-through will DESTROY the odds of success.

You will miss putts, as you will be rejected by women, no matter what. But it's your ability to blow off the misses and maintain your confidence & focus for the next shot that will MAKE THE DIFFERENCE and increase your odds of success over an entire round or tournament.

I've watched McBeth for a little while now and while I think he has the best technical chops in the world, other readers might make a case for someone else's technical game. What is not up for debate, in my view, is that PM has the best mental chops in the world. I see this in his final rounds. Over the last few years, he has won so many times on the final round, running off the pace and that's down to his mental game. His focus & confidence is incredible. He never compounds a bad shot with another bad shot. Every throw, every putt has its own life. Hardly any of us can ever hope to duplicate McBeth's technical skill. But his mental game is within everyone's reach, in my opinion.

All players must learn not to sabotage their technical abilities, however good or bad they may be, with weak confidence & a weak mental constitution.

Love, love, love the above quote.

Practice.

All of the above..confidence, rhythm, practice and knowing my putter all helped me build consistency in my putting game.

4. practice an hour a day.

Any practice is better than no practice.

Off the Course- Practice.

Confidence. It starts in your practice.. putt from 15 feet if you need to, just hit them all.. Then go onto the course, and know you're going to hit your putts.. Then put it into the basket. It's not as hard as we make it out to be.

Practice.

Practice and patience.

Came here to post this, knowing that it had probably been said ad nauseam...but the truth of it is this is the best advice I can give. My putting has improved immensely from simply dedicating time to my practice basket in the back yard. Consistency and confidence will come from getting out and throwing discs at your basket for at least 15 minutes a day.

"Putt through the chains. Not at them" Heard nikko say this in a putting clinic video i watched when i first started playing and its stuck with me ever since. i still say it to myself walking to to almost every putt that is under pressure.

Practice. Repetition helps muscle memory

Confidence. Thinking you're gonna make it is half the battle.

This all equals… Stickin Putts!

Latest posts