• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Glaring omission in the top 10

Thanks for the feedback. I suppose that does seem pretty unintelligent of me when you look at it from that perspective.

I play from the longs on every single course I review so there is a consistent standard. There are very very very few courses that have longs that put most holes in the boring tweener range for me that also have shorter tee pads appropriate for me to have exciting birdies on many holes - most short tee pads are too short for me to provide a fun challenge.

On top of that (and more importantly), there is such a huge amount of variations in scenarios between basket and tee combinations that if you really think about it, there is no other way to consistently rate the playing experience of a course.

Let me help you "wrap your head around" my approach to reviews: think of movie reviews or restaurant reviews. They are critiques by the individual consumer where they express their reaction to the enjoyment they experienced.

What you seem to be after is a PREview.....a write-up to tell you exactly what to expect. That can be found much more quickly from the data on the front page of each course, the pictures and the maps. No need to slog through tons of reviews for that info.

And my ratings, no matter how foolish they seem, never have more than a tiny tiny impact on the overall rating of a course.

Maybe you suffer from not knowing what set of tees to play because so many courses aren't consistent, and most have no thought of the PDGA developed colored based skill ratings.

WTF are black or orange tees??

So when you step onto a course and see two sets of tees, I take it you just shoot for the ones at the back. This would seem obvious to most, but I know Dave likes BLUE tees. Sometimes Blue tees are the third tee in a Red, White, Blue arrangement. But when you have stuff like orange, red, black - a player who goes by consistency and some logic/rule behind the tee design may find himself playing above or below his skill level which in turn can lead to a frustrating or lackluster round.

Selah Ranch! 2 courses on site, one has 18 reviews and one has 16. I don't understand why more people won't review it. The 'played' numbers are huge but people just won't review them. And one of those has a perfect 5 rating.

Selah Ranch! 2 courses on site, one has 18 reviews and one has 16. I don't understand why more people won't review it. The 'played' numbers are huge but people just won't review them. And one of those has a perfect 5 rating.

Cause I am the suck at writing and spelling. When I played it, it wasn't even officially open.

I'll say it is one of my most favorite and I've played some goodies.

There seems to be some belief that all disc golfers fall neatly into, what is it, four skill level categories and one's experience playing a particular set of tees will magically increase one's enjoyment exponentially...I call BS.

Noone want's to give it a 4.5!

Cause I am the suck at writing and spelling. When I played it, it wasn't even officially open.

I'll say it is one of my most favorite and I've played some goodies.

It's the thought that counts! just throw down a 5 Disc rating so we can get the total up to 20 and get that bad boy in the top 10! I plan on playing it in the fall but I've heard only good things.

Maple Hill is up at the top of my list, a:eek::eek::eek:bove BRP, Tyler and Granite Ridge and about even with Blueberry but probably edging ahead due to the multiple layouts. It's easily in my top 5 out of 635 played, got a 5 rating from me.

Whoa! You're two thirds of the way there. that's insane. Good work.:eek:

Noone want's to give it a 4.5!

Or it's legit... Seems good from the pics and descriptions.

Creekside I can see a 4.5 if you are foolish and walk it on a hot day. Lakeside with a cart (and probably without) is a 5 all day long.

Lakeside is a legitimate 5, it's either 2 or 3 on my overall list depending on the day you ask me. Creekside is significantly less interesting IMO, and is down near the bottom of my 4.5 rated courses (meaning it's still a great course worth traveling to all on it's own). That has nothing to do with the carts for me, the cart is fun but I would happily walk those courses and the rating would be the same either way.

I am surprised that nobody has given less than a 5 on Lakeside. Based on the pics, I think somebody would get pissed in the heat or with the water and give the course a 4 or something. It's only a matter of time.

So, if you are going to spend the night, eat and play both courses with a cart, what's the final bill gonna come to ? If you're gonna drop two bills, they both better be fives...

Last edited:
There seems to be some belief that all disc golfers fall neatly into, what is it, four skill level categories and one's experience playing a particular set of tees will magically increase one's enjoyment exponentially...I call BS.

Competitive players do, it's been tested and it works. However, there are more rec players below the red skill level than all of the players in the four skill levels. That's why it doesn't matter what skill level tees they play. They can have fun even from the toughest tees.

So, if you are going to spend the night, eat and play both courses with a cart, what's the final bill gonna come to ? If you're gonna drop two bills, they both better be fives...

If you stay there, you get a cart included. The way to do it split the Corral House with a group of 4-6. Probably get the cost for two days of golf down to under $100, even with a stay.

We didn't stay, but the cost for two people to play and rent a cart for the day came to $70. I had a blast throwing the shots out there, but even if I lived close there's no way I'd go there more than once every couple years.

Competitive players do, it's been tested and it works. However, there are more rec players below the red skill level than all of the players in the four skill levels. That's why it doesn't matter what skill level tees they play. They can have fun even from the toughest tees.

Nope, sorry. Are you telling me the players that complained about playing "courses appropriate for their skill level" at Worlds this year secretly really enjoyed playing those courses and were attempting to hide their true feelings? Or maybe they just aren't really in tune with their own feelings and this system knows how they really feel better than they know themselves? That really is a truly amazing invention. Can it tell you what I'm thinking right now? lol.

The skill level ranges have nothing to do with feelings just stats. Sorry if you got the idea that feelings come into play.

What I was saying was that a lot goes into whether someone enjoys a course besides it being designed for his or her particular skill level. It seems that everyone here was attempting to convince a course reviewer to play certain tees that match his skill level and voila, he'd enjoy the experience so much more. My point was that it may or may not be true, the enjoyment increase that is, it isn't a gimme. I have no problem with categorizing skill levels, make it 4, 2, 7, whatever.

That's true. From a practical standpoint, a well designed course for your skill level can be frustrating since you know you should be able to play it well. Someone made a comment about going to Worlds this year and discovering he couldn't hit lines even though he was theoretically playing courses at his skill level.

Latest posts