• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Glow coating vs Weight for Stability

I believe the issue here is that some people think stable equals overstable. It does not. Stable = neutral. Calling an overstable disc 'more stable' is a lazy misuse of terminology. Albeit terminology that is admittedly confusing for some people.

The original poster's question probably applies in the bold part of the stability range noted below:
meathook>>>overstable>>>slightly overstable>>>stable(aka neutral)>>>slightly understable>>>understable>>>uncontrollable/roller

More precisely stated, their query would look something like: 'does a glow disc behave more or less overstable than a comparable non-glow disc'?

Personally when I read "Resistant to change of position" and "not easily moved or disturbed" I think that this definition definitely applies more to "overstable" discs like a firebird than "stable" discs like a teebird. A new, typical firebird is much more resistant to turn than a teebird. If you throw a new, typical firebird soft, hard, or very hard it will always fly 'hyzer'. At most it will fly straight for a short while before hyzering". If you throw a new, typical teebird soft it will hyzer, hard it will go very straight for a long while before hyzering, and very hard it may even turn before hyzering back. When your firebird and teebird get beat up a little, and get beat up a little more, the disparity increases.

Or I could go in less depth than I just did and simply say that a firebird is much more trustworthy (synonymous with stable) than a teebird.

Plus, saying more stable and less stable is much more simple and easily understood than saying more more overstable, less overstable, more stable, less stable, more understable, and less understable.

Your use of the word stable is a misconception

(Thread derail sequence, initiated)

This lol

Always thought glow were more overstable than their non glow counterparts :doh: looks like I'm a little late to the party

Personally when I read "Resistant to change of position" and "not easily moved or disturbed" I think that this definition definitely applies more to "overstable" discs like a firebird than "stable" discs like a teebird. A new, typical firebird is much more resistant to turn than a teebird. If you throw a new, typical firebird soft, hard, or very hard it will always fly 'hyzer'. At most it will fly straight for a short while before hyzering". If you throw a new, typical teebird soft it will hyzer, hard it will go very straight for a long while before hyzering, and very hard it may even turn before hyzering back. When your firebird and teebird get beat up a little, and get beat up a little more, the disparity increases.

Or I could go in less depth than I just did and simply say that a firebird is much more trustworthy (synonymous with stable) than a teebird.

Plus, saying more stable and less stable is much more simple and easily understood than saying more more overstable, less overstable, more stable, less stable, more understable, and less understable.
You can argue this all you want, but a definition from one of the originators of equipment for the sport holds monumentally more weight than yours.

From Innova's FAQ:
  • Stable
    • The tendency of a disc to remain straight through most of the flight.
  • Understable/Turnover
    • The tendency of a disc to turn to the right during the high speed portion of the flight for a RHBH thrower.
  • Overstable
    • The tendency of a disc to turn to the left at high or low speeds for a RHBH thrower.

Threads like these are the reason people with good information/knowledge on this site post less and less frequently (or at least in particular sections of DGCR).

My head hurt from page one.

Glow discs are not more overstable, it is just a wide spread misconception.

FTFY

You don't understand stability. More stable DOES NOT MEAN MORE STRAIGHT! Stability ranges from more stable to less stable and all discs fall into that range from "overstable" to "understable".

To the bold: yes it does. :doh:. Won't bother with the rest, sorry.

We should just replace the word "stable" with "neutral" so we have understable, neutral, and overstable - putting an end to all the "more stable" or "less stable" debates.

+1

I believe the issue here is that some people think stable equals overstable. It does not. Stable = neutral. Calling an overstable disc 'more stable' is a lazy misuse of terminology. Albeit terminology that is admittedly confusing for some people.

The original poster's question probably applies in the bold part of the stability range noted below:
meathook>>>overstable>>>slightly overstable>>>stable(aka neutral)>>>slightly understable>>>understable>>>uncontrollable/roller

More precisely stated, their query would look something like: 'does a glow disc behave more or less overstable than a comparable non-glow disc'?

Also +1

'Hyzer' refers to the release angle of the disc, not the flight pattern of the disc. A disc does not 'hyzer' out, it fades. An understable disc does not flip then fly 'anhyzer,' it flips/turns.

If we are going to be nazis about the definiton of stable, understable, overstable, we might as well be nazis about all disc golf terminology.

Shut it Roc Lover:rolleyes:

Seriously though, if I don't tell them...who will? There's no arguement to be had, and I saw no honest trolling here, just misinformation.

1000336-02-00-00-00_lg.png

Sometimes i throw too hard and it flies too much anhyzer, and there seems to be more less spin making it go some straight. And other times, i throw too hyzer and the disc goes not ever straight, even a little.

The most overstable Destroyers (in my experience) are domey Champion Destroyers. As long as it's domey, it should be very overstable regardless of weight.

ive noticed this as well i have a green 151g blizzard destroyer with a nice dome and a 137g one thats flat as a pancake i can hyzer flip the 137 but the 151 doesnt turn over at all. thats why its more important to look and feel the disc then just to buy the name. especalily with innova cause it seems like everytime i buy the same mold the disc flys a little different. not much but a noticeable amount.

I got another question. Does wind affect the weight of a disc more, or the mold of a disc? Example, a max weight Destroyer vs a lighter weight dominator (faster but less fade rating), which disc will better resist getting flipped to the right on a backhand from the wind?

Latest posts