• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Glow in the dark baskets.

Huk Finn

* Ace Member *
Glow in the dark powder coated baskets. A very popular basket manufacturer will have some out by the end of summer. Charge in the sun all day, glow at night.
That's all I've got. Discuss. (I guess I could have posted this in equipment)

If we're talking realistic ideas, then yeah that's not bad as far as some ideas I've heard. Theoretically - lets take it a step further. A basket, with LED's built into the frame, with an independant solar panel and battery on each hole on top of the basket (covered with some sort of protective bubble) that charges it during the day. And it has a light sensor that starts to slowly turn the lights on once the sun starts to set. Of course this might be harder to accomplish on a more wooded course, something a little more open, and in those areas that get a crapload of good spring/summer/fall weather, it would be pretty awesome. Think about how many rounds you've started toward dusk that you thought you'd have plenty of time to finish only to get to hole 14 an it's too dark to see the basket an so you give up an head for your car. This is all theoretical of course, because I'm sure it would cost a buttload to do something like this, but theoretically, it's awesome.

The powder coating won't glow longer than 2 hours. LED baskets are a nice idea, but economically unfeasible unless its a popular course.
I know its thinking of those who only have evening hours to play.

Last edited:
if you put a led's or anything on a basket, punks at my home course would figure out some way to bust it. if you put a protective bubble over a solar panel on a basket, if the kids couldnt break it off, they would probably sharpie the thing so no light could get to the panel

Even with the pros/cons to glow in the dark baskets whether it be powder coated or LED. I pretty sure it won't be fun hitting a tree every 15 ft. because its too dark to see them. I understand the benefits to having this at the evening/dusk time of day, and it would work really well for big open fields. I just don't have too many of those around me. Just my 2 cents though. Seems fun just not practical

Even with the pros/cons to glow in the dark baskets whether it be powder coated or LED. I pretty sure it won't be fun hitting a tree every 15 ft. because its too dark to see them. I understand the benefits to having this at the evening/dusk time of day, and it would work really well for big open fields. I just don't have too many of those around me. Just my 2 cents though. Seems fun just not practical

I take it you've never played a glow round. Glow golf is a blast!

One of our club members made portable basket lights. He accepted people's old putter and fixed a circle of LEDs that run off of a 9 volt battery on the bottom plate. They were cheap to make and are also portable.

twin parks country club out here used to have some solar powered led lights on every basket of theres but they wound up being destroyed by water/impact etc. very good idea for golf but obviously only if theyre protected from the elements.

All that's really needed is a strip of reflective tape, IMO every basket manufacturer should have install reflective tape, like the discraft logo should be reflective in the chainstars, but they're not. I think if a basket manufacturer did this I would be more likely to buy their product. Anyway, then all you need is a good flashlight off the tee, works wonders.

Flashlights are okay, if and only if your playing by yourself. Because the "White" light it reflects will blind everyone that's looking your way. IMHO, they'ers better methods to use to share a friendly round of "NIGHT" DG.

I have a couple methods that I use.

I have an old plastic bucket/ pail that has a camera flash duct taped to an opening that I cut out of the bottom of the bucket. I always say.... clear before I zap my glow in the dark disc. I do uliminate a small ring of "white" light around the bucket, but the bucket is face down to the ground and I have said clear for everyone to be aware of my actions and not to look in my direction. The disc stays lit for the whole hole. And the bucket can be used a your bag.

The other method I use is a blacklight wand that is sold at various outlets. Blacklights don't blind other players light white lights do.
IMO, using a normal disc that has a little light taped on the disc is not truely playing "GLOW" DG. I know a number of players that use this method and I feel they're cheating as they're not using "GLOW" plastic.

Those little plastic night sticks (or the kind that you can snap together to form a ring) that one breaks to uliminate works fine for "lighting" up a basket and the last group through can take them off the basket as they play through

Here is the ones Horning's has. the cages protect the lights but the trees keep them from being on long.
3a9cd782.jpg

I was at Target recently and they had little LED+solar panel garden path lights for a buck or two a piece. Now I'm not sure how well these work as I didn't buy any, but they have all the parts (LED, solar panel, battery, light sensor) to work well in a sunny location basket. It probably wouldn't be a good option for a public course unless you could figure out a way to ruggedize them, but it might work well for a home course / practice basket.

I was at Target recently and they had little LED+solar panel garden path lights for a buck or two a piece. Now I'm not sure how well these work as I didn't buy any, but they have all the parts (LED, solar panel, battery, light sensor) to work well in a sunny location basket. It probably wouldn't be a good option for a public course unless you could figure out a way to ruggedize them, but it might work well for a home course / practice basket.

We've used these too, works well, a year late 70% are still functioning, even in winter. Theft is a problem though

We've used these too, works well, a year late 70% are still functioning, even in winter. Theft is a problem though

I seen some that fit on top of wooden post. I wanted to use them on the tee posts but many parks close at dark anyway.

I will do this on our private course eventually.

IMHO it's too much of a hassle than it's worth. Lost a disc playing glow, wasn't too happy.

Jebus some of you guys are downers... glow golf is the ****. who cares if you lose a disc go buy another one. if you hit a tree pick up your disc and hit another one. life is good, live it up.

Latest posts