• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Drivers] Go to distance disc for those who throw under 400ft

Inertia and Flow. My Flow seems to be one of the more stable ones, flies like a Boatman with a little less HSS. Inertia probably beats it on raw distance though.

If you are throwing a teebird 300" and throwing a wraith 300", what would possess you to want to throw the wraith besides a headwind? Curious.

I can throw a Teebird 350'+ and I can throw a Destroyer 450'+.

If im looking at a hole that's 350' but has a low ceiling and I need a skip at the end, then I'm throwing a destroyer.

Also please tell all the pros that throw Destroyers on 300' hyzer holes that they don't know what they're doing.

When I used to throw less far it was always the Valkyrie or Surge for me. Valks have this magical flight to them that I cannot put into words, but they go far as **** for not having as wide of a rim [more aerodynamic] as many other molds.

The Surge was always hiding in the Wraiths (now Destroyers) shadow and doesn't get enough love.

I can touch 400+ on occasion, but i mainly hit 350-275 consistently. My bread and butter drivers are Champion Bosses and a Star Destroyer. My Bolt and Beast are brought out on occasion on anny holes or obstacle holes.

Idk if people are mad at my Valk statement, but I wasn't trying to offend. Just trying to offer a thought based on my experience.

I can throw a Valk farther than a Tern. It's my understanding that this is because a disc like a Valkyrie is easier to "get up to speed" because it's a lower speed disc. Maybe my understand is wrong, but it doesn't really matter. All that matters to me is that I get more distance out of a Valkyrie than a Tern.

I'm not Paul McBeth. I'm not a "weekend warrior". I'm not playing the game for fame or fortune. I'm just a dude that likes playing disc golf and tried offering a personal opinion.

My 7 y/o nephew throws a 135g Tern farther than anything else.

I like a Proline Hurricane. A farily beat one, though.

It depends on if the current max D is 300-330, or 330-360+. That likely indicates if there is much snap happening, along with other issues.

Not to feed the high speed driver war that is happening on here...I just think that if the range is in the 300-330 area high speed discs will just be more nose angle sensitive and tend to have a larger fade than intended, even if they are of the Vulcan/Tern/whatever understability (never thrown an unLace but I've heard they are very US...so not sure on that one). In this case I would maybe say a Saint. They are fairly nose forgiving compared to speed 12+ and go quite straight after they've hit some things. Easy 350' on low lines and mellow straight-ish.

If the distance is 350+ then the Saint is more of a long/easy fairway driver to me (albeit wind sensitive), so I would say more the Tern type disc to get the distance into the next driver category. It's been recommended in this thread enough that there is something to it. Vulcan seems a little touchier but it goes far if it behaves. I have also thrown worn in Havocs that go on nice lines but they seemed pretty sensitive...I have never thrown a fresh one so I don't know how much time they took to get that flippy. I would still stick with the Tern suggestion, unless there is access to a beat up Destroyer or other OS driver that flips. That will be close to the same D as the Tern likely, but more consistent.

Sometimes a Star Tern, other times a Bolt, Rampage, or Amp. I've seen my Star Vulcan go a long way, usually long and wrong.

I can throw a Teebird 350'+ and I can throw a Destroyer 450'+.

If im looking at a hole that's 350' but has a low ceiling and I need a skip at the end, then I'm throwing a destroyer.

Also please tell all the pros that throw Destroyers on 300' hyzer holes that they don't know what they're doing.

Powering down a disc causes it to fly more overstable, it isn't rocket science... Just simple physics. Sometimes useful for skips, yes, but wasn't this thread about the best distance driver for 400 ft and under arms, not excuses/justifications for aforementioned arms to throw high speed plastic?

Last edited:
My go-to Distance discs are:
Champion Terns - I have a few of them.
Champion Valkyrie - the rim is oddly warped but it still goes far.
Champion Krait
DX Teebird - don't have to throw it as hard.

They're all the discs I realized were consistently going farther and in the targeted direction. Although as my throwing-form gets better and consistent, I'm getting more confidence in my other discs.

But honestly, I throw specific discs because of their bright colors - easier to find. As much as I like throwing that free black Diamond Light from PDGA, not particularly fun to look for in any area other than a desert. Which is probably why I should more on my form instead of throwing it into wooded areas.

My go-to Distance discs are:
Champion Terns - I have a few of them.
Champion Valkyrie - the rim is oddly warped but it still goes far.
Champion Krait
DX Teebird - don't have to throw it as hard.

Have you tried the Gstar Krait? I get great s-shots out of it. Also awesome for placement drives. I was thinking about picking up a champ Krait if they're beefy.

I can throw a Valk farther than a Tern. It's my understanding that this is because a disc like a Valkyrie is easier to "get up to speed" because it's a lower speed disc. Maybe my understand is wrong, but it doesn't really matter. All that matters to me is that I get more distance out of a Valkyrie than a Tern.

I cannot, and I throw neither 400. Other than an unpredictable Air King that gets me in trouble more often than not, Terns are the longest discs I've thrown.

I cannot, and I throw neither 400. Other than an unpredictable Air King that gets me in trouble more often than not, Terns are the longest discs I've thrown.

I can't throw 400 feet either. I may have come close once or twice, and it was with the Valkyrie both times. The Tern does have a significant advantage in terms of glide, though.

It depends on if the current max D is 300-330, or 330-360+. That likely indicates if there is much snap happening, along with other issues.

Not to feed the high speed driver war that is happening on here...I just think that if the range is in the 300-330 area high speed discs will just be more nose angle sensitive and tend to have a larger fade than intended, even if they are of the Vulcan/Tern/whatever understability (never thrown an unLace but I've heard they are very US...so not sure on that one). In this case I would maybe say a Saint. They are fairly nose forgiving compared to speed 12+ and go quite straight after they've hit some things. Easy 350' on low lines and mellow straight-ish.

If the distance is 350+ then the Saint is more of a long/easy fairway driver to me (albeit wind sensitive), so I would say more the Tern type disc to get the distance into the next driver category. It's been recommended in this thread enough that there is something to it. Vulcan seems a little touchier but it goes far if it behaves. I have also thrown worn in Havocs that go on nice lines but they seemed pretty sensitive...I have never thrown a fresh one so I don't know how much time they took to get that flippy. I would still stick with the Tern suggestion, unless there is access to a beat up Destroyer or other OS driver that flips. That will be close to the same D as the Tern likely, but more consistent.

:clap:

I've never had a long arm (so many years of bad habits). When I first got a Valk, I was playing regularly and couldn't muscle it any longer than any other driver I had, so 280' - 300' was about it. Now, after a long stretch of playing only a handful of rounds each year, I'm rebuilding my drive technique--too old to muscle drives at all and wanting more distance.

I've found that when I get the timing correct--throwing stationary--I've been able to put a Tern and an unLace well past 300'. I can say that I easily get more distance from those than a Valk. I suspect that when I get the full x-step back into throws that I'll be able to get a lot more distance with all of them. At that point, it may prove interesting to see how a Valk compares to a Tern for me.

So, yeah, could never throw a Valk 400' and find more distance with a Tern/unLace. (And right now am only bagging fairway drivers while working on form.)